Hot Toys-MMS 201-Man of Steel-Jor-El-1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys-MMS 201-Jor-El 1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Because the truth is, it also sucks to be Hot Toys. I think they stopped listening because of our own fault. We never get satisfied. Batfan08's post earlier summed up how funny collectors are. Hot Toys and the rest of the high-end figuremakers can never please everybody. They always look for something else, some would never understand that these molds are hand-sculpted thus there'd be NO perfect headsculpt, and some think that Hot Toys charge whatever pricetag they want just because they are Hot Toys. They think that every actor charges the same amount for likeness and that every movie and companies that own their copyrights charge the same amount for licensing.

But they buy anyway. Because that's what they know best. Buying and collecting. They don't know nor care what happens behind the scenes. They just demand because they think Hot Toys owe them where they are now.
:exactly: Very much agree!!! A lot of collectors sound extremely spoiled. And they lost something inside themselves, the joy of collecting. Heck they can't even enjoy the movies anymore, all they do is complain about everything.

You get into these high-end collectibles, the stuff gets expensive. You can't go into it thinking you can buy everything. Some ive seen go broke trying to, and its sad.

Plus so many ignore the fact things will always go up in price weekly, monthly, yearly, etc. Its amazing how so many people think 2005 prices should be 2013 prices. They live in a dream world inside a dream world.

Those of us who love collecting and love the characters shouldn't let these people get in the way of our happiness. If they want to be miserable and complain every 5 seconds, thats their problem.

Initially, my first reaction was the same as everyone else. "How is he $20 more than Superman?" However, there's really no need to complain and argue about it. Reason being that we already complained and argued about it two years ago when we asked "why is The Joker $35 more than Batman when they are on equal ground, as far as accessories go." The bottom line is that Jack Nicholson can afford to charge more for his likeness than Keaton, just like I'm sure Russ-El can charge more for his than a newcomer like Cavill.

Will order this when it goes up at AE (hopefully tomorrow b/c I'm getting antsy :lol)

Because the truth is, it also sucks to be Hot Toys. I think they stopped listening because of our own fault. We never get satisfied. Batfan08's post earlier summed up how funny collectors are. Hot Toys and the rest of the high-end figuremakers can never please everybody. They always look for something else, some would never understand that these molds are hand-sculpted thus there'd be NO perfect headsculpt, and some think that Hot Toys charge whatever pricetag they want just because they are Hot Toys. They think that every actor charges the same amount for likeness and that every movie and companies that own their copyrights charge the same amount for licensing.

But they buy anyway. Because that's what they know best. Buying and collecting. They don't know nor care what happens behind the scenes. They just demand because they think Hot Toys owe them where they are now.
Finally! :clap:goodpost:

Initially, my first reaction was the same as everyone else. "How is he $20 more than Superman?" However, there's really no need to complain and argue about it. Reason being that we already complained and argued about it two years ago when we asked "why is The Joker $35 more than Batman when they are on equal ground, as far as accessories go." The bottom line is that Jack Nicholson can afford to charge more for his likeness than Keaton, just like I'm sure Russ-El can charge more for his than a newcomer like Cavill.
:goodpost:

I think ppl forget that Crowe doesn't give his likeness out which is why we have no other official figure of his. We got lucky here b/c it's probably in the contract to let them use his likeness. However, he also might of said "sure ok, but I want ____ from each one"

Also, Batfan, could you please add "Man of Steel" into the title, por favor? I keep thinking this is the old Brando thread :lol

Last edited:

:exactly: great example :goodpost:

The DCD Jor El 1/6 statue, play arts figure and movie masters all have his likeness.

Movie masters only cost £16 so likeness cost isn't high

The DCD Jor El 1/6 statue, play arts figure and movie masters all have his likeness.

I believe he is referring to merchandising % clause in the contract.

The likeness looks great. Some of you snots should just hire Russell Crowe himself to sit on your shelf.

BB

They aren't going to charge more for those little movie masters and same goes for the PAK figures. Each figure in lines for both PAK and Movie Master are usually just about the same price. Bane, Bats, Catwoman all the same price, same for all the Arkham figures and the Mass Effect figures last I recall. When it comes to 1/6 figures, by SS or HT, prices vary by the figure/character.

But there's no point in trying to argue b/c the freaks just like to complain complain complain and the whining and crying drowns out anything else so why bother

Yeah. And how much do you think is the actual production cost? $3 per figure? $5? it has no tailoring, cheap and obviously more quickly rendered paintjob, standard blister packaging, no extra hands, cheap stand. Who knows, maybe another $5 goes to Russel Crowe? I think it's easier to compromise profit and shoulder the excessive likeness fees of an actor just to keep the price steady if your actual production cost is low anyway.

Jor-El would likely be more expensive than Kal-El through SSC.... estimated USD 209.99 to 219.99....

I was spot on (3 to 4 days ago).... I was baiting SSC for the lower point, but 219.99.... was an almost a certainty

I was spot on (3 to 4 days ago).... I was baiting SSC for the lower point, but 219.99.... was an almost a certainty

Yes you were unfortunately there are no prizes for such predictions :lol only more expensive figures.

That's BS. It cost "extra" because Hot Toys can charge whatever the hell they want for these figures and people (myself included) will still buy them.:lecture

Extra likeness fees or not, it being BS or not, the price is what it is. Either the price is something I'm willing to pay or I'm not. :slap At the end of the day this figure has items Superman doesn't that could potentially be a reason for a higher price, the likeness of a much more established actor being one of them. :lecture

Yep,
The key was also like a jump drive with a copy of Jor-El's memories and intellect on it. The Codex was fused into the cells of Clarks body, but not after Joe-el stole it. I guess (in my opinion) it was a piece of one of the very first Humanoid Kryptonians from which all Kryptonians evolved, and that's how they were able to draw all the different genetic coded of the various blood lines from it.

That's not how evolution occurs on earth (my beef with Faora's speech as well).... A more pertinent/appropriate explanation would be the Codex being a repository of all the variations of the gene pool of the humanoid Krytonians (and only just 1 billion individuals), in the shape of a skull.

Which brings a few points.
1. Jor-El does not deemed any other Krytonian creatures or plants legacy is of any importance.
2. As babies are born to the house of El through genetic selection & presumably house of El has more variants than a single individual, and Kal-El is presumed to inherit half his genetic information from his mother (another house). Kara Zor-El could totally genetically unrelated to Kal-El. Hence her purpose is as a breeding partner to Kal-El.... seeing Kal-El sent all other female Krytonians to their doom (black-hole) and destroy the birthing chamber, hence negating Jor-El's effort of stealing the Codex (unless Kal-El can repair/rebuild it).... Kara Zor-El would be Kal-El only other alternative.

:lol at thinking likeness fees have anything to do with the difference in price between this and Superman.

The MAN OF STEEL license is "Sum In Total", which means licensees get full use of likenesses of any of the actors who approved of their use in their movie deals made with WB, not the licensees themselves. Hot Toys paid a lump sum for this license (plus a percentage of sales, of course). And that sum would've been the same whether they produced a Russell Crowe Jor-El figure or not.

In the past, some figure costs may have been affected by additional likeness fees charged by the actor. But that is not the case here.

Perhaps it's safe to say that HT is charging more because they know it's the only licensed high-end Crowe figure on the market, and, even if he's not asking more for the likeness, they are?

Perhaps it's safe to say they're charging more because of the gun and robe. End of story.

Maybe. Or they could be off-setting some of their other costs by placing a higher margin on this one. Or it could be Sideshow as well. No idea.

Also, I'm sure they expect to sell many times more of the Superman figure, which could conceivably allow that one to come in at the lower price (edition sizes).

I still think the profit margins on these things are becoming obscene, though.

Also, one of the weirdest things about this hobby is that it allows a mindset among consumers to think that additional small pieces of plastic or fabric are rational reasons for one item to cost 10% more than another at retail.

That gun, robes, and armor pieces are absolutely NOT equal to $20 more in costs for each figure over Superman.

The only tangible reason I can think of is a huge difference in expected run sizes for each item.

Back