Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest way would be to remove the current wheels, then have the new rims turned on a lathe(Including the 50's tyres). Then cast the result.

If it's a one off, just turn and mill a set of four. Why would he cast them? Mind you, if he does, we can all have a set :)

If it's a one off, just turn and mill a set of four. Why would he cast them? Mind you, if he does, we can all have a set :)

Its far far easier to turn one perfect one and cast it than to turn four perfect ones. It's just the first thing I thought of as to how I would do it. There will likely be several good ways.
Andother way would be to turn the wheel as a female mould and use that to vacform four copies. But there are likely loads of different ways to go.

2dqr046.jpg

Building the bottom half of the display case for mine! This is just the frame I will add paneling and trim all around, getting a local fabricator building the white acrylic base so I can light it up and a clear acrylic top to protect it. More to come soon

Its far far easier to turn one perfect one and cast it than to turn four perfect ones.

I'm a precision engineer and that's not correct. Once it's set on the lathe, it's easy to repeat. The whole point is they ARE perfect each time. Casting is not and need cleaning most often. One offs are the most expensive way to do something because of setup. Unless he's making hundreds, a mould is pointless and very costly, let alone making negatives. That was my point.

I'm a precision engineer and that's not correct. Once it's set on the lathe, it's easy to repeat. The whole point is they ARE perfect each time. Casting is not and need cleaning most often. One offs are the most expensive way to do something because of setup. Unless he's making hundreds, a mould is pointless and very costly, let alone making negatives. That was my point.

I am guessing it's a metal lathe you are talking about, and possibly some kind of CNC setup?
I was probably lax in not stating that i would likely have done it on my wood lathe. My apologies for not being clear on that. It's likely my own lack of skill that would lead me to make one and use that to make copies, lol.
I didn't mean there wasn't a better way. I just didn't qualify that in my previous post. Sorry.
I always err on the "easiest way to do it" method.
Do you make anything for the hobby using you knowledge and skills in engineering?

I am guessing it's a metal lathe you are talking about, and possibly some kind of CNC setup?
I was probably lax in not stating that i would likely have done it on my wood lathe. My apologies for not being clear on that. It's likely my own lack of skill that would lead me to make one and use that to make copies, lol.
I didn't mean there wasn't a better way. I just didn't qualify that in my previous post. Sorry.
I always err on the "easiest way to do it" method.
Do you make anything for the hobby using you knowledge and skills in engineering?

It's all good :duff

I was thinking he'd either do aluminum or some kind of ABS etc. Not necessarily CNC - A small woodworking lathe would be okay for the job, especially in plastic, it doesn't need any kind of real precision. It will be interesting to see what he does. I'm not brave enough to mod mine - I like it as it is.

I've only made an iron man table before - out of bits of scrap ally that looked good. But I am going to make more items soon.

It's all good :duff

I was thinking he'd either do aluminum or some kind of ABS etc. Not necessarily CNC - A small woodworking lathe would be okay for the job, especially in plastic, it doesn't need any kind of real precision. It will be interesting to see what he does. I'm not brave enough to mod mine - I like it as it is.

I was thinking that if the lathe-turned "50's wheels" were accurate enough(Or if the shape was cut into a block of wood so it could be vacformed), you could slip them over the original wheels without any mods. It could potentially be a very cheap and easy method to skin the DMC wheels in a way that could be removed in a few seconds.

I've only made an iron man table before - out of bits of scrap ally that looked good. But I am going to make more items soon.

Sweet. You got pics of that?

I was thinking that if the lathe-turned "50's wheels" were accurate enough(Or if the shape was cut into a block of wood so it could be vacformed), you could slip them over the original wheels without any mods. It could potentially be a very cheap and easy method to skin the DMC wheels in a way that could be removed in a few seconds.

Slipping them over the originals is a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Now you mention it, those 50's wheels were big, weren't they? That could work. I was thinking of just replacing them.

Sweet. You got pics of that?

No, but I could sort something out. It's not on display at the moment. It's very basic (just a flat plate for the top and a big chunk of polished ally with holes for the pedestal - then bolted together with a countersunk M6) because I had an old and broken IM figure - so made it look like Tony was working on it.

I'm more interested to see what the BTTFII mods look like.

Slipping them over the originals is a very good idea. I hadn't thought of that. Now you mention it, those 50's wheels were big, weren't they? That could work. I was thinking of just replacing them.

I used to work part time making model kit master patterns for garage model kits and try and brainstorm about an easy way to mass produce something. Usually by hand. And when thinking about the 50's wheels, the sleeve method seemed easier, and that was why i suggested making a female mould earlier. If you made it larger than the original wheel by the thickness of the plastic to be vacformed into the mould, you could get a fairly tight tolerance. It would only be cosmetic anyway.

No, but I could sort something out. It's not on display at the moment. It's very basic (just a flat plate for the top and a big chunk of polished ally with holes for the pedestal - then bolted together with a countersunk M6) because I had an old and broken IM figure - so made it look like Tony was working on it.

I'm more interested to see what the BTTFII mods look like.

Well mine will be getting shipped sometime this week. It has arrived at my friend's house and he will ship to me as soon as he can.
If it arrives without incident, i am considering getting another one to adapt into the PT2 version.

that looks cool and all but how on earth are you going to do the 1950s hubcaps on the car? That is gonna be your most challenging part.

Actually the wheels are half way done, I just need to paint the red rims and slap on the chrome dome caps I have for a perfect fit. That being said, I'm not using the wheels and tires for the original car. Nope, I sourced some vintage Mattel Barbie vehicle that had the exact size tires for my custom wheels to match the scale of the real car. It's been a custom pain in the but, but managed non the less. Pics of that soon when completed.
For now, here are some of the components on the hood box I'm working on. Still a rough look and obviously far from completion.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Back