Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you purchase your gun the shop will give you the paper work to bring to HPD. When you bring the paper work to HPD you will also need to show your hand gun permit. They tell you to come back within 2 weeks for the paper work. After the 2 long weeks waiting you have to wait again in line to get the paper work from HPD and then you will need to go back to the gun shop and show your papers from HPD and pick up your gun. Then you will need to bring the gun back to HPD and register it and wait in the slow moving line.

Sometimes you may get lucky and don't wait too long in line.

HPD doesn't hold your gun, it's like registering your car but they need your gun to verify the serial number. After that it's all good from there.

ah ok thanks for clarifying all that. I experienced the wait times in line when i had to register my AR15...definitely not fun.

Last edited:
I heard the problem with the Gen 4 Glock's is becuase they started using an inferior extractor which has lead to failures to extract or casings hitting shooter's in the face. Heard some of the newer Gen 3's have the same issue.

This is true in my experience, and this is what I"m going through with mine. It doesn't start throwing the shells in my face until I get 2-3 mags at the range, but it's suffice to say that I wouldn't trust it in an emergency. HOWEVER, they have issued a new ejector that fixes the problems, and I forget the production dates but the newly produced Glocks have them in it. The gun still shoots accurate and reliably, but you just have to dodge the spent casings to the face. :slap

~~I did make it to the range yesterday with my new Smith and Wesson. Very nice gun with only one misfeed out of 400 rounds. My impression: great gun!!! The interchangeable grips are pretty neat, but strangely I like the small one the most. My first order of business is to get XS Big Dot Sights on it, and then in a couple of months I will probably get a trigger job done on it to reduce it to about 3.5 lbs.

They're outlawed because of magazine size (15 round), right? I thought they had a low capacity version of the HK P30.

I didn't really like the Beretta 92f much. They're huge. Too big to conceal. Way too big for an all purpose 9mm.

Glock 19 seems to be the default 9mm. They're good enough for the money. I didn't much care for the ergonomics, though. For that price range, I preferred the Walther P99 or Beretta PX4. I've heard there are safety issues with striker-fired pistols like the Glock.

Sig Sauer is solid. Comparable to the HKs, which was my eventual choice. I'd take a Sig or an HK (USPc, P99, HK45c, P2000) over any of those previously mentioned. They're a bit more expensive -- $700 to $1K -- but you get what you pay for.

SnakeDoc

Regarding the HK P30:

I believe it isn't on our list here in CA becaue it doesn't have the magazine disconnect mechanism. I guess HK didn't want to bother submitting one to be tested and approved for sale in CA because they already know their P30 will not pass.

Regarding Sigs:

Great choice. Have you looked into or considered the P229?
I'm highly considering the Enhanced Elite or Equinox model myself.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the Sig Sauer P229 from fellow collectors here. Thanks!

Great choice. Have you looked into or considered the P229?
I'm highly considering the Enhanced Elite or Equinox model myself.

I would really appreciate any feedback on the Sig Sauer P229 from fellow collectors here. Thanks!

They've always fired rock-solid for me despite the internet clamor that they are declining in quality. I held one of the newer Scorpions the other day and it was pretty slick. I'd like to get one of the Scorpions...either the 1911 or 226.

This is true in my experience, and this is what I"m going through with mine. It doesn't start throwing the shells in my face until I get 2-3 mags at the range, but it's suffice to say that I wouldn't trust it in an emergency. HOWEVER, they have issued a new ejector that fixes the problems, and I forget the production dates but the newly produced Glocks have them in it. The gun still shoots accurate and reliably, but you just have to dodge the spent casings to the face. :slap

From the info I gathered at GlockTalk, it seemed the problem Glocks were produced from 2009 to 2011. Sucks to hear even with the new ejector/extractor there are still issues with casing hitting shooters in the face though.

I'm actually leaning towards a Beretta 92FS since I heard the newer models have the older style straight dust covers.

Anyone have info on Remington 870 Shotguns? I am looking to get a nice Tactical Shotgun, what do you guys suggest?

They've always fired rock-solid for me despite the internet clamor that they are declining in quality. I held one of the newer Scorpions the other day and it was pretty slick. I'd like to get one of the Scorpions...either the 1911 or 226.
Thanks for the feedback.

Had a chance last week to try both a PX4 Storm and a P229 at the range. The Beretta a 9mm while the Sig a .40S&W.

Enjoyed both of them, but the P229 feels better in my hands. Extremely natural point and shoot gun despite the extra weight. Recoil was never an issue.

Is it worth the extra $500?
I'm beginning to believe, yes.

Enjoyed both of them, but the P229 feels better in my hands. Extremely natural point and shoot gun despite the extra weight. Recoil was never an issue.

Is it worth the extra $500?
I'm beginning to believe, yes.

that's where I've always sat on the fence. I won't argue their performance, but the extra money isn't worth it to me when there's less expensive options that are equally as impressive. It's a personal preference IMO, just remember that every manufacturer has their problems....what's important to me is how they remedy them. I've been researching about the Sig Scorpion 1911, and have come across some people having problems with its reliability. Does that stop me from wanting one? No. Will I wait a while to see how the newer Carry version is? Yes.

From the info I gathered at GlockTalk, it seemed the problem Glocks were produced from 2009 to 2011. Sucks to hear even with the new ejector/extractor there are still issues with casing hitting shooters in the face though.

I visit that site from time to time, and I'd recommend renting one at the range, or borrowing one from a friend before passing judgement based on those guys. I'm always ambivalent about the Gunshop-Green Berets that know everything about guns because they own a couple. The new ejector (30276 I believe) is supposed to fix the issues with the Gen 4s that are throwing brass in the face. Until I get one I don't know, so the Glock will be a range only gun for now. You can find some good deals on used Glocks though, and I will stand by those despite no longer owning any. :lecture

Anyone have info on Remington 870 Shotguns? I am looking to get a nice Tactical Shotgun, what do you guys suggest?

Look back a few posts. I just picked one up about a month or so ago and I love it. I got the express. I modded it by replacing the stock with a bird's head pistol grip. I like it a lot. There are higher end shotguns on the market. But the remington 870 Express is a great weapon for a tactical shotgun and they are VERY reasonably priced. I got mine for around 350.00.

I visit that site from time to time, and I'd recommend renting one at the range, or borrowing one from a friend before passing judgement based on those guys. I'm always ambivalent about the Gunshop-Green Berets that know everything about guns because they own a couple. The new ejector (30276 I believe) is supposed to fix the issues with the Gen 4s that are throwing brass in the face. Until I get one I don't know, so the Glock will be a range only gun for now. You can find some good deals on used Glocks though, and I will stand by those despite no longer owning any. :lecture

My dad used to have a Glock 17 back in 04 (sold it due to unforseen events) and it shot fine with no jamming or casings hitting us and was a solid gun so I do have a little experience with the G17 at least. Personally I have not warmed up to the Gen 4's at all (judging solely on reviews and not first hand experience though) not to mention I don't think there even legal in CA atm. I'm more concerned about the current 3rd Gen Glocks.

The main reason why I love the Gen 4s is because of the grips. If not for that I'd tell you to stick with the older ones, but to me the new swappable grips are awesome, and the addition to swap out the magazine release for lefties (yay for me!!) is why I had to have one.

With that said I"m keeping the 19, but going all-in with the M&Ps. I'm going to get another one in August for sure...more than likely a M&P 9 Pro to go alone with the compact I just bought.

got a class scheduled for this friday with a friend's uncle! looks like i'll be getting that hk45 sooner than i thought. just hope i can find one in stock this weekend.

Im thinking of going brand spanking new on the HK45 but saving a little green and getting my USP 45 used off of CDNN's catalog. anyone have any experience buying used from CDNN? recommended or no?

Sorry bro I didn't get to you on the info you wanted. I was waiting for the info from him but he's the type to forget and he's always out. But glad you got a early class. I still didn't get it.

I say just go for the HK45.

I plan on going to Security Equipment this weekend for my bday gift. Gotta special order it, Sig P226 MK25

got a class scheduled for this friday with a friend's uncle! looks like i'll be getting that hk45 sooner than i thought. just hope i can find one in stock this weekend.

Im thinking of going brand spanking new on the HK45 but saving a little green and getting my USP 45 used off of CDNN's catalog. anyone have any experience buying used from CDNN? recommended or no?

I just ordered a N8 squared holster per recommendation from one of the guys I workout with. He is a gun guru as far as I'm concerned so if he recommends trying something I usually listen. For $40 it's not breaking the bank if I don't like it, and the main reason I didn't hesitate is because I can use the holster for my M&Pc and my Glock 19 should I want to mix things up a bit.

Have any of you guys bought a used HK police trade in?? All this HK talk in here has me interested in buying one, and I found a USP 40 trade in for a little over $500. Does HK still offer/honor any warranty on these guns??

got my hand gun safety permit today. should have my HK45 and USP45 by the end of april, can't wait!

Back