1/6 Hot Toys – MMS355 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Drax The Destroyer Collectible Figu

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys – MMS - Guardians of the Galaxy: Drax The Destroyer Collectible Figu

It takes 12-18 months. For every figure. So yes.

For reworking a prototype? Then how can HT churn out AoU stuff, from pre production, to prototype, to mass production, to release so quickly? :huh

If it was starting from scratch, then I could understand. But reworking a prototype, and not even mass producing it yet... I don't know why that would take so long. I think there's got to be some other reason.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys – MMS - Guardians of the Galaxy: Drax The Destroyer Collectible Figu

Going to freeze myself until Drax is released..

Be like Captain America when it's all said & done. :lol

:lol

Make sure you're not in there too long, or he'll be a rare and priceless antique!

url

"i am not an antique, just like i am not a thesaurus"

For reworking a prototype? Then how can HT churn out AoU stuff, from pre production, to prototype, to mass production, to release so quickly? :huh

If it was starting from scratch, then I could understand. But reworking a prototype, and not even mass producing it yet... I don't know why that would take so long. I think there's got to be some other reason.

It is starting from scratch. The first prototype did not work. They needed to resculpt it. Which means, a completly new figure.

As for how Aou can be so quick...do you know when they started it? They could have started it 9 months before the film came out. And outside of mk45 and maybe vision (which at present timetable will be well over a year from prototype shown to release with no complete retooling) Drax is a completly different item. Thor is new paint on old costume with minor changes and a new head with reused body...bw, cap, Hawkeye..all soft good changes and minor sculpting. Drax requires a new sculpted body from the waist up. With scarification. When the first one did not work they had to completly resculpt it. So Drax requires the same tooling and time something like Ultron or a new iron man or thanos. Not as big obviously...but it's a lot of sculpting. Which is a lot of tooling. Which costs a lot and takes a lot of time. Then they had to start all over. At least once we know of. Comparing him to the Aou repaints misses the mark.

When these prototypes do not get approved the next time it's made it takes a lot longer. Look at batman returns. Took nearly three years from first prototype to put up for order. And that was a very similar situation. The initial prototpe ran into approval and engineering issues. So it fell out of the schedule until everything was fixed. Then it went up for Po. Then it's going to take 9-10 months (at least) before it's released.

They may not make the full run but when a figure like this and returns batman have issues before they put it up for PO they make the tooling and everything required to make the production run. They do a small test run. Then assemble and paint and package and all that for the rest run. All long before its put up for PO. That final edition if it works is what is then submitted to licensing for approval. As submitting another figure that fails could be costly. Like losing a job or license bad. So after a prototype has issues the procedures and timetables change. And it's generally not just a small adjustment. If that's the case they do not need to make a completly new prototpe. Which they did for Drax. You can't just wipe the scars/tats off and start over.

Last edited:

Motux, just curious where you get your information? How do you know how long it takes a toy company to make a prototype, etc.?

Having worked on them both for my family studio that produced licensed figures and at a couple major companies that do the same.

Call me petty, but I am selling Star Lord, Gamora, and Groot/Rocket in the WTS area. HT hasn't even put Drax up for preorder, I am not going to bother waiting anymore and will just use the detolf space for Avengers/Force Awakens. :dunno

Call me petty, but I am selling Star Lord, Gamora, and Groot/Rocket in the WTS area. HT hasn't even put Drax up for preorder, I am not going to bother waiting anymore and will just use the detolf space for Avengers/Force Awakens. :dunno

Goes up tomorrow :lol

This thread is still around? GOTG was released well over a year ago, and the figures have long since been released, and no Drax. For comparison, TWS came out earlier that same year and the figure line is already old. I have a feeling he won't be coming. Although I didn't get any of the GOTG figures, I feel sympathy for those who enjoyed the film enough to want the entire line, and are waiting for Drax.

Now that I am actually collecting the GOTG line..... I really hope Drax is released....

I love this forum! glad u guys have a sense of humor like mine

(& just to stay on topic, I have all the guardians released so far & will keep them whether or not I get to add drax, they're just too cool in person to ever get rid of!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...so, you too, have fallen to the dark side...

:yess:

Yeah.... I really should have bought them all a lot earlier..... got stuck paying $344 for Star-Lord.... but it looks likes I might get a pretty good deal on Groot for $150 and Rocket for $90... so it all evens itself out I guess.

I only have Star-Lord and Groot and I'm happy with those two. But if I get Drax, which I want to, I will need the other two guardians as well :slap

Back