Hot Toys - MMS 106 - Alien - BIG CHAP collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good lord, that's a lot of modding. And gluing all those tiny areas along the dome... you'd need a steady hand and a prayer that nothing gets smeared or glued.

Im still pretty new to this hobby and modding but I too built garage kits in the 90's and Im also a scene designer for theatre so I build scenic models all year long.

As for trying something different, here's a different idea for a toy company - make something that actually looks like the source!

We are all still waiting for that. I think it will be a long time before we get that, though. 30 years for that grail and waiting.

I don't feel that they gave it an 'expression' :dunno Its mouth is semi-open by default because of the jaw mechanism, no 'expression' is intended there.

The jaw mechanism doesn't play any part in the mouths open position. They left the mouth open very deliberately. Just like the black shadow line around the dome. I don't think it's a mistake. :dunno

1) I repositioned the skull on the inside
2) smashed the dome farther down over the whole thing. I thought the height of the head was to tall.
3) filled the seam on the back part of the head. Didn't like it.
4) pulled the upper lip into the dome.
5) pulled the rubber up over the dome at the chamfer line and glued it.
6) repainted the whole dome. Mine you could see the skull pretty clearly and I didnt like it.
7) added clear medium to the whole mouth and tendon area with a touch of color

I hate showing process shots but here is mine right now. Im still working on the teeth, but you can see the difference between the stock teeth, lower bottom and the replacements that Im adding in. Each tooth is carved aluminum tubing or rod that is polished, drilled and glued into place. I still have a long way to go but here it is as it stands now.

32c110ad.jpg

Those teeth look brilliant!
Have you thought about casting them? I'm sure a few of us would buy a new set of dentures for our alien...

Incidentally, will you remove the extra teeth? It always bothers me when sculptors decide the alien needs more teeth.

Anyway, the mods look fantastic, but I hesitate to try something as invasive as that. Congrats, I look forward to seeing the final result!
Now, if only we could fix the arms, legs and back tubes... :D

Those teeth look brilliant!
Have you thought about casting them? I'm sure a few of us would buy a new set of dentures for our alien...

Incidentally, will you remove the extra teeth? It always bothers me when sculptors decide the alien needs more teeth.

Anyway, the mods look fantastic, but I hesitate to try something as invasive as that. Congrats, I look forward to seeing the final result!
Now, if only we could fix the arms, legs and back tubes... :D

I dont think casting would work. Im drilling out each tooth and replacing it with the new metal one.

I dont think casting would work. Im drilling out each tooth and replacing it with the new metal one.

I was actually thinking of how dentists make a casting of one's teeth when they want to make an implant, when they make a mold of all your teeth by putting those metal plaques with some type of resin and have you bite down on it.
When they pull that crap out it feels like they're going to pull your teeth out!

Anyway, was just thinking out loud really...

Thanks man. If I had more confidence in my abilities I would say send the sucker, but the whole process is so hit or miss I would be afraid to screw it up.

Good luck on your recovery Robbie. Really love the mod. Wish I could just send you my Big Chap head and have the same thing done. :D
Thanks man. If I had more confidence in my abilities I would say send the sucker, but the whole process is so hit or miss I would be afraid to screw it up.

In fact, I think it was leaving from a good feeling: hey, we just think to your rehabilitation!... :1-1: :lol
Your surgical operation of carpal tunnel syndrome is common in my profession (hands too frequently nose up during the keystroke). Please tell me if you recover the mobility and flexibility of your wrists, because right now, I'm really not motivated to pass on billiards... (not sure of the correct translation here = undergo the surgical operation) :horror
Finally, in any event, superb dental improvement! Bravo! :clap:clap:clap

What the heck, here are some pics of my current pose. I tried to convey as much movement as possible while still keeping the figure unmodified and standing on its own. Thankfully, its held this pose quite nicely. :yess: Such a fun little figure. :)

That's some very cool pictures you have there! I love that pose very nice.
Oh forgot to ask what silver paint did you use? I always had trouble with silver drying correctly.

Pictures pictures pictures! Pretty much everyone favorite pose.

Silvered the teeth and nails and glued the mouth shut.

BigChapCloseUp.jpg
BigChapSpotLight.jpg

BigChapDark.jpg
BigChapNormalLight.jpg

Last edited:
Back