Hot Toys-MMS 201-Man of Steel-Jor-El-1/6th Scale Collectible figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, one of the weirdest things about this hobby is that it allows a mindset among consumers to think that additional small pieces of plastic or fabric are rational reasons for one item to cost 10% more than another at retail.

That gun, robes, and armor pieces are absolutely NOT equal to $20 more in costs for each figure over Superman.

The only tangible reason I can think of is a huge difference in expected run sizes for each item.

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea how difficult it is to tailor at 1/6 scale? B/c I do. I've done it and I'd charge more than $20 for that robe, not including the armor on top. And while the robe maye seem simple to some, it's a quite complex piece if you know about fabrics and tailoring. One could say the rifle with Jor El equals the 1:1 and 1:6 command key with Supes, that still leaves the robe and armor on top, which to me, equals the little bit of extra charge.

There's never any logic to the prices they charge. It's all arbitrary, it has been that way for a while now.

Then there's the fan speculation/myths that always seem to rear it's ugly head like, "oh, it must be the accessory", "the higher price is because of the actor likeness", etc. Nope, none of the above. None of us are in the know. There's simply no rhyme or reason to why they charge more for one character and not the other.

These are both from the same license (MoS banner) and have roughly the same accessories (figure, standard MoS base, one accessory and hands).

945922_10151446326072344_556535160_n.jpg

1748DF17-27B2-45EB-A5F9-5777D363969A-1929-0000014857E515C8.jpg

Jor-El costs more because Hot Toys can price it at that and dictates it as such, that's all.

I think it has to do with how many they think will sell of a certain figure. They must know that Superman is going to sell like crazy since it's Superman therefore they can lower the price a bit and still make as much money (if not more) than a higher priced figure that won't sell as much but because it is priced a little bit higher, they are making the same amount of money.

Just my crazy thinking. It's only business.

I don't really care if it costs 20 bucks more, that's on Hot Toys. At the end of the day, though, there's a reason that I POed Supes when he went up, yet I still haven't revisited the page for this one. Maybe I'll get him, maybe I won't; that's all there is to it.

Time to use the next $20 off coupon when one comes available. Either that, or I'll use my points when it comes time to order him. I have a hunch $220 is become the new price standard. :(

Hot Toys does not price figures on a whim. There is no magical dartboard where they throw a dart and come up with a number. The price for every figure is determined by a set of variables none of us know about or are privy to. We only know Jor-El costs more than Superman does. Whether that comes down to accessories, materials, complexity of construction, manufacturing, likeness rights, production runs or whatever else I can't think of at the moment, is unknown to us. Speculation on any of these variables is valid yet, ultimately futile as we will never know exactly why one item is priced higher than another outside of patterns that we can attempt to decipher. At the end of the day Hot Toys charges a percentage above cost, that Sideshow or any retailer then charges another percentage on top of. We as consumers then have the option of paying it or not. :banghead :peace

It's a shame that the suit looks to be non-removable, and the sculpt is not great but just 'good'...

But what the hey! Ordered via the affiliate link! I thought Crowe and Costner were great as Dad(s).

I have pre-ordered a couple.
One for me, and one for my Brother.
I knew it was going to be more expensive than $200 owing to the complicated robes. This figure is basically a MOS Superman figure with extra parts and a different head. Or *course* it was going to cost more. Only the boots and S shield are different colours.
I would have happily paid more than this, but i am glad it's only $220.

i wish people would sound off on sideshow's shipping policies. the price of figures is set by hot toys but sideshow really needs to combine ship and stop charging $10 for a pack out when BBTS charges $2. BBTS also has their pile of loot to combine ship and save a bit that way plus they pack it out with heavy bubble wrap so it arrives case fresh, not shipping destroyed.

701fs.jpg

i wish people would sound off on sideshow's shipping policies. the price of figures is set by hot toys but sideshow really needs to combine ship and stop charging $10 for a pack out when BBTS charges $2. BBTS also has their pile of loot to combine ship and save a bit that way plus they pack it out with heavy bubble wrap so it arrives case fresh, not shipping destroyed.

701fs.jpg

Ouch! Thats from sideshow?

701fs.jpg

Thats scary. I've gotten 29 HT from Sideshow and have not had anything close to that happen. 1 had a slight ding on one corner. And 2 had very minor blemishes on the actual art box, but the brown shipper was fine. And SS credited me on the one with the ding, and replaced both damaged art boxes. I guess I've been really lucky.

That makes me want to add the $10 for a pack out.

Last edited:
No discount yet again from Alterego. :slap

https://www.alteregocomics.com/hot-toys-jor-el.html

SSC needs to stop limiting the other retailers. Eliminates any point of even buying from these retailers and even if that is what they're trying to do, why even have them sell these figures at this rate. Shame because I would have ordered it from AE over SSC.

Is this character/figure really worth $220 to you guys? Do you really want it that bad on your shelf?

For me? Yes. I was a really big fan of this movie, and I think the figure looks spectacular. Could it be cheaper? Absolutely.

Maybe i am just jaded with paying higher prices for DX figures, etc. But This was a no hesitation purchase for me.

Darkmatter, that's your carrier's fault, not Sideshow's. I've only had one item come in with a hole in the box and my carrier waited until I opened it and checked it, and it was fine. He actually wanted me to check it before he left.

Alter Ego says on their site that this is extremely limited and it's a SCCC pre-order, that's why it cost more.

Back