1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that all I had to do to get a Solo figure that looks more like Harrison Ford?

Damn, I messed that one up.

harrison-ford-gif-2.gif

I have the set on PO and don't regret it one bit. I agree that the sculpt has plenty of room for improvement, but if I get what is shown there is no mistaking it as Han Solo. Chewie is a nice figure also. You guys regretting your PO need to not be so compulsive on your ordering. The sculpt hasn't changed from the initial PO. Now if it takes a large step backward from proto at release, then there is reason for regret.

Ahem*

like·ness
ˈlīknəs/
noun
noun: likeness; plural noun: likenesses

the fact or quality of being alike; resemblance.

This doesn't sound like they're trying for just a bit more than a resemblance or a passing likeness? "We will bring fans a large range of high-end collectibles with movie-accurate details and stunning likeness! The movie-accurate collectible figure is specially crafted based on the image of Harrison Ford as Han Solo... "

This doesn't sound like they're trying for just a bit more than a resemblance or a passing likeness? "We will bring fans a large range of high-end collectibles with movie-accurate details and stunning likeness! The movie-accurate collectible figure is specially crafted based on the image of Harrison Ford as Han Solo... "

Well... It is stunning how they got so many other celebrity likenesses into one sculpt. So from a certain point of view....

(*☻-☻*)

I have the set on PO and don't regret it one bit. I agree that the sculpt has plenty of room for improvement, but if I get what is shown there is no mistaking it as Han Solo. Chewie is a nice figure also.

Word. No better or worse than Bespin Luke (if you ignore the price) and I'm pretty happy with him.

I heard they only made Chewie so people would know the companion figure was actually Han Solo. I'm getting the pair :yess:

Despite the obvious likeness issues here, I've assumed in the back of my mind that I would pick this figure and Chewy up at some point. But I'm not so sure about that now. And I might not get Chewy either as a result.

I think in the end, avoiding the HT Chewie will be a well dodged bullet. :lol

If ever there was a QC nightmare waiting to happen, it'll be that thing. Like others have said now, it's commendable that they tried to go all out with the fur & attempt to retain the resemblance / realism, but ehh. There's no way it'll be problem free, & it's their first try.

If that's as good as it's going to get, I'll just wait for a company to do a kick*** sculpted 1/6 statue & call it a day.

As far as Star Wars Hot Toys two packs go, I think the Stormtroopers are the better sell. Good representations of the character, variety to the display, decent value.

My initial excitement of the "first 1/6 high end Chewie" has worn off. The body is nice but that face just doesn't look like Chewbacca. I know the fur is an obstacle for the portrait, but that didn't stop them from pulling off their Spider-Man figures. Chewie is an ambitious undertaking on their part, but looking hard at all the pics we've gotten, I don't think they're going to pull it off. As others have pointed out, this has quality control nightmare written all over it.

Besides the crappy boots, huge lobster hands (obvious hyperbole), tree trunk forearms (obvious hyperbole) and lack of a decent/solid Harrison Ford likeness, I think the biggest problem with Han is that he just looks like a generic Hot Toys figure. Harrison Ford/Han Solo from '77 shouldn't be lackluster, generic or even "okay" at $230. I think you have a problem when your forgettable Ben Kingsley Trevor Slattery "Mandarin" is a better representation of the character than the icon that is Han Solo. Han here is about on par with the Hot Toys GI Joe: Motion picture figures. They aren't bad really, but they're not exactly the cream of the crop. Most of those have a better likeness to the actors they represent too. Star Wars Han Solo should be better than those for a 2015 figure. There's no excuse. This Hot Toys Han seems like the bare minimum, like they're just putting out a "Han Solo" and nothing more. I don't see any work of passion in that sculpt or the outfit or anything. It'll probably be an okay figure along the lines of Spider-Man 3 New Goblin where it's an okay figure with no real quality control issues that you throw up on a shelf and say, "well I have a 'Han'", but is that really all people want? A "meh", "okay" Han. Surely this could be done better.

As far as Star Wars Hot Toys two packs go, I think the Stormtroopers are the better sell. Good representations of the character, variety to the display, decent value.

My initial excitement of the "first 1/6 high end Chewie" has worn off. The body is nice but that face just doesn't look like Chewbacca. I know the fur is an obstacle for the portrait, but that didn't stop them from pulling off their Spider-Man figures. Chewie is an ambitious undertaking on their part, but looking hard at all the pics we've gotten, I don't think they're going to pull it off. As others have pointed out, this has quality control nightmare written all over it.

Besides the crappy boots, huge lobster hands (obvious hyperbole), tree trunk forearms (obvious hyperbole) and lack of a decent/solid Harrison Ford likeness, I think the biggest problem with Han is that he just looks like a generic Hot Toys figure. Harrison Ford/Han Solo from '77 shouldn't be lackluster, generic or even "okay" at $230. I think you have a problem when your forgettable Ben Kingsley Trevor Slattery "Mandarin" is a better representation of the character than the icon that is Han Solo. Han here is about on par with the Hot Toys GI Joe: Motion picture figures. They aren't bad really, but they're not exactly the cream of the crop. Most of those have a better likeness to the actors they represent too. Star Wars Han Solo should be better than those for a 2015 figure. There's no excuse. This Hot Toys Han seems like the bare minimum, like they're just putting out a "Han Solo" and nothing more. I don't see any work of passion in that sculpt or the outfit or anything. It'll probably be an okay figure along the lines of Spider-Man 3 New Goblin where it's an okay figure with no real quality control issues that you throw up on a shelf and say, "well I have a 'Han'", but is that really all people want? A "meh", "okay" Han. Surely this could be done better.

I think you're being a tad harsh, even with the hyperbole, but I also agree with most of your points. Nice post.

Regarding Chewbacca, I really think they would've been better using a MUCH thinner base body and head, since I'm sure the fur suit adds quite a bit of bulk. Mayhew was very skinny, with super gangly arms and legs. I really think the figure would look better with skinnier arms and legs, also. I imagine it would help the figure to look much more like the character.

Yeah to be honest I think I could actually put up with the head on Chewie if the figure as a whole captured his basic proportions a lot better. But right now he just looks way too bulky, which reminds me too much of the awful look he had in ROTS.

I already just said all that concisely in my last two posts Rubio - where's my 'nice post' response? :lol

That infernal Difabio stealing my thunder. :gah:

Lanky for Chewbacca would be better no doubt, but I don't mind the body. It's just that ****ing face. The mouth, beady eyes, it's just so weird looking. It gives me Holiday Special wookie vibes.

I already just said all that concisely in my last two posts Rubio - where's my 'nice post' response? :lol

That infernal Difabio stealing my thunder. :gah:

I'd have to take you off of 'ignore' first :rotfl

Kidding. I generally gravitate towards longer posts before the shorter ones. Too many 'it looks more like (insert actor's name) than (insert character's name).'

Those posts are exhausting. And never funny. Ain't nobody got time for that.

So forgive me, Vinnie. Nice posts!

Back