Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw it. Finally. Sorry I did. What piece of complete utterly stupid garbage. I normally like Del Toro, I didn't realise from the marketing that this was aimed at low IQ pre-pubescents with ADD.

The only decent sequence in the entire mess was the little eastern Schindler's List kid in the flashback. She also gave the only decent performance. I thought this was supposed to be a fun movie. It wasn't. It was just dumb and cheesy. Made MOS look like Lawrence of Arabia.

The FX scenes were so badly choreographed and framed, you could hardly tell who was doing what to who. Not that anyone cared after the Laurel and Hardy scientist duo arrived straight from a kids pre-school tv show.

Just saw it. Finally. Sorry I did. What piece of complete utterly stupid garbage. I normally like Del Toro, I didn't realise from the marketing that this was aimed at low IQ pre-pubescents with ADD.

The only decent sequence in the entire mess was the little eastern Schindler's List kid in the flashback. She also gave the only decent performance. I thought this was supposed to be a fun movie. It wasn't. It was just dumb and cheesy. Made MOS look like Lawrence of Arabia.

The FX scenes were so badly choreographed and framed, you could hardly tell who was doing what to who. Not that anyone cared after the Laurel and Hardy scientist duo arrived straight from a kids pre-school tv show.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I thought it was perfectly done. I made absolutely everything out crystal clear.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. I thought it was perfectly done. I made absolutely everything out crystal clear.

You are dead to me.

For me Rory is right, for characters the size of high rises, many, not all, but many of their battles were difficult to see what was going on.

Friend request sent.

For me Rory is right, for characters the size of high rises, many, not all, but many of their battles were difficult to see what was going on.
While I agree on that matter I think it was too make it easier on the CGI department.

Would I have liked to see all the battles from a farther perspective? Of course, as all you saw was water being drown around and explosions everywhere.

I don't remember the last movie that was so CGI heavy that offered scenes like this taken with a step back from their faces.

Eh who am I kidding..I just wish we got more battles in the day light! That bit where Striker Eureka was fighting in the day light was my favorite bit.

While I agree on that matter I think it was too make it easier on the CGI department.

Would I have liked to see all the battles from a farther perspective? Of course, as all you saw was water being drown around and explosions everywhere.

I don't remember the last movie that was so CGI heavy that offered scenes like this taken with a step back from their faces.

Eh who am I kidding..I just wish we got more battles in the day light! That bit where Striker Eureka was fighting in the day light was my favorite bit.

:exactly:

Category 5 reveal 95% ruined by environment/camera distance/movement choices.

But now that i've seen the final monster it was no big loss, too many octopus legs...meh.

Why is it that Godzilla monsters of men in suits are more memorable than most of the Kaiju in this movie. :dunno

I can't stand over complicated designs, my pet peeve. :lol

I know that i'm coming off as if I hated this movie, I didn't.

Best of the summer so far.

Stayed till end of credits this time. My kids loved it. It was cool seeing Perlman live and at the last seconds before the end of credits came up you heard a Kaiju growl.....hmmm

Stayed till end of credits this time. My kids loved it. It was cool seeing Perlman live and at the last seconds before the end of credits came up you heard a Kaiju growl.....hmmm

Last growl would only mean something if this movie had made money.

This is the last PR movie.

with such a large budget youre probably right.
Theres slight hope for a really strong DVD/BluRay/Digital market.

I remember very high DVD sales played a huge part in getting Hellboy2 greenlit.

My son remains captivated by this movie a week later. He is storyboarding the trailer for the sequel and designing all the new kaiju. His sequel will revolve around the two scientists learning to control the kaiju through drifting. He's got it all figured out and is going through our household supply of blank paper and pencils illustrating it all.

o03r.jpg

You sure he's not drawing monsters he saw underneath the bed making energy for Monsters Inc.

My son remains captivated by this movie a week later. He is storyboarding the trailer for the sequel and designing all the new kaiju. His sequel will revolve around the two scientists learning to control the kaiju through drifting. He's got it all figured out and is going through our household supply of blank paper and pencils illustrating it all.

o03r.jpg

That actually sounds like a direction they could go for the sequel :lol

You're son sounds like the kind of kid that gets inspired and grows up to make his own monster movies :rock

o03r.jpg

At last I can see what the monsters looked like. :hi5:

I finally got around to seeing this. After the lousy summer we've had, I was pretty skeptical. I wasn't a fan of Star Trek or Man of Steel.

I really enjoyed this! The first 10 minutes really sucked me in. There was almost nothing original in the film, and yet the whole thing worked for me. Characters weren't original, and yet the added enough development to them for me to care. Story wasn't original, and yet the way the entire thing was edited, I cared. Kaiju weren't that original, but they added enough info on the Kaiju to make them interesting. I would agree that sometimes they were hard to make out exactly what they looked like though.

Visually, the film was gorgeous. Outside of a few scenes that were uber close-ups of action, I could tell what was going on, unlike Man of Steel. The Jaeger's had some really cool weapons, and did way more than simply punch (unlike Man of Steel). The sense of scale of the film was insane. The fight rehearsal for Raleigh's partner, again not original, and yet very well done.

Comedy was not overly physically goofy. Ron Pearlman commanded every second he was on screen.

Loved the music. Really got you into the fun of the movie.

Very fun movie overall. Definite blu-ray purchase (although if there was a movie made to be seen in IMAX, this was it)

Last edited:
I finally got around to seeing this. After the lousy summer we've had, I was pretty skeptical. I wasn't a fan of Star Trek or Man of Steel.

I really enjoyed this! The first 10 minutes really sucked me in. There was almost nothing original in the film, and yet the whole thing worked for me. Characters weren't original, and yet the added enough development to them for me to care. Story wasn't original, and yet the way the entire thing was edited, I cared. Kaiju weren't that original, but they added enough info on the Kaiju to make them interesting. I would agree that sometimes they were hard to make out exactly what they looked like though.

Visually, the film was gorgeous. Outside of a few scenes that were uber close-ups of action, I could tell what was going on, Man of Steel. The Jaeger's had some really cool weapons, and did way more than simply punch (unlike Man of Steel). The sense of scale of the film was insane. The fight rehearsal for Raleigh's partner, again not original, and yet very well done.

Comedy was not overly physically goofy. Ron Pearlman commanded every second he was on screen.

Loved the music. Really got you into the fun of the movie.

Very fun movie overall. Definite blu-ray purchase (although if there was a movie made to be seen in IMAX, this was it)

:exactly::lecture:exactly:

Back