Hot Toys: 1/4 Official Boba Fett Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post. Isn't it possible they took the comments about the weathering to heart but it was too late to hold up production and instead just made the corrections for the 1/6? Doesn't help those only interested in the 1/4 of course.
Is it clear where they got this weathering pattern for the 1/4 from or does it seem random?

Nice post. Isn't it possible they took the comments about the weathering to heart but it was too late to hold up production and instead just made the corrections for the 1/6? Doesn't help those only interested in the 1/4 of course.
Is it clear where they got this weathering pattern for the 1/4 from or does it seem random?

GREAT question. As some of us are aware, there were 6 helmets produced and painted. The paintjob on the 1/4 Boba Fett doesn't match ANY of the other helmets. So, yes, it appears to be a random interpretation of the Boba Fett helmet.

Rubio, I always appreciated you input and comments in the Sideshow Boba Fett thread. I hope you do re-paint and mod the hell out of this figure.

Hot toys has taken artistic license with EVERY figure they have released, this is no exception. I can live with that, however I thoroughly enjoy seeing people with the skills who can make changes and perform next level magic.

From what I've seen so far, I'll be fine with this figure as-is. I'm sure no one will ever come to my house and dissect it since they'll most likely be in awe:lol

Hmm interesting that they'd have different weatherings between the 1/6 and 1/4 scales.
I'm a huge Boba Fett fan, understand still his isn't 100% accurate but I'd need photos to compare to know that. The idealized version suits me fine. Heck I'm even pretty satisfied with my sideshow Fetts so that's kind of a gauge of my accuracy tolerance haha.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442657821.415644.jpg

Like look at this. This is so amazing. Argh!
Would you think that the lack of accurate weathering could keep this out of Figure of the Year discussions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither of those helmets are from ESB.

I think the movie still may have been. There were promotional pictures of ROTJ Boba in which the suit is completely different save for the helmet (which was from ESB).

Promotional picture:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442697156.759313.jpg

ROTJ Film still:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442697189.767674.jpg

ESB helmet:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442697214.863480.jpg

I'm really liking how this thread has policed itself. Everyone is making good points!

Thanks for the compliments, for those that have given them.

With regards to my attention to detail...

This character, and this VERSION of the character, represents my absolute and total grail. Medicom released an RotJ version, but they got many details flat-out wrong. A beautiful figure, and to this day my favorite 1/6. Sideshow's ESB Boba Fett was, in many ways, a REMARKABLE achievement, and in other ways, a travesty. What Sideshow was able to do PERFECTLY was place 99% of the paint/weathering details. Shape/size/scale of the armor/helmet itself was pretty terrible, but I was blown away by how accurate the weathering was.

Besides collecting 1/6, I also paint Boba Fett helmets/gear, both for myself and on a commission basis. bebe13junior, I can understand that you like the Hot Toys paintwork more than the film helmet, and there's nothing at all wrong with that, but there are some of us (perhaps not all that many, maybe) that do prefer as close to screen-used as possible. The commissions I've received have ALL requested as close to screen-used as possible. But this hobby and that hobby are different, and I can (grudgingly) respect that.

The natural gut feeling most of us have, regarding Star Wars figures, is that Hot Toys will do it better, if/when they make a version. So when this figure was announced, I was beside myself with excitement. Remember, they teased it with the blurred-out photo? And the eagle-eyed amongst us quickly noticed the 1/4 logo. On the one hand, I was a little bummed out, since it would be more expensive and larger (I'm on a budget and I don't have infinite storage space, like the majority of us). What I was excited about was that I was certain that every detail would be preserved PERFECTLY. That's a fine trade-off, for me. So I ordered it. When critiques started trickling in, about the 'chunkiness' of the body and such, I paid it no mind, since I'm pretty capable when it comes to futzing and photography. Many of us could see that, while the SKILL of the paintjob was amazing, the ACCURACY of that paintjob was lacking. However, I figured that it was a preliminary paintjob, and that Hot Toys would fix it by the time the figure went into production. They have not.

Here is a straightened-out view of the helmet. In this shot, lens distortion looks to be minimal:

image2.jpg

Here's a shot of the screen-used helmet, with the 'tell-tale' trademarks of the helmet circled:

Boba-Fett-Return-of-the-Jedi-Helmet-07.jpg

We call those parts 1.) The Blob, 2.) The Drip and 3.) The Swipe, and they are the most easily-identifiable marks on the helmet (from the front). To see these details not included is...disappointing. Especially when compared to the Hot Toys 1/6:

star_wars_boba_fett_1_6_scale_action_figure_by_hot_toys_5.jpg

piccolodaimaoh, I think you're absolutely right. This is intended to be a romanticized version of the character. The reason I say that is because Hot Toys' other Boba Fett release, in 1/6, has replicated the weathering of the RotJ helmet VERY closely. So it can be done. The rough part for me is that I have to decide whether to repaint the 1/4 helmet or not. On the one hand, I want accuracy. On the other, it would be a shame to erase what is, accuracy aside, a wonderfully painted helmet. I'll look to acquire a second helmet, though at this scale, it'll probably be difficult. And as with the helmet, the majority of the armor looks to be painted inaccurately, as well.

Beyond that, and a HUGE benefit of this scale, is the soft parts. The flight suit, and vest in particular, looks BEAUTIFUL. The stitching looks scary-accurate, and with the larger size, looks much more natural. Very impressive!

Anyways, sorry for the long post (except I'm not). I'm not badmouthing the figure at all, just sharing some information, and acknowledging this figure for what it is.

Thanks for reading!

rubio95, classiest guy on the forum.

This figure, especially where I am, is very expensive. For the dollars, I want more than near enough. This is a very difficult decision. Made harder by space issues as for this to come in, something has to go. This kind of info, in such a respectful manner to all level of collectors, is fantastic.

Another fact yet to be mentioned is that even the Star Wars crew did not faithfully recreate Boba's helmet from one movie to the next. Maybe it was meant to be totally different, but the two helmets have that same left indent and from there so much is different.
But I do appreciate all the critique. It is important to critically analyze a piece, especially one of this price. I was always going to buy this as a huge Boba Fett fan. I really like the way it turned out.

It's close enough for me.

Can't wait to get it to check out the scale.

I agree 100%. I read the Boba Fett and Darth Vader movie to movie variance threads because I think it is quite interesting, but at the end of the day when I put this on my shelf, it provides me with a reminder of what the pre-teen me found captivating about Star Wars and that memory is plenty foggy that "close enough" is just that. No disrespect to those who require the precision and accuracy, as that is also a choice. Too each their own...

First reviews are up!!! Figure looks pretty awesome to me! But the gauntlets are so friggin FRAGILE! The guy in the first video below damaged the right gauntlet (20:15). Not really surprising since he wasn't careful at all when posing the arms. Not even sure if he realized he damaged it...

Back