Hot Toys Mars Attacks! Thread--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Mars Attacks! Thread

I thought they developed the stop motion bodies though... but ended up going fully CGI? There's no models in the film as i understand

After seeing the movie again today i must say Hot Toys did not succeed in capturing these creatures. The headsculpt is just wrong; the eyes, the shape and size of the brain, the nose.

I'm not so sure if i want these figures anymore. Maybe these figures will look better when Wookster comes with some high-res official pictures when they are announced. However i expected more from Hot Toys.

Oh, I didn't see mars attacks had it's own thread.:eek: Maybe those aliens are "cool" but they don't look like the martians from the movie and the cards. I'll keep my money and my -good- old cheap trendmaster toys !

just skimmed through the 'making of' book again to refresh my mind... I was right. They made full size heads & stop motion martians, and had done all the research and sculpting/building of these models... then at the last minute it was decided that it would take too long to make the film this way...as they'd have to shoot the live action first... THEN design the stop motion action around that.

So they went with CGI martians for all of the film (apart from where there's a dead full size martian). Also worth noting that the CGI martians were slightly different in size, shape & proportion than the stop motion ones. (arms had different bicep/forearm sizes, legs were different.. and other things)

the HT figures match more closely the body shape & proportion of the original stop motion puppets... but it's not too close to the CGI 'movie' ones.

Having said all that... I'm still getting these. It's the closest thing we have to getting perfect Mars Attacks figures... and I know I'll still love them!! :rock

They look great! However I'm not interested and I'm really scratching my head over Hot Toys getting this license.

Perhaps it was a "personal favorite" of some of the Hot Toys staff. But still, this is a very distinct "Sideshow" route to get some obscure and past sci-fi stuff...much like Planet of the Apes.

From what I can see, the figures look pretty cool :joy

After seeing the movie again, I'm definitely not a fan. But I'll get these because they're cool figures. And since I'm not such a big fan the fact that the jaw jowls aren't the exact same length as the ones on screen won't matter as much.

out of interest Dave what did you mean when you said Nicholson ruined the movie ?.
I've not watched this in years.

out of interest Dave what did you mean when you said Nicholson ruined the movie ?.
I've not watched this in years.
He played dual roles and overacted for each of them, it was totally on purpose, but not something everyone would enjoy.

He played dual roles and overacted for each of them, it was totally on purpose, but not something everyone would enjoy.

Ah ok , thanks. Thats not something I recall. I can understand why he could then.
It just seemed strange to me when Dave said that because hes arguably ( well for me he is ) the best actor in the movie.
I'll have to run to Blockbuster tommorow across the road to see if I can pick it up cheap.

These figures aren't perfect but still look very nice, i really want to see some official HT photo's.

When can we expect the announcement with pics?

How about this 8th..

Photo Manipulation Mod 1
marsattackmod.png

Photo Manipulation Mod 2
mod2s.png

Is this what you meant!?

Last edited:

That is really good Devil that's how they should look! It makes the figures look so much more accurate and better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hey uscmhicks, you can watch the whole movie on Youtube instead of renting or buying a cheap copy. It's really not worth it, the movie is pretty much a disaster. The Martians themsleves are fun, but the movie is terrible. That being said, you don't have to like the movie to like the Martians, I love them (and the old cards) I know I'll be picking these up.

How long does Hot Toys usually take between announcing a figure and releasing one?

when did mars attacks come out in the cinema ??? just out of interest. must have been 97, 98 ish

Yeah '96. I've seen it once and only once. It was enjoyable.. but I've had zero desire to ever see it again.

Man, i havnt seen the movie in years and i'v only seen it once. But i'm definitel getting these two just because they're so cool looking.

Usually I'll only buy figures from movies that I really liked and I thought I had no interest in the mars attacks license, but those two look amazing and I'm already hoping they come out somewhere for preorder so I can get on the list

Back