Hot Toys Disney+ Figures "The Mando" + "Cassian" + "Kenobi" + "The Book of Boba Fett"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Speculation : Hot Toys Disney+ Figures "The Mandalorian" + "Cassian" + "Kenobi"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the effects aren't great. Well some are great, but some are good, and there's definitely some subpar ones. Not trying to bash the show too much, but if Disney is intending on doing Star Wars and Marvel shows instead of movies, I want similar quality.

But IMO what some folks say is quality lack - for me it would've been the space shots re the spectacular stuff we've all seen - is on purpose. Too lazy to go digging around but Favreau said flat out he was determined to go film like the original Star Wars. So watch ANH and yep, the space sky effect IMO is dead on. It can look dated from what we spoiled babies are used to.

Favreau is a GEEK. SW Geek. He wanted the series to match the feel of the originals. But there's too many comments from cast and crew about how much work he is putting in, down to the way light falls.

There's always room for improvement and sure I'd love everything to be shot on location etc. But mostly I've been impressed - stuff like the Jawa transport, the inside of Mando's ship (especially when torn up), the creatures, location shots, the droids. There's SRSLY nothing like BP's rubbery end fight that I thought was a mistake leak when I first saw it. Or the some of the stuff at the end of Doctor Strange.

Re: Speculation : Hot Toys Disney+ Figures "The Mandalorian" + "Cassian" + "Kenobi"

But IMO what some folks say is quality lack - for me it would've been the space shots re the spectacular stuff we've all seen - is on purpose. Too lazy to go digging around but Favreau said flat out he was determined to go film like the original Star Wars. So watch ANH and yep, the space sky effect IMO is dead on. It can look dated from what we spoiled babies are used to.

Bad CGI is bad CGI.

As I said, some effects looks amazing (mostly the practical stuff) and some very poor. That to me is disappointing given the money thrown at the show and the fact there are other shows doing it better. To try and say that is a stylistic choice is laughable at best. It's either lazy or cheaping out.

Last edited:

Bad CGI does not remotely look as good as the original model effects in ANH.

As I said, some effects looks amazing (mostly the practical stuff) and some very poor. That to me is disappointing given the money thrown at the show and the fact there are other shows doing it better. To try and say that is a stylistic choice is laughable at best. It's either lazy or cheaping out.

To me it's more laughable reading even "published journalists" who clearly can't be bothered to do any backround reading, at all. Also asserting "this is bad" and "this is good" and "this show does it better" is based on what, exactly?

Opinions. And even if uber phD in special graphic effects rolls up picking frame by frame apart, from a technical aspect *shrug*. David Russell (3 Kings) might carefully depict a bullet travelling an intestine but I wont be watching that Wednesday. I wont stop watching LOTR coz the Army of the Dead looks like scrubbing bubbles in the long shots. Havent seen anything in Mando that really bothers me. U cant say what is "cheaping out" unless u know the budget and how it's spent (I'd rather see best actors, writers and stuntpeople than another big explosion zzzzzz)

If anything stuff like the dewbacks got upgrades from ANH, IMO.

I think there are certain areas that the CGI can improve, like some of the space scenes. I'm sure they will do better in Season 2.

Then don't be that geek that watches each episode as soon as it becomes available than one second after it's done jump in this forum and start discussing that episode before most people had a chance to see it. Some people do have more going on in their lives than just waiting breathlessly for each new episode.

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it's more laughable reading even "published journalists" who clearly can't be bothered to do any backround reading, at all. Also asserting "this is bad" and "this is good" and "this show does it better" is based on what, exactly?

Opinions. And even if uber phD in special graphic effects rolls up picking frame by frame apart, from a technical aspect *shrug*. David Russell (3 Kings) might carefully depict a bullet travelling an intestine but I wont be watching that Wednesday. I wont stop watching LOTR coz the Army of the Dead looks like scrubbing bubbles in the long shots. Havent seen anything in Mando that really bothers me. U cant say what is "cheaping out" unless u know the budget and how it's spent (I'd rather see best actors, writers and stuntpeople than another big explosion zzzzzz)

If anything stuff like the dewbacks got upgrades from ANH, IMO.

I had a long response typed out, but given the strawman argument put up in response to my last point, I'll just say one thing and leave it at that.

It is possible to be disappointed with the quality of some of the effects and still like and want to watch the show.

Love the Mandalorian so far. If the story and characters are engaging I don't even notice special effects issues. Honestly I didn't know that was a complaint. This is basically the show I dreamed of watching as a Boba Fett fan in my youth. To each his own I guess *shrug* looking forward to any and all Hot Toys from the show.

Love the Mandalorian so far. If the story and characters are engaging I don't even notice special effects issues. Honestly I didn't know that was a complaint. This is basically the show I dreamed of watching as a Boba Fett fan in my youth. To each his own I guess *shrug* looking forward to any and all Hot Toys from the show.

Yep. Weathered Stormtrooper is up. I guess that one was pretty much a given. But at least significantly different to all the others to potentially warrant it.

I'm still hoping we get a couple of more figures from The Mandalorian for this season.

I guess it will depend on how the next two episodes turn out, and which characters are involved. I assume we'll get Cara Dune at some point. Maybe when Season 2 comes out. Same with full Beskar Mando I suppose.

I think good chances for Season 1 are: Beskar Mando, Death Trooper, Scout Trooper, Incinerator Trooper and the Child.

So nothing that requires likeness approval. Seems like HT at the mo.

I think good chances for Season 1 are: Beskar Mando, Death Trooper, Scout Trooper, Incinerator Trooper and the Child.

This is the most accurate speculation post I have ever seen on this forum.

I wonder if they're not doing character that'd require likeness rights because they feared this line would sell as poorly as the ST stuff and figured it might not be worth the extra expense.

I definitely wanna add at least Cara Dune to my collection at some point.

I wonder if they're not doing character that'd require likeness rights because they feared this line would sell as poorly as the ST stuff and figured it might not be worth the extra expense.

Yeah me too. But I guess they're working on her now for a Season 2 release. I really want a little UgNolte though !!!! He would look so cool on the shelf with backpack etc.

Or because the main character in this show is always under a helmet? There haven't really been a lot of mainstay characters besides Mando and The Child.

Kuill is a great character but hardly one that's been in many episodes. Plus...
We don't know if he's dead or not after this most recent episode. Hoping he pulls through as he's great.

Same goes for Cara. I would bet we'll get a figure of her if she's a main character going forward.

This line is probably just starting and Hot Toys most likely went with characters they figured would sell right away. Mando and other Mandalorian variants are going to sell. A Trooper is something that already exists that they can retool. Kinda surprised they did IG-11, but happy that they are doing him.

Cara would require a bit of development time for the headsculpt. The figure will need a new body. Same goes for Kuill. I hope they put up the Scout trooper soon. If there are licensing issue with the SSC one, it's now gone since they can use the Mando license. It will sell.

I'm wondering more and more if HT will go the standalone articulated figure for a 1/6 Child. It should have some articulation in the arms and shoulders and multiple head sculpts. I prefer that over multiple small statues.

I want the angry force choke headsulpt LOL

My understanding is that likeness rights are part of the individual actor's base contract with Lucasfilm/Disney. So there would be no extra cost or negotiation, in terms of acquiring likeness rights, on the part of Hot Toys (or any other licensee) from Lucasfilm/Disney.

So, shall SS

rush to re-release an e-web with updated power block?

I find myself wanting the whole gang Guardian of the Galaxy style after that finale.

I just wanna army build Death Watch. Give me at least 2 or 3 of them.

Moff Gideon or riot i say :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back