Han in Carbonite 1/6!!!!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it was said in a joking manner. Like yeah if we made that it would be 1k dollars. I kind of took it that HT may be losing money somewhat on items like that.

I'm sure it was a joke, but he was using the joke to illustrate a point. What was that point I wonder?....... :)

(I seriously doubt he is going to harshly critique a distribution and creative partner in such a public forum as SDCC).

Quoted for truth. :lecture

All of HT items are more exspensive than SS items. So I'm not sure why anyone thinks a HT version wouldn't be more. As far as the Tumblar comments I was there as well and I took it as more as a joke than Brock being serious.

:nono

He was most definitely being serious, Josh. I even talked to him about it afterward. He was clear that there is no way that Sideshow would be able to making something like that and "only" charge $400-$500 for it.

As far as your notion that "All of HT items are more exspensive than SS items", I assume you're directly comparing things like Hot Toys' $150 Iron Man to Sideshow's $90 German Indy? It's all relative and You Get What You Pay For. Clearly a lot of people feel there may be more value in HT's $140-$160 figures than Sideshow's $70-$120 ones. I know I do.

Now, Medicom... that's another story. They come up dead last in the You Get What You Pay For department. And it's not even close. There stuff is hideously over-priced no matter how some try to rationalize it.

I really don't know whether SSC products done like HT products would be more or less expensive. All I know is SSC "USED TO" be considerate of customers that don't want or need $130 figures or $400 vehicles, set up, etc.

I'm really tiring of the SSC vs HT debate because I worry that its sending SSC the message that everyone wants $150+ figures all the time.

Different companies do different things. If Hasbro would just borrow some of HTs or SSC's sculptors, they have the factory set ups to produce very accurate plastic Tauntauns, speeders, etc for like $100 because they are used to and have the machines, facitilies, etc for making big items.

Last edited:

As far as your notion that "All of HT items are more exspensive than SS items", I assume you're directly comparing things like Hot Toys' $150 Iron Man to Sideshow's $90 German Indy? It's all relative and You Get What You Pay For. Clearly a lot of people feel there may be more value in HT's $140-$160 figures than Sideshow's $70-$120 ones. I know I do.

Now, Medicom... that's another story. They come up dead last in the You Get What You Pay For department. And it's not even close.

Gosh Irish, it's the good old Josh!
Your right about Medicom, I see it the same way. They enforce Japanese market prices to the entire world! And it seems that SSC has to play along, or they get nothing of the Medicom pie. Too much other companies out there in the US jumping to sell Medicom stuff. Why? Because it sells.

Last edited:
I really don't know whether SSC products done like HT products would be more or less expensive. All I know is SSC "USED TO" be considerate of customers that don't want or need $130 figures or $400 vehicles, set up, etc.

I'm really tiring of the SSC vs HT debate because I worry that its sending SSC the message that everyone wants $150+ figures all the time.

Personally, my "message" is that I want figures with extreme attention-to-detail that look as much like 1:6 versions of the actual characters as possible. And Hot Toys is clearly the cutting edge in this area. Price is actually a secondary issue to me, but I do understand it's not that way for everyone.

But the point here is VALUE. IMHO, there is much more value in something like the Hot Toys Batpod for $240 than Sideshow's Carbonite Environment for $200. And 1:6 Iron Man for $150 over German Indy for $90 and on and on...

Good point. I felt better about accepting (or defending) Sideshow 1:6 when the price seemed to justify the difference in quality but the prices are getting to the point where something has got to change.

1) Lose the doll dot as a standard paint application
2) Make sure the PRO is modular. If it was designed to be so, lets see it!
3) Better tailoring at the production level.

Do that and I am fine with the price hikes approaching HT levels.

I gotta be fair and say that I think Sideshow's Snake-Eyes figure is CLOSE to 1:6 HT quality. But then, so is the price... close.

That one hits much close to the mark, imho. And Vader promises to as well. In fact, if the production figure turns out as nice as the proto Sideshow's 1:6 Vader might be the best value of any 1:6 fig out there. The problem is this is few and far between for them these days. I often don't feel like I'm quite getting what I paid for with many Sideshow items.

Good point. I felt better about accepting (or defending) Sideshow 1:6 when the price seemed to justify the difference in quality but the prices are getting to the point where something has got to change.

1) Lose the doll dot as a standard paint application
2) Make sure the PRO is modular. If it was designed to be so, lets see it!
3) Better tailoring at the production level.

Do that and I am fine with the price hikes approaching HT levels.

You have seen the light!

Personally, my "message" is that I want figures with extreme attention-to-detail that look as much like 1:6 versions of the actual characters as possible. And Hot Toys is clearly the cutting edge in this area. Price is actually a secondary issue to me, but I do understand it's not that way for everyone.

But the point here is VALUE. IMHO, there is much more value in something like the Hot Toys Batpod for $240 than Sideshow's Carbonite Environment for $200. And 1:6 Iron Man for $150 over German Indy for $90 and on and on...

The later comparison, I agree, but the first is apples to oranges for me because one is plastic and the other is polystone.

Just like some people are willing to pay more for detailing, others like density.

With HT I think you get a good deal on their "special" figures like Predator, Iron Man, etc. But their figures like Billy from Predator, Twoface, Joker, etc are very expensive at $130-$150 when you consider clothing, accessories, etc.

That's weird to me, if that's the case... but I guess I will accept that opinion.

But then how do you explain PF Boba Fett? :monkey1 :monkey3

I don't own it partly for that reason. I'm not saying SSC is perfect by any stretch.

I do really like how heavy duty the chess table is. Love the weight in something like the droid head that came with Kit Fisto. These things scream quality compared to light plastic. Skimping on the Palpatine hologram base by making it plastic ruined the item for me.

I dunno. Considering that with HT you are getting (often) two head sculpts and wealth of accessories.

I dunno. Considering that with HT you are getting (often) two head sculpts and wealth of accessories.

Thats on some items. But the HT Billy is pretty barebones for a $130 item.

The realism is another issue where if it meant $50 more for better, I'm not sure I'd pay that for 10 items a year thats another $500 which to me is a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back