Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: TIE Pilot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually kind of reminds me of a halo jumper...minus the parachute.

Exactly this. I love the way the costume/figure looks, but he doesn't look like a pilot of an enclosed craft. Put him on a speeder bike, jumping out of an airship, even on a skateboard and he looks more the part.

Yes I definitely think it's a visor. The metal pins are there as an end stop. Just disappointed that it doesn't move down. They surely would have shown photos if it does move down. Maybe I'll write Hot Toys an email. Sometimes you get lucky with a response.

P.S why isn't the pic shown from the quoted text from Captcox ??

Hmm if it is a Visor and its not movable its a petty...another small detail, look at the small latches located next to the eye lenses.

View attachment 214066
Looks like they should attach to something like a lock mechanism for a VISOR!!!! :lecture :rotfl

Yes I definitely think it's a visor. The metal pins are there as an end stop. Just disappointed that it doesn't move down. They surely would have shown photos if it does move down. Maybe I'll write Hot Toys an email. Sometimes you get lucky with a response.

P.S why isn't the pic shown from the quoted text from Captcox ??

Like someone said before, this helmet style does exist. That thing doesnt move on the real helmet either.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Would anyone honestly pose their figure with the blast shield down? I doubt it.
It would be an instance of "oh wow, it moves. Cool." Then back on top of the head.

It seems like an odd thing to copy so directly.

They did the same thing for the OT, though mostly because they didn't have as many resources as they do today. It could be because JJ Abrams is trying to capture the feel of the original trilogy and this is just another nod to that. Practical effects, real world equipment modified, etc.

They did the same thing for the OT,

You mean it terms of using WWII guns? Yes, that's true... but at least they looked pretty. That odd piece is just a strange tech. Almost would have preferred another asymmetrical nub that serves as a comm antennae or something.

But anyway, no biggy. It's oddity does add an interesting element to the helmet.

Edit: This was meant in reply to Pixel. Sorry, hit the wrong button.

Maybe, but then again it's just another part that might fall off or break, considering Hot Toys quality control record.

This is like the firearms they produce. It's really cool to have a working slide and clip but after the first try, I never think about it again. Cool but unnecessary.

I don't mind the large helmet on the OT pilot. Lots of room in there for HUD, life-support etc. The only thing I don't like are the motorcycle boots, but that's a product of its time and brief appearance.

The TFA pilot has the same style boot as a nod to the old design, but they look out of place on the modern flight suit.

As for the rest of it...I think it has too much armour for a pilot. It otherwise looks Star Wars-y enough, albeit with some very contemporary stylings and a look vaguely reminiscent of some kind of Cobra trooper.

If I had to choose...OT. This one's not bad at all, but I wouldn't call it better.

I was going to get Kylo... But I'll wait for the movie. For now, I'm getting Captain Phasma and this guy, since I think they have the best designs of TFA (wasnt waiting for this guy to be so awesome and better than anything lol). They'll be my only TFA figures. Well, hope that I dont like Supreme Leader Snooke lol.

The rule that I'm trying to stick with is no more than two of each army builder figure. I can't see ordering more than one TIE pilot though. Even with one it seems fairly out of place to me, not having a ship to pilot.

I actually prefer the light armored look. They're soldiers first, pilots second, so it makes sense for them to have some degree of body armor. I mean why have a blaster if they're only meant to pilot a fighter craft? I can think of a few hypothetical scenarios where a pilot might need the armor and blaster - an assault on their base where they need to fight to get to their TIE, crash landing behind enemy lines or even a mission that requires landing and getting out to complete some sort of tactical objective. In other words, the way this new TIE pilot is outfitted makes sense to me.

I think what made the OT Tie Pilot's helmet look so large is the lack of any armor on the body. If they had even upper body armor like regular Stormies, the helmets would look perfectly normal.

I actually prefer the light armored look. They're soldiers first, pilots second, so it makes sense for them to have some degree of body armor. I mean why have a blaster if they're only meant to pilot a fighter craft? I can think of a few hypothetical scenarios where a pilot might need the armor and blaster - an assault on their base where they need to fight to get to their TIE, crash landing behind enemy lines or even a mission that requires landing and getting out to complete some sort of tactical objective. In other words, the way this new TIE pilot is outfitted makes sense to me.

I think what made the OT Tie Pilot's helmet look so large is the lack of any armor on the body. If they had even upper body armor like regular Stormies, the helmets would look perfectly normal.
Pilots carry weapons in case they have to put the aircraft down in enemy territory, not because they have to fight to get to their ship ( real world scenario, pilot first, foot soldier as the last option )......OT tie pilots do have upper body armour
OT helmets where not oversized, helmets are big as they have to fit over heads and have padding.
The only additional size is the ear pieces and the Mohawk
the rest was based on real military helmets

I really am loving this figure more and more. I think I might get two and then one Special Forces version if it is made.

Back