HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read the books, but it was pretty clear to me based on their last episode together that Jon's boss knew they were both doomed but believed that there was a chance that Jon could trick them into thinking that he wanted to defect. If you know two of you are going to die, then be willing to sacrifice yourself to get the other to survive and be positioned as a mole. Seems like that worked.

You pretty much got it 100% right, was thinking that it wasn't obvious enough for non book readers but I guess I may of been

Last edited:
I picked up on that as well... I mean earlier he tells him to act when the time is right.

Loved the season and the finale just left me wanting more! The wait for until next April will be maddening, but this is easily my favorite show on TV and HBO is doing a killer job with it :rock

601007_468304483199010_663910773_n.jpg

I had a feeling that viewers who hadn't read the books would interpret that Jon
killed Halfhand out of anger, instead of out of duty
, and from what I have read on various forums it appears that has happened.

There are so many little things in season 2 that could have been modified slightly and had a bigger impact on the audience, but the biggest thing that should have changed was
Catlyn learning about the supposed death of Bran & Rickon. This was the sole reason she released Jaime into Brienne's custody to return him to King's Landing, in an attempt to get Sansa and Arya returned to her. Would it have really impacted production to film that scene???

I haven't read the books, and it's surprising to me that people are confused about that. The intent of that fight seemed pretty clear. Between the last episode and this one, it was obvious what they were planning.

I haven't read the books, but it was pretty clear to me based on their last episode together that Jon's boss knew they were both doomed but believed that there was a chance that Jon could trick them into thinking that he wanted to defect. If you know two of you are going to die, then be willing to sacrifice yourself to get the other to survive and be positioned as a mole. Seems like that worked.

It was fairly obvious, especially with the line from two episodes ago that I paraphrased in an early post, so I can't understand the confusion from those viewers that didn't understand their motives.

Again, Martin has proven that we can't get attached to any character, no matter how ancilary they seem to be.

Yoren wasn't a huge character, but I was sad to see his death, as I was with Qhorin Halfhand (got the spelling right).

Thinking about it, that was the only gambit they head, short of both of them dying. There was no way Qhorin could have infiltrated the Wildlings, he was a renowned ranger and they never would have bought the deceit. Even the wildings knew of him, referring to him as "the Halfhand". Killing Qhorin earned an inkling of trust from the Wildings.

Regarding Theon, though I thought paying the Iron price would be the only possible resoltion for him (ironic how the Greyjoy's motto is "We do not sow" but Theon will ultimately reap what he sowed), it will be interesting to see if he can make it to the Wall and take the Black, and consequently, soem form of redemption.

A REALLY stupid and silly thought / guess that's been in my head, with no basis in fact, and pretty much far fetched, with no supporting evidence (in fact, unless I'm mistaken, there's evidence AGAINST this silly theory of mine)...(Not really a spoiler as well)

Benjen Stark isn't Mance Rader, is he?

Again, I'll be the first to acknowledge it's a stupid guess, so the book readers please tell me I'm wrong so I can get this crazy idea out of my head.

Last edited:
Mance has been beyond the wall for a long time, it's not Benjen. I have an idea about Benjen, but I don't know and I can't talk about it until much later.

Yeah, I figured as much. It was just a crazy idea formed by the contemporary "twist" style of literature. Martin seems to be a more straight forward writer who doesn't get you with twists.

I loved Theon's speech - a great St. Crispin's day speech completely undermined by what happens. I don't think I've ever seen that before. And it really shows what a disservice Ned Stark did for all his sons and his hostage son. They expect others to act nobely, but that doesn't happen in this world. And I don't remember why Winterfell was burned - did Bolton's bastard do it after they turned over Theon?

I don't remember Dani locking up Xaro - I thought he played a much greater part in her story?

So the vision of the Red Keep wasn't a hint?

Well the original vision and prophecies Dany was supposed to experience were some epic visuals, at least in the book. I was really hoping they would show
Rhaegar and Aegon, the blue flower on the ice wall.

I really loved this episode, though it was also pretty depressing at times. Below are spoilers from the most recent show, not the future story in the books.

It was really interesting to see Grand Maester Pycelle caring for Tyrion Lannister, especially since it was Queen Cersei who once again tried to have Tyrion killed. I would've expected them to just kill him off while unconscious. I wonder if Pycelle is mending Tyrion out of the goodness of his heart, despite what Tyrion did to him near the beginning of the season, or our of the duty expected of him. I liked the bit when Pycelle flipped Tyrion a coin, similarly to how Tyrion gave Pycelle's prostitute a coin when Pycelle was arrested. Hmm...

Maester Luwin was one of my favorite supporting cast members. He was always kind, gentle, and trustworthy. I knew he would not make it out alive, and I'm glad he survived through two full seasons before finally succumbing to Martin's story. I would've liked him to see the outcome of everything, though, since he was so instrumental in the upkeep of Winterfell and the Stark children.

I really hope Cleftjaw dies a horrible death for killing one of my favorites.

And what is Lord Varys up to with Ros? Hmm... Varys is another one of my favorites, so obviously he won't last through the duration of the series, either.

I have to commend you guys that can keep track of all these weirdo names and background characters. I'll freely admit to getting lost once I'm past the main cast.

I loved Theon's speech - a great St. Crispin's day speech completely undermined by what happens. I don't think I've ever seen that before. And it really shows what a disservice Ned Stark did for all his sons and his hostage son. They expect others to act nobely, but that doesn't happen in this world. And I don't remember why Winterfell was burned - did Bolton's bastard do it after they turned over Theon?

I don't remember Dani locking up Xaro - I thought he played a much greater part in her story?

Xaro wasn't locked up no.

I was confused by that as well... it looked like Theon's men just left; so all the destruction seemed out of place :huh

I think they did that on purpose to leave a bit of a cliffhanger for next season. At this point you shouldn't know who burned down Winterfell or why.

I was confused by that as well... it looked like Theon's men just left; so all the destruction seemed out of place :huh

Yeah, that was part of the thing that they removed.

In the book most people don't know what exactly happened and it comes up again much later. Although the destruction of Winterfell happened half-way through the book, and then the first time we get back to Bran is the last chapter

Overall, it was a good episode but as a finale, it was so-so. There were some great scenes and some not so-great.

All the scenes at King's Landing were awesome. Gotta love all the fake love-declaring between Joffrey and Margaery.

Poor Tyrion, he went from hero to zero in no time. The scene between Shae and Tyrion was so sweet. I have no doubt Tyrion will plot and scheme his way back into power.

Brienne owned those Stark men LIKE A BOSS!! Seriously, I was in awe at how much she kicked ass. You could tell even Jamie was impressed.

Speaking of Starks and Winterfell, the scenes with Theon were also great. His speech was pretty cool so I totally didn't expect his men to knock him out and deliver him to the army outside Winterfell. Tho the sacking of Winterfell was pretty WTF. It would've been nice if it had been shown who was responsible for that.

I'm pretty sad that Maester Luwin is dead. I gasped in shock when he got stabbed. Tho he stayed alive a lot longer than I thought. The scene where he says goodbye to Bran and Rickon and then asks Osha to kill him were so sad ;__;

I have to say that the scene with the House of the Undying was pretty weak. In the book, it plays a significant part in how Dany deals with future events (trying to be as vague as possible to avoid spoilers). The whole thing was pretty underwhelming. The warlock died way too quickly. Having said that, I thought the scene afterwards where she seals Xaro Xhoan Daxo and Doreah was pretty badass. Tbh I never suspected that Doreah might've helped betray Dany.

Whilst the last scene with the White Walkers was pretty cool, I call bull____ on them allowing Sam to live. You do NOT meet a White Walker and live to tell the tale, especially not a whole army of them.

I absolutely loved the design of the White Walkers. Very good episode but should have been a 2-hour finale at least. I also love how the characters are growing into their own, especially the children. I'm going to start reading the novels now and probably hold off on book 3.
Too bad HBO can't pump more money into every episode, but that's how budgets work. This series needs to be remastered at some point with more expansive scenes.

Back