Hot Toys Christopher Reeve DX Superman petition.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a teaser of a yulli unfinished sculpt to let us know its really real!

It might be worth reminding ourselves just how hard Reeve's likeness is to capture - he's like Harrison Ford or Mark Hammill, someone with a lot of smooth features and nothing craggy about his appearance, the hardest kind of face to sculpt.

Even if it isn't spot on, though, I doubt Hot Toys will release something that doesn't have a sculpt that is nice to look at. For instance, the Blade sculpt is slightly off, as is Michael Jackson, Billy Sole, the previously released Tony Starks, etc. But they still all look good.

Even if it isn't spot on, though, I doubt Hot Toys will release something that doesn't have a sculpt that is nice to look at. For instance, the Blade sculpt is slightly off, as is Michael Jackson, Billy Sole, the previously released Tony Starks, etc. But they still all look good.

That attention to quality is an issue in and of itself. If HT perceives an unsatisfactory fan reaction after the release, there will indeed be a second figure with a more accurate head sculpt.

This is assuming they don't get the memo and make changes before release. They did it with Blade, after all.

That attention to quality is an issue in and of itself. If HT perceives an unsatisfactory fan reaction after the release, there will indeed be a second figure with a more accurate head sculpt.

This is assuming they don't get the memo and make changes before release. They did it with Blade, after all.

I'm sure they will too. But yeah, this will really challenge them, more than, say, Arnold would with his angular features.

I reckon the fan response will really surprise them - it's not like it's based on a current release or anything.

The Warners/ DC announcements coming in the next few weeks might help - I bet there's a Superman movie in the works if not a Justice League movie too.

You're also forgetting how frankly crazy and blind the Reeves fanbase can be. Even if the likeness was literally mathematically perfect, people would say its off, doesn't look like him etc. He just has a strange face, like his extremely angular nose and whatnot. It'll be really interesting to see how this one shakes out. Frankly, I would adjust expectations accordingly, just because a lot of diehard fans have been waiting for this figure, doesn't mean its a top priority figure for Hot Toys, or that its going to be a top seller. No guarantee Yulli's doing the sculpt or it'll be a DX or come with anything other than a stand.

You're also forgetting how frankly crazy and blind the Reeves fanbase can be. Even if the likeness was literally mathematically perfect, people would say its off, doesn't look like him etc. He just has a strange face, like his extremely angular nose and whatnot. It'll be really interesting to see how this one shakes out. Frankly, I would adjust expectations accordingly, just because a lot of diehard fans have been waiting for this figure, doesn't mean its a top priority figure for Hot Toys, or that its going to be a top seller. No guarantee Yulli's doing the sculpt or it'll be a DX or come with anything other than a stand.

I love your optimism

I love your optimism

Yeah, but Reeve is frikkin' impossible to sculpt. Just look at the Cinemaquette. He's got a face that's hard and soft.

One cause for optimism is that the guy who told me this was coming said he'd seen a photo of the clay prototype which 'looked like Reeve' (when I asked him if it was a proper likeness or an Edward Scissorhands style 'not quite').

I want a great Reeve but I'd take a great Superman that's not exactly Reeve over something that looks kinda like Reeve... but dorky.

Indeed - I love all Bob's work, I even make the full size belts for his Superman displays!
This latest sculpt is magnifcent but looks more like the skinnier Reeve we see in the earlier Donner scenes.
Without derailing the thread too much, this is the sculpt I'm currently using to make my 1:1 Ultimate Reeve display - I wanted a much bulkier look reminiscent of the desert scenes at the end...

CR_Bust1-1.jpg

CR_Bust2-1.jpg

CR_Bust4-1.jpg

I hope Hot Toys is watching all this...!

Indeed - I love all Bob's work, I even make the full size belts for his Superman displays!
This latest sculpt is magnifcent but looks more like the skinnier Reeve we see in the earlier Donner scenes.
Without derailing the thread too much, this is the sculpt I'm currently using to make my 1:1 Ultimate Reeve display - I wanted a much bulkier look reminiscent of the desert scenes at the end...

CR_Bust1-1.jpg

CR_Bust2-1.jpg

CR_Bust4-1.jpg

I hope Hot Toys is watching all this...!

Amazing work

Thanks for posting that Martin-El - that's amazing. It would have the perfect expression for a 1/6 figure too - very slight smile but not so much that all you see is the smile.

So, it can be done! My expectations have now been raised, with the caveat that I don't know if it's fair to compare 1:1 scale with 1:6 (what do people think?).

I also had another question - anyone thinking of making their HT Reeve a vintage style box?

I chose to sculpt this version based on the balcony scene with Margot, it was scene specific, I felt it to be one of the most memorable parts of the movie. sculpt still in works
IMG_28812-1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Incredible-
It has "I like pink very much Lois" written all over it!!

Can't wait to see the finished article.

I know I always mess with my wife on that classic line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back