Hot Toys DX46: Terminator 2: Judgment Day - T-800 (Battle Damaged Version 2.0)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure she bagan with a clean sculpt, and then worked her way down to the final look.

All things considered though, the figure has a far better likenesses than what's shown there.
Yixie didn't sculpt the BD termintator heads from what I understand. If they did, it was heavily reworked as JC Hong credits Hwantakim for the sculpt, and not Yixie unless I'm misinterpreting the post. The detailing of the hair alone is pretty different aside from the difference in likeness between the render and final product. If I'm not mistaken, Hwantakim sculpted quite a lot of the recent good HT sculpts like the new Wolverine, Darth Maul 2.0, Batfleck 2.0, Sabin Wren, MK2 Tony 2.0, old man Indy.

So, a clean version could be on the way and Yixie jumped the gun by showing those renders?

Last edited:
Yixie didn't sculpt the BD termintator heads from what I understand. If they did, it was heavily reworked as JC Hong credits Hwantakim for the sculpt, and not Yixie unless I'm misinterpreting the post. The detailing of the hair alone is pretty different aside from the difference in likeness between the render and final product. If I'm not mistaken, Hwantakim sculpted quite a lot of the recent good HT sculpts like the new Wolverine, Darth Maul 2.0, Batfleck 2.0, Sabin Wren, MK2 Tony 2.0, old man Indy.

So, a clean version could be on the way and Yixie jumped the gun by showing those renders?

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through just to have an inferior sculpt. But seems like you're spot on there. I mean I'll take it, he'll have the glasses on anyway, but it feels like a step back.

I'm glad they're recognizing that Hwantakim can pull off some killer stuff though.

Typically if I'm only getting a single figure to represent a character, it'd be a "clean" version.
This figure is an exception, in that if HT was releasing an updated clean version alongside this bd version, I'd get the bd version over the clean version.
For Terminator I love to see the cybernetic parts showing through the damage. Personally for me it's a far more interesting look.

I'm sure she bagan with a clean sculpt, and then worked her way down to the final look.

All things considered though, the figure has a far better likenesses than what's shown there.
Doesn't look like the sculpt for this figure when you look at all of the finer details.

1726522538777.png
1726522582730.png

why a 'clean' Terminator? Did you like him best looking like the actor Arnold Schwarzenegger...?
I think the battle damage is just a little much. The heads are fine but I don't really like the exposed chest etc.

Attachments

• 1726522548946.png
    1726522548946.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
I've been waiting and waiting in hopes of Hot Toys doing this figure again. I sold mine years ago and have always regretted it. In fact, I sold all my Hot Toys but this is the one I miss the most. That said, does Sideshow have any coupon codes for pre-order figures or is that a no? It's been years since I've bought a HT figure and $400 shipped is a hard pill to swallow. I'm just trying to find anything to knock a few bucks off.

I know PT studio is supposed to be the best terminator sculpt but all things considered, I think the hot toys one beats it or its close to the point of I can't choose which is better. I think just by the fact you can adjust where his eye is looking allows you to tilt the head in ways you can hide parts of the likness that you dont prefer. It also allows for a lot more personality. There are some angles that look better for one vs the other and vise versa. Obviously we have no idea what the quality of the production pieces will look like though.
terminator.jpg

I've been waiting and waiting in hopes of Hot Toys doing this figure again. I sold mine years ago and have always regretted it. In fact, I sold all my Hot Toys but this is the one I miss the most. That said, does Sideshow have any coupon codes for pre-order figures or is that a no? It's been years since I've bought a HT figure and $400 shipped is a hard pill to swallow. I'm just trying to find anything to knock a few bucks off.
Some of those discount codes used to work for PO but i noticed in the last couple years, they mostly only apply to select or in stock items.

I know PT studio is supposed to be the best terminator sculpt but all things considered, I think the hot toys one beats it or its close to the point of I can't choose which is better. I think just by the fact you can adjust where his eye is looking allows you to tilt the head in ways you can hide parts of the likness that you dont prefer. It also allows for a lot more personality. There are some angles that look better for one vs the other and vise versa. Obviously we have no idea what the quality of the production pieces will look like though.View attachment 726237
The more lifelike human eye (at least at prototype stage) goes a long way for Hot Toys there but otherwise my vote would be for the PT studio who have a better grasp of the shape of Arnie's face and head.

I know PT studio is supposed to be the best terminator sculpt but all things considered, I think the hot toys one beats it or its close to the point of I can't choose which is better. I think just by the fact you can adjust where his eye is looking allows you to tilt the head in ways you can hide parts of the likness that you dont prefer. It also allows for a lot more personality. There are some angles that look better for one vs the other and vise versa. Obviously we have no idea what the quality of the production pieces will look like though.View attachment 726237
I still believe the PT head is likely the best on the market. There is barely any drop in quality from prototype to production. However, the Hot Toys head offers some nice features like the rolling eyeball and illuminated eyes, and the hair detail appears more defined in the Hot Toys prototype compared to the PT version.

The PT head is quite expensive though, with the unpainted version priced at $265 last I checked, and painting it adding roughly another $200. In contrast, the Hot Toys set, which includes the body, clothing, accessories, and diorama base etc. is about $360. From a value standpoint, Hot Toys offers a much better deal. Despite this, the PT head has a marginally better likeness, though this can be subjective.

It’s also worth noting that Hot Toys produces around 50-60 figures a year. If they devoted all their resources to a single figure, as PT does, their results might surpass the PT head significantly.

Back