Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, it's all about preference.

One thing to think about, 9mm ammo is less expensive, not by much, but when we were engaged in two full scale wars 9mm ammo was almost impossible to find...atleast around here. .380acp was hard to find too, of course.

I personally prefer 9mm over 40, just seem to shoot a little more accurately with it.

Kinda jonesin for a revolver lately though, and thinking on going for a Ruger GP100 357.. anyone have any experience with that one?

also, really bummed I can't find any .223 locally. Planning on going to the range with some buddies on Wednesday and don't want to use up the rest of my stash. Can't wait till all this BS blows over... ugh!

Again, it's all about preference.

One thing to think about, 9mm ammo is less expensive, not by much, but when we were engaged in two full scale wars 9mm ammo was almost impossible to find...atleast around here. .380acp was hard to find too, of course.

9mm is hard to find right now, another reason why I want a 40

I personally prefer 9mm over 40, just seem to shoot a little more accurately with it.

Kinda jonesin for a revolver lately though, and thinking on going for a Ruger GP100 357.. anyone have any experience with that one?

also, really bummed I can't find any .223 locally. Planning on going to the range with some buddies on Wednesday and don't want to use up the rest of my stash. Can't wait till all this BS blows over... ugh!

I own a 4" barrel model. Love it

nice! Yeah, the 4" would be my preference if I can find one. Got to check out a 3" and 6" yesterday at a LGS, but they said the 4" is HTF right now (could be BS'ing me to get me to buy their stuff lol)

Went to the Crossroads of the West gun show in Ontario yesterday and it was so crowded that the fire dept. slowed down admittance. Ammo Bros. was limiting .223 & 5.56 to 1000 rounds per ID and they still sold out within a few hours. They were sold out by the time we got to them in line. My buddy was looking to buy more Wolf 5.56 rounds (steel casing) and the price had increased from $115 to $180 per 500.

I picked up a value pack of .22 rounds, a box of 9mm rounds, and a MP5 25 round rebuild kit and we left; the entrance line was wrapped around two walls of the Ontario Contention center.

Let me ask another opinion question. Is it better to stick with one caliber for home defense and carry? Meaning if I have a .45 for home defense, should I carry a compact .45? Or as long as I practice shooting both rounds it doesn't really matter if I carry a 9?

Just to throw more fuel into the fire...

When thinking about 9 vs .40, you also need to consider your state gun laws. In California, the 9mm loses the advantage of having the magazines carrying more rounds than a .40 magazine. Both are limited to 10 rounds.

For what it's worth, last week, I went to check out what ammo my LGS had left. He was wiped clean of all his 9mm, .45, .223, .308... I did notice quite a few Federal .40 S&W in FMJ 180 grain.

Regardless of what you learn/hear in ballistics reports, a gun is no good if it doesn't have ammo.

Let me ask another opinion question. Is it better to stick with one caliber for home defense and carry? Meaning if I have a .45 for home defense, should I carry a compact .45? Or as long as I practice shooting both rounds it doesn't really matter if I carry a 9?

I follow the school of thought that says, whatever firearm you choose, practice, practice, practice. You MUST feel comfortable handling and pointing it. It's got to feel natural in your hands.

As for those that argue that a .45 is better for home defense... that's only assuming you're able to hit your target. If you're a better shot with a 9, then that one is better for home defense.

It really is an individual basis.

As for those that argue that a .45 is better for home defense... that's only assuming you're able to hit your target. If you're a better shot with a 9, then that one is better for home defense.

:lecture You can have a Desert Eagle in your nightstand. It won't mean crap if you can't hit the target. I have a little bit of everything in my closet. I prefer 9mm only because it's less expensive to stock up, and I have multiple 9mm pistols as opposed to 2 .45acp, 1 Five Seven, and two .380s.

~~If you are planning on keeping separate firearms for personal carry and another one for the bedroom I'd recommend getting similar hand guns...i.e. 2 Glocks or 2 M&Ps. Instead of having 2 guns with different trigger pulls you can rely on muscle memory for 2 of the same guns.

Imo, it doesnt matter at all.

Main thing is you PRACTICE with what you carry or use for home defense.

Sounds like the consensus is its a matter of preference. It's more important to be able to stay on target in a stressful situation. As we all have stated, practice! I also recommend taking a tactical training class from a certified trainer, if you can find one locally.

Wow! From the man him self LAV, about 9mm and 40s&w. just was searching info about the G22 Gen 4 FDE I came across this

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1433833

"No I do not think 40 S&W offered anything over 9mm in the real world

I think 9mm is a better choice all things considered"

Be safe

LAV

I have to disagree. You can have two guns for the price of one almost (must purchase the 9mm barrel). Then you can use and have both and make up your own mind. :dunno

I have to disagree. You can have two guns for the price of one almost (must purchase the 9mm barrel). Then you can use and have both and make up your own mind. :dunno

Not disagreeing with you, because that's what I'm gonna do. Just wanted to post this up. He's a known gun smith, former delta, trainer, etc.

Not disagreeing with you, because that's what I'm gonna do. Just wanted to post this up. He's a known gun smith, former delta, trainer, etc.

I didn't think you were. :duff

They are about $60.00 for the barrel. You can't beat that. Two M&P's in one. :rock

Picked up a Remington R25 in Mossy Oak stock and a Sig P229 Scorpion today! Also got 1000 rounds of .40S&W and some .223 ammo. :yess:

Picked up a Remington R25 in Mossy Oak stock and a Sig P229 Scorpion today! Also got 1000 rounds of .40S&W and some .223 ammo. :yess:

Nice! First 40? How much does a case of 1k go for?

Still debating on the G22, my LGS called me this morning asked if I still want it. I gotta pay full by the end of the day and they can hold it up to 30 days, I don't want to register now because of the hype. He put 2 extra mags on the side as well, 5 total mags is good enough.

Nice! First 40? How much does a case of 1k go for?

Still debating on the G22, my LGS called me this morning asked if I still want it. I gotta pay full by the end of the day and they can hold it up to 30 days, I don't want to register now because of the hype. He put 2 extra mags on the side as well, 5 total mags is good enough.

1000 rounds of .40S&W set me back $390 bucks.

Sounds like a good deal on the glock.

I'm debating picking up either a raging judge or a smith governor. Not for self or home defense. I have a mossberg with a hogue pistol grip on it for that. And yes it comes with me every time to the range. I bought it in January of 2012 and I'm pretty sure I've got somewhere between 800-1000 rounds through it. But anyway back on topic. They look fun and I want one. Just can't decide which one. Thoughts/opinions?

Back