1/6 Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow always charges full MSRP from their site, this isn?t a price hike on their part, and they offer reward points as an incentive. They give other vendors a discount (as a distributor), and those retailers are allowed to go a certain designated dollar amount below MSRP. This has always been the case, and it?s one of the reasons I rarely order from SS; I would rather get the discount up front, rather than wait for ?reward? points I can only use at their website where they make up any difference in reward points by price gouging on shipping. I can get a discount up front and free shipping from Timewalker if I?m willing to wait and have my items bundled at a $350 dollar value ? and in this hobby, that doesn?t take much.

I would add that Sideshow sets the retail price in North America, in other words their markup. The percentage they mark it up relative to the Hong Kong price seems to vary from figure to figure which definitely could be perceived as gouging. It's also well known here that they charge way more for shipping than it actually costs them. As the Hot Toys sole distributor they also get everything first and with the recent issue of split shipments they really have Hot Toys sales rigged in their favor.

For me personally the extra wait is a deal breaker as I'm just not going to wait a month or six longer to get something I already waited for over a year.

I really like that yellow one with the hose.

Yeah, I have one of these guys still to paint and assemble. Haven't decided on the colour yet, but a worn yellow like that could be a nice change I think. Grey is pretty boring.

Maybe I'll do him with grey underneath, showing someone also got bored of grey and decided to liven him up. You'll be able to see the grey through the worn sections.

Lol did you even realize that SS is a sole distrubutor of Hot Toys dolls in North America?

As a distributor you will absolutely have to oblige to buy huge stocks from the manufacturer. Whether SS still have bunch of old Jawas rotten in their warehouses or whichever definitely doesnt have anything to do with their business with Hot Toys ones.

Lol, Yes I'm well aware of SS being the US distributor.

However clearly you have no idea how the system works.

Hot Toys don't sit down and say OK i think we'll make 50,000 Jawas, "that sounds about right". And therefore SS are "obliged" to take 30,000 of them. It doesn't work like that. In fact the total opposite.

Pre-orders are taken from all their global distributors (coming from customers) and then those orders are sent through to Hot Toys to make a grand total. Plus of course some additional for spares, etc. Distributors may order extra for themselves at their own risk if they think it will be a good seller (ala Star Wars Ep 7).

So by increasing the price at pre-order, SS could surely influence the number of pre-orders coming from the USA.

In any case the cost increase is relatively normal compared to Asian suppliers. So this is not to blame here. However this is how the system works and SS could influence things if they wanted to unless there is something in their contract regarding pricing.

I didn't check the Secret Base FB page but I recall someone said in HK that this is the same price as Pennywise at Secret Base. Hence, it's the same at SS. It's not SS marking it up extra in this case. I honestly don't see why it is so expensive. The only reason I can think of is that HT expect a low preorder number and needs to up the price to meet the target margin of the run. If it meets their target, they'll continue the "Tatooine line"

I still think they should have both Jawas and GONK for that price.

Well, if you do pull the trigger on this release, you'd be a member of an exclusive club. Seems like an odd figure choice to start the high-price HT club with, but I guess t does give the figures some allure because HT won't make many. It's like HT's version of the Gentle Giant Premier Guild exclusive thing.

Well, if you do pull the trigger on this release, you'd be a member of an exclusive club. Seems like an odd figure choice to start the high-price HT club with, but I guess t does give the figures some allure because HT won't make many. It's like HT's version of the Gentle Giant Premier Guild exclusive thing.

Back to Kenner roots with the vinyl cape a surprise throw in at the end. Hot Toys/Sideshow aren't greedy, they are sentimental:monkey3

Preordered them from senmairu which is in Malaysia! Instead of paying $460 AUD i paid $360!!!! And will be recieving them so much earlier. Hell yeah!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

The color of the robes are way off unfortunately. SSC is much closer... wonder if HT would change the color in production?
...honestly, I?m trying to find ways to convince myself that the HT version is worth it - but it?s really hard.
fb8f82f1730c0ff6d48834195177f939.jpg

d9a7fa3d4f28fe507cc22751a60569fe.jpg

Preordered them from senmairu which is in Malaysia! Instead of paying $460 AUD i paid $360!!!! And will be recieving them so much earlier. Hell yeah!

Shipping is only $25-30?

The color of the robes are way off unfortunately. SSC is much closer... wonder if HT would change the color in production?
...honestly, I?m trying to find ways to convince myself that the HT version is worth it - but it?s really hard.
fb8f82f1730c0ff6d48834195177f939.jpg

d9a7fa3d4f28fe507cc22751a60569fe.jpg

It's hard to say what the color is exactly - ref pics vary between the color of both the HT and the SSC. I do like that the HT appears close to the old Kenner plastic cape Jawa in color.

Keep in mind also brown is a bit like green in that it's super dependent on lighting conditions, so the in-hand color of the HT Jawa might be a bit different to how it appears in the pics.

Hot Toys MMS Jawas & Power droid

Shipping is only $25-30?

It's hard to say what the color is exactly - ref pics vary between the color of both the HT and the SSC. I do like that the HT appears close to the old Kenner plastic cape Jawa in color.

Keep in mind also brown is a bit like green in that it's super dependent on lighting conditions, so the in-hand color of the HT Jawa might be a bit different to how it appears in the pics.

True. I guess it will be nice to have variation in the jawa collection.
...As most of us had the Kenner cloth Jawas and not the plastic ones I believe that the darker ones are most iconic [emoji6]

We're all Hot Toys beeeatchs in the end :lol

:lol

I'm expecting the HT to be better, but it's nice to have variety. Until now I've only had the 1997 Kenner Jawa, who's standing behind Jabba holding a leaf fan.

I ordered the Sideshow pair from Kapow yesterday and they upgraded it to 24 hour delivery for no extra charge for some reason, so I have them in hand now.

Joints are pretty tight and they stand on their foot stud bases. The little one even stands without it, but the taller one wouldn't - as though his feet weren't flat enough.

I think where the HT will gain is with the robe material as on the Sideshow it feels a little too soft.

Some of the leather work looks like actual suede as it has a natural backing, which I wasn't expecting.

:lol

I'm expecting the HT to be better, but it's nice to have variety. Until now I've only had the 1997 Kenner Jawa, who's standing behind Jabba holding a leaf fan.

I ordered the Sideshow pair from Kapow yesterday and they upgraded it to 24 hour delivery for no extra charge for some reason, so I have them in hand now.

Joints are pretty tight and they stand on their foot stud bases. The little one even stands without it, but the taller one wouldn't - as though his feet weren't flat enough.

I think where the HT will gain is with the robe material as on the Sideshow it feels a little too soft.

Some of the leather work looks like actual suede as it has a natural backing, which I wasn't expecting.

Ah OK you did also get the SS version nice. Was a bit perplexed you found the cheap SS price but went for the HT ??

Ah OK you did also get the SS version nice. Was a bit perplexed you found the cheap SS price but went for the HT ??

Looks like I missed a sentence out in the original post. I know I was in a hurry to complete it as I was being called away.

The Kapow price was just cheap enough to convince me the Sideshow pair were worthwhile. The HT comes with the Power Droid so I begrudgingly ordered that set too.

Due to their height Jawas make great foreground characters, so the more the merrier!

And on height, I realise now how short the 1997 Kenner Jawa is. He's just a youngster! But that's okay as it adds a bit more variety.

Shipping is only $25-30?

Shipping to Australia was only $37! So frigin excited!

Back