1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This set only works for me personally because I already have several Sideshow Jawas. I would be way more irked with the price if I was faced with buying multiples of this set. As it is I'm getting one set, and one Jawa from HT will have to do. They probably could have sold me two had they priced this as nicely as say the ROTJ Stormtrooper regular version.

Nearly $300 for this set is a little steep. For one jawa and one small droid? With this priced like this, one is left to wonder if HT does ever tackle General Grievous, he'll probably end up being $800 or more. Disney must be turning the screws with the licensing agreement and taking a bigger cut.

I love the idea of getting a Gonk, but I gotta think this one over.

I havent pre-ordered anything new from SW coming out this year: Maul Solo, Leia-Wicket set, and now this.

Still hold off for Padme, 212th Clones, Jango, Fisto and then I'll make necessary assessment for these toys :)).

Dunno. I kinda want these to fail because of the ridiculous prices to send a message to HT, but I don?t want to risk them pulling out of SW before Bespin Han and Lando.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can only vote on these things with your wallet, but this will sell out and HT will laugh all the way to the bank. I'm pretty torn on the entire thing. I love and want things like this, I have since I was a little kid, but the cost is absolutely ridiculous.

Dunno. I kinda want these to fail because of the ridiculous prices to send a message to HT, but I don?t want to risk them pulling out of SW before Bespin Han and Lando.

Yeah but theres the rub. Hot Toys will learn the wrong lesson and think that people didnt order because there is low interest in aliens/droids, when really we all just think it is flat-out overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's be honest if SSC tapped the alien's well again they'd be $250 easy. That's just how it is now.

That's the crazy thing; they might want $200+ and I'd buy zero of those, but if they were $100-125 I'd buy a half dozen. They have to realize the middle point.

View attachment 466552

$400 AUD for this? I don't know...

HT can't be making 2.0's forever. They'll dive into aliens eventually.

Seeing the whole package makes it look even less enticing.

At the new price points its pretty clear that Grievous is out of the question for HT to tackle at this time.

Grievous would be $350+ with diecast I bet.

Timewalker has them for $258 and even if I add something for free shipping I still think it's a bit much. I'm just gonna gamble and see what happens at release.

I dont think the word "gamble" is appropriately used in this context. Basically it is obivously you're not going to "win" anything from this gambling by purchasing this set with that retail price tag, even at $258, is just way too prohibitively expansive.

A Dutch online shop I like to use from time to time had the SS Jawas on offer for 149 Euros for quite a long time, and they were still in stock a few days ago. Now they are suddenly sold out. Funny how that works...

Sadly I think these are the prices we need to expect for third tier characters from HT. The production numbers will be minimal compared to a Vader or Luke - so production cost is high per unit.

I think you could be right here. HT obviously knows they are up against the SS Jawas which have been on the market for years now so most collectors will have them. So HT expect low volume and adjust the price accordingly.

But then the question is why would they even release Jawas ? Is it simply HT showing SS the middle finger ?

I'd like to think that HT is going into this knowing volumes won't be high so won't be necessarily turned off doing aliens etc if there aren't huge volumes.

It's just a strange one.

Yeah but theres the rub. Hot Toys will learn the wrong lesson and think that people didnt order because there is low interest in aliens/droids, when really we all just think it is flat-out overpriced.

Good point. I think you may be right. Aargh! The shine?s coming off the collecting apple for me.[emoji52]

I think you could be right here. HT obviously knows they are up against the SS Jawas which have been on the market for years now so most collectors will have them. So HT expect low volume and adjust the price accordingly.

But then the question is why would they even release Jawas ? Is it simply HT showing SS the middle finger ?

I'd like to think that HT is going into this knowing volumes won't be high so won't be necessarily turned off doing aliens etc if there aren't huge volumes.

It's just a strange one.

It is an odd release considering the Sideshow Jawas and also that Hot Toys previously prototyped two different Gonk Droids before settling on this version and lumping the two together.

In a fit of rage Howard must have demanded his underlings to make him some Jawas that don't fall over and flop around all over the place.

A Gonk does show up on the Mandalorian on the extended footage they showed earlier in the year. When he goes to see the Werner Herzog character. The Gonk walks down the hallway with him.

That Gonk is very plain grey in colour. Similar to this one.

Maybe that's why they decided on this paint scheme ?

Prices in this hobby are getting quickly out of hand, faster than anywhere else.

There?s the problem. Look what happened with Solo. One poor performer and it led to a load of cancelled movies.

The price is a bit steep but I?ll be supporting this release. If it does poorly we can kiss background characters goodbye, and I really want some OT HT aliens.

That made me think of how people think the R5 might come with the other Jawa. An R5 droid is really close to R2, without all the gadgets. A HT R5 alone would be almost $200, so if they did an R5+Jawa set it'd be over $300 I bet.

How is the Hasbro Jawa? I'd seen it on eBay when I was searching for the Sideshow ones, for $25 might be worth checking out, the outfit looked crappy but what I expect.

I thought it might be tariffs, but people said the HK price was the same as Pennywise, so it's as pricey there as it is here with no tariffs.

To be honest he?s pretty crappy. But he was like ten pounds. I changed the belt to a ww2 one I found for a couple of quid and used an old rifle.
The ssc or ht ones would definitely be an upgrade and I?ve buckled on ordered from kghobby.

I want a gonk and will probably spring for the r4 if it?s ever released but it?s the wrong colours.
Ht have no competition now so lube up and beg for scraps after marvel and iron man are fed. F06585EA-BA4F-468A-A955-1EEE754A1EEB.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.5 KB
I have one of the Hasbro Jawas holding a fern branch behind Jabba. Crowded in the background like that, with subdued lighting, it works for me. And I have the two SS ones on the floor in front.

Back