Hot Toys MMS 692 + 693 BATMAN (1989) 1/6 scale Batman 2.0

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah this isn’t the equivalent of passing on another rendition of Bale, this is the first of its kind in almost thirteen years. Those waiting on InArt to make it will be waiting a long time, they’re one character into TDK, 89 isn’t a priority to them if TDK isn’t.
Right. But I'm not waiting half a decade or more for their version. Inart is barely on my radar regardless of the liscences they have or plan to aquire.

They simply aren't making **** I care about and the things they plan on making are so far out that they're essentially irrelevant to me.

It’s certainly not entirely rubber, wetsuit might not be the correct terminology but it’s definitely a spandex of some sort, you can see the fabric wrinkles on his arm.

IMG_3351.jpeg

IMG_3350.jpeg

... it’s definitely a spandex of some sort, you can see the fabric wrinkles on his arm.

View attachment 718971
I think the breaks between latex/rubber to spandex would be to jarring, and look weird.
Still convinced the undersuit (what little there was of it) was a thin latex/rubber, not cloth/spandex.
Wasn't the "undertsuit" (what little there was of one) a thin latex/rubber too, and all connected/glued?

Not sure how close HT or anyone can come to replicating that, before it gets to thin fragile, but maybe two separate latex/rubber materials would work, just not cloth/spandex.

Last edited:
Yeah I would hate to lose all of that beautiful texture, glossy bat symbol, and the best rolling eyes HT has ever done just because of lower face plates and slight creasing on the cowl underneath the eye holes. I don’t know, but the only way to make that Unreal sculpt blow the HT out of the water would be if someone as talented as Yelim were to paint it, right now, it looks custom.

View attachment 718943
When these figures are on the shelf under a light you can barely even see the eyes. You are posting macro closeups of his irises, thats not a reflection of reality, you can never see that kind of detail. What you can see is the correct shape of the cowl and mouth plate. Which unreal is beating the hot toys at in my opinion

When these figures are on the shelf under a light you can barely even see the eyes. You are posting macro closeups of his irises, thats not a reflection of reality, you can never see that kind of detail. What you can see is the correct shape of the cowl and mouth plate. Which unreal is beating the hot toys at in my opinion
The Unreal is completely wasted with lack luster paint. No way in 7 Hell's I'm buying it in that shape.

All things must come together, sculpt, paint, texture. If even one of those things are off, it's a miss in my eyes.

At this point, I'm pretty much convinced there will never be a definitive version of this Bat's at this scale.

One of the suits the prop store acquired has a matte bat symbol, while in the film it was clearly glossy.

IMG_3353.jpeg

IMG_3354.jpeg

IMG_3356.jpeg

Last edited:
Beating and accurate are different things. I don’t want to sacrifice quality detailed rolling eyes when HT finally nails them for a sculpt that’s not 100% accurate either. The Unreal cowl is off, eye holes are off, mouth plate isn’t seamless and isn’t as close as the DX09 was to Keaton. As I said, you get a real painter on that sculpt, then it can compete.

I was looking forward to this. I had the DX9 but sold it because I just hated the backplate. But the mouthplate was more accurate. The new one, yes it is Keaton, but it is a worse likeness than the DX9. The mouth seems smaller.

Aslo, the suit is too thick. Needs to be slimmer.

It does look better because of the updated paint and other things like cape and no back plate on the head, but I will just cancel my preorder and wait for something better. Believe it or not, even though the Mezco can't be posed without fear, overall, they captured the main features of the figure that it looks very accurate. We can argue cape and all the other crap, but simple standing there, it is exellent. And Mezco does not have a good record with actor likenesses.

That is why this newer figure by Hot Toys, even though in some areas is better than the older one, it still disappoints me.

Hard part with this cowl is the same issue with the Begins cowl. The actor's head movements and placement in any given shot can distort the shape enough that two shots can look dissimilar. Unreal's head is an early proto with test paint. The Patbat head from him was shown last December and only recently is able to be ordered. I would look at his 89 sculpt as a step in the right direction, but obv still a WIP

Believe it or not, even though the Mezco can't be posed without fear, overall, they captured the main features of the figure that it looks very accurate. We can argue cape and all the other crap, but simple standing there, it is exellent. And Mezco does not have a good record with actor likenesses.

That is why this newer figure by Hot Toys, even though in some areas is better than the older one, it still disappoints me.

Yep. Said this a couple days ago and was laughed at but, the Mezco figure (in my eyes) is the only Keaton Bats that ever came remotely close to capturing Keaton's likeness.

DX09 had a likeness, but it was clownishly off, as well. 2.0 barely has Keaton in it.

So the suit was foam latex instead of rubber, which deteriorates quickly when exposed to sunlight. Still not sure what the underlying body suit was made of, could be latex, but the whole purpose of the underlying suit was to not have thick latex armor in areas where Keaton needed to move, a latex body suit seems counterproductive.

I do wonder just how much of the film was actually using Keaton. He had a body double for stunts. I'd assume it was used for even fight scenes. Keaton basically just stood there, looking badass.

I think he actually was used in a stunt with Vickie tho.

So the suit was foam latex instead of rubber, which deteriorates quickly when exposed to sunlight. Still not sure what the underlying body suit was made of, could be latex, but the whole purpose of the underlying suit was to not have thick latex armor in areas where Keaton needed to move, a latex body suit seems counterproductive.

The fact that this looks like the undersuit has rotted away says that it wasn't fabric. Maybe there were multiple suits made of different materials for different roles though.

The fact that this looks like the undersuit has rotted away says that it wasn't fabric. Maybe there were multiple suits made of different materials for different roles though.
There were multiple suits. Go to the Propstore website, search for Batman 1989 and you'll see them.
Also the fight scene with the sword-holding guy used a stuntman for sure (face looks different).

Back