Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I knew how a P30 felt like.
We don't get that luxury here in CA.

They're outlawed because of magazine size (15 round), right? I thought they had a low capacity version of the HK P30.

Can't go wrong with it. Other 9mm I would check out are Glock 17/19 or a Sig P226

I didn't really like the Beretta 92f much. They're huge. Too big to conceal. Way too big for an all purpose 9mm.

Glock 19 seems to be the default 9mm. They're good enough for the money. I didn't much care for the ergonomics, though. For that price range, I preferred the Walther P99 or Beretta PX4. I've heard there are safety issues with striker-fired pistols like the Glock.

Sig Sauer is solid. Comparable to the HKs, which was my eventual choice. I'd take a Sig or an HK (USPc, P99, HK45c, P2000) over any of those previously mentioned. They're a bit more expensive -- $700 to $1K -- but you get what you pay for.

SnakeDoc

Some quick iPhone pics of the newest addition to the collection:
24webd4.jpg

33uscj4.jpg

With my Gen 4 G19
i225fq.jpg

So I'm looking into buying my first gun and in all my research the gun that pops up the most is the Beretta 92fs. Thoughts, tips, suggestions?

After much research and deliberation, I decided to go with the Beretta 92fs for my first.

My other choice was the Sig Sauer 229, which seems really nice to me too. They both felt great at the gun shop, but the Beretta won out due to some really great reviews from some friends that have it (plus it's on sale this week at Turners).

Hopefully I made the right choice, can't wait to go try it out at the local range!

where do you get those mats?

I got mine from a gun show in phoenix. But they have a website. I will look for the link.

Edit - I can't find the website by doing a search. But I got a business card from the manufacturer so when I get that I'll post the direct website. If you go to their website, you can request a specific gun model. If they get enough requests for it, they will make it. I think there are only like 8 or 10 that they do right now.

Last edited:
I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 26 yesterday as a concealed carry. Also bought a Ruger 22/45 for my son. Going to try and get to the range this afternoon.

Little bit of everything. Home defense, recreational shooting, carry in car, etc.

I'd say any of the Glocks would do fine. They are built like tanks to operate with very little maintenance, and they have good customer support. Some of the the new Gen 4s have some issues, but they are fixing them so I'm not writing them off completely. If you are law enforcement or military, or know someone that is you'll find it's very difficult to beat their prices. Just off the top of my head I bought a Glock 19 for $438 and some change.

Does anyone know how to order guns online from a website?

Yeah, if you goto a site like gunbroker.com (which is basically Ebay of the gun world) they have a firearm dealer locator. So, you bid on guns you like, you win an auction, they ship the gun to a local dealer you pick from the list, most dealers charge 20 bucks or so to receive the gun and hand it over to you.

I'd say any of the Glocks would do fine. They are built like tanks to operate with very little maintenance, and they have good customer support. Some of the the new Gen 4s have some issues, but they are fixing them so I'm not writing them off completely. If you are law enforcement or military, or know someone that is you'll find it's very difficult to beat their prices. Just off the top of my head I bought a Glock 19 for $438 and some change.

I heard the problem with the Gen 4 Glock's is becuase they started using an inferior extractor which has lead to failures to extract or casings hitting shooter's in the face. Heard some of the newer Gen 3's have the same issue.

just went to security equipment to check out the hk45 and hk45c. im sold on the full size and will get it asap if they still have it after the 25th. then will probably get something in 9mm, maybe a glock 17 next and after that a usp45

just went to security equipment to check out the hk45 and hk45c. im sold on the full size and will get it asap if they still have it after the 25th. then will probably get something in 9mm, maybe a glock 17 next and after that a usp45

Niiice, would they hold it for you if you put down a deposit? I got a glock 19 and the balance is perfect. If you have enough funds i say kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get 2 pistols you want because of the long dumb process it is in Hawaii.

Niiice, would they hold it for you if you put down a deposit? I got a glock 19 and the balance is perfect. If you have enough funds i say kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get 2 pistols you want because of the long dumb process it is in Hawaii.

I'll try ask if they can hold it, that's a good idea.

after getting the gun permit, how long does HPD have to hold the gun until you can have it?

I'll try ask if they can hold it, that's a good idea.

after getting the gun permit, how long does HPD have to hold the gun until you can have it?

When you purchase your gun the shop will give you the paper work to bring to HPD. When you bring the paper work to HPD you will also need to show your hand gun permit. They tell you to come back within 2 weeks for the paper work. After the 2 long weeks waiting you have to wait again in line to get the paper work from HPD and then you will need to go back to the gun shop and show your papers from HPD and pick up your gun. Then you will need to bring the gun back to HPD and register it and wait in the slow moving line.

Sometimes you may get lucky and don't wait too long in line.

HPD doesn't hold your gun, it's like registering your car but they need your gun to verify the serial number. After that it's all good from there.

Last edited:
When you purchase your gun the shop will give you the paper work to bring to HPD. When you bring the paper work to HPD you will also need to show your hand gun permit. They tell you to come back within 2 weeks for the paper work. After the 2 long weeks waiting you have to wait again in line to get the paper work from HPD and then you will need to go back to the gun shop and show your papers from HPD and pick up your gun. Then you will need to bring the gun back to HPD and register it and wait in the slow moving line.

Sometimes you may get lucky and don't wait too long in line.

HPD doesn't hold your gun, it's like registering your car but they need your gun to verify the serial number. After that it's all good from there.

This is worse than California.

I am getting spoiled by being in Phoenix. Sometimes...it takes as long as 15 minutes to walk out of the gun shop with a gun.

I have to go back to Cali for a couple of months. I am glad a couple of the guns I bought are legal there. At least I will be able to go shooting.

Back