Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couple of questions for the forum:

1. Why are 1911's so popular and what would be considered the good to great brands?

2. Anyone fire or own a XDS .45? I keep seeing them for around $500 in my area and had been considering getting one a few months back, but ended up on the fence when I heard the XDS 9mm would be coming out. Now I'm wondering if I should jump on the .45 since I can get it at a good price.

Aside from the history for me it's the feel and balance of the steel frame. Of all my handguns the 1911's and my Sig MK25 are by far my favorites. As far as brands I'm a Kimber fan. Ruger is a great choice too. Probably a few hundred less than the Kimber.

I looked at the XDS when I replaced my everyday carry. It was too similar in size to the Glock 26 I was carrying so I went with the Sig P938 in the end. Probably due to it being a smaller 1911 style metal gun.

Found a deal on a FNX45 a week or so ago. It showed up at my ffl yesterday. I plan to go shoot it this afternoon.

Meatgoat wont be surprised, but I love my Kimbers and would say its definitely worth to pay the extra money from Taurus. However like Snake said, I probably wouldnt go over $800 for one. If you're patient, you can even pick up a nice stainless II for around $750.

One of my dream projects is to custom a pair of 1911 Colts ala Thomas Janes in the Punisher. Maybe later this year.

I'm debating picking up a P38. I'm not gonna lie one of the reasons is it's megatron.
Plus the fact that I'm sitting on around 900 rds of 9mm

I am looking to get a 357 revolver. Is S&W a good one?

Get a ruger gp100. My dad has one and it's an absolute blast to shoot. I may be a little biased because I'm figuring out recently I'm a revolver guy and I love ruger

couple of questions for the forum:

1. Why are 1911's so popular and what would be considered the good to great brands?

2. Anyone fire or own a XDS .45? I keep seeing them for around $500 in my area and had been considering getting one a few months back, but ended up on the fence when I heard the XDS 9mm would be coming out. Now I'm wondering if I should jump on the .45 since I can get it at a good price.

1911 are great shooters! Carry or shtf....no! Mass produced 1911's can and will jam and a lot are made with mim(metal injected molding) parts, and those parts are know to fail in the 1911.

I have a Wilson combat and Christensen Arms 1911 and those I'd trust with my life. High quality made guns, but expensive!!!

The XDs .45 I have one and love it, it's actually in my EDC rotation. Its very slim, lightweight, packs .45acp....yep I love it. Got a Bitone for $549 awhile back.

The XDs .45 I have one and love it, it's actually in my EDC rotation. Its very slim, lightweight, packs .45acp....yep I love it. Got a Bitone for $549 awhile back.[/QUOTE]

You got the bi-tone for 549? Nice find man. You can't even find the all blued for that price now

The XDs .45 I have one and love it, it's actually in my EDC rotation. Its very slim, lightweight, packs .45acp....yep I love it. Got a Bitone for $549 awhile back.

You got the bi-tone for 549? Nice find man. You can't even find the all blued for that price now[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Yeah price has gone up! My local shop has a solid colored for $569

Amazing gun, I really can't describe how much I like it. I may get the 9mm version for my wife to carry.

You got the bi-tone for 549? Nice find man. You can't even find the all blued for that price now[/QUOTE]

I found a shop that has the all black new for $550 and a slightly used (as in bought and never fired) for $530 out the door. Then I have seen three or four though online sellers on FB for $500-$550

1911 are great shooters! Carry or shtf....no! Mass produced 1911's can and will jam and a lot are made with mim(metal injected molding) parts, and those parts are know to fail in the 1911.

I have a Wilson combat and Christensen Arms 1911 and those I'd trust with my life. High quality made guns, but expensive!!!

so which brands of 1911 should I avoid?

so which brands of 1911 should I avoid?

I avoid Kimber and new model Colts. I've done my research and I've asked around a lot. Kimbers are a mim mess, yes they look pretty but they also crap out easy. Colt, well when I say avoid Colt I should be specific as to the newer Colt 1911's. The old series colts ran great and were made much better. Sadly Colt has new leadership that cares more about cost then making a great product.

SA makes solid 1911's and they have amazing customer service. I own a lightweight champion operator and it's run flawless after the break in period.

That's another thing about 1911 pistols, they require break in much much more then any other handgun type....even the high end 1911's.

Sig makes some quality 1911 pistols also, few mim parts in them.

Regardless which 1911 you decide to get do yourself a favor and get Wilson Combat mags, they simply put are the best and most reliable on the market. Wilson also makes various 1911 parts to customize or upgrade any 1911. I had Wilson slidestop and safety on my sig C3 before I sold it.

Happy 1911 shopping!

LOL, ok, so I got recommendations for Kimber and Colt, and a recommendation to avoid them :dunno

guess Springfield it is :rotfl

Ugh I messed up the quotes when I responded. It was bb that got the xds, not me. I can't find anything in my area but glocks and big revolvers lately. Not the end of the world but not what I"m looking for now.

LOL, ok, so I got recommendations for Kimber and Colt, and a recommendation to avoid them :dunno

guess Springfield it is :rotfl

:lol

Smith and Wesson also make 1911 pistols, but I have no experience with them and know no one who has.

Best bet may just be going to a range that rents guns and try out what you want.

Ugh I messed up the quotes when I responded. It was bb that got the xds, not me. I can't find anything in my area but glocks and big revolvers lately. Not the end of the world but not what I"m looking for now.

What are you looking for?

Back