Hot Toys: - MMS156 - Captain America The First Avenger Official Specs and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was referring to the IM 2 batch though, but I did forget about War Machine.

I got ya. Yeah, then War Machine is the only one you forgot for the regular releases. The secret project figure comes with the same stuff as the Mark IV of course so you could count that in figures with a second sculpt.

Well. . .Spiderman didn't have two heads. Thor didn't have 2 heads, either. Nor did Odin. Or Wolverine, or Blade.

Agreed. "Two-heads" are rare!

two-headed-snake-08.jpg

060317_two_headed_big.jpg

Two-Headed-Bird-22582.jpg

:horror

I don't know why anyone would want a lower production number. That just increases the chances that fans would not be able to get a copy of their wanted figures.
The reason those scalpers bought up massive amounts of the predator and batman exclusives in the asian cons is to dry up the market and corner it. They know there is a massive demand on these figures. Control the market and they control the prices.

Let HT produce enough to satisfy their followers. The higher the number, better for me as a fan of their products. I'm not the type of collector that gets tied up in getting 6 out of 1000 - that's meaningless to me.

Thing is large ES are not good for collectors either. Anyone who's seen both ways the market has been over the last 10 years or so knows this. Moderate ES on any high end item is the only way to go period.

I absolutely cannot wait for this figure.

I hope HT will make a Captain America version of when he is going around spreading propaganda about the war!

SO do any of you optimistically think that this ES is 2-3000?

We don't know how many figures will be produced. In fact, we'll never know. But, one thing that you can be certain about, is that upon release, there are usually less than one-hundered of each Hot Toys figure floating around on Ebay.

That shows that the majority of collectors are interested in keeping their figures instead of selling them. But, the value of Hot Toys figures tends to increase over time on the secondary market (even the ones with large edition numbers), so you won't have a problem selling them for a profit if you decide to flip them later on.

Thing is large ES are not good for collectors either. Anyone who's seen both ways the market has been over the last 10 years or so knows this. Moderate ES on any high end item is the only way to go period.

Why would a larger ES be bad? Quality suffers? Flooded market? Lower value in the long term? (seriously asking)

I guess I perceive the 1:6 collectible market as a little different than the statue/bust collectible market. I can see the downside with a high ES on statues because of "collectability" and long term value.

I would selfishly love for HT to make thousands more of each figure, so at the very least their 1:6 prices would go down per unit, and would stay at their MSRP for a good amount of time before eventually creeping up in the aftermarket. As opposed to prices shooting into the stratosphere as soon as the figure is released. I'm not talking crazy numbers for the ES, just enough to level off and meet actual demand.

I know Sideshow made way too many of their SW figures when they started out, resulting in being able to get figures like Bespin Han or Boushh Leia for pennies in the aftermarket. But partially to blame is the lower quality in those figures. HT is already ahead of the game in that respect, meaning that I don't think their value would drop because of the amounts available in the aftermarket. They would still be awesome figures, just more available.

I mean, look at all the HT Wolverine bootlegs that are selling for $250+! Bootlegs are selling for more than the original was sold at!

Why would a larger ES be bad? Quality suffers? Flooded market? Lower value in the long term? (seriously asking)
I think it is related to value and flooded markets. Reason being that many collectors of fancy, high end collectibles want things that aren't gonna be pumped out over and over to meet renewed levels of demand a la Mattel. They like finite edition sizes, and preferably smaller edition sizes so long as they can get them :D (on balance, I agree with theJosh that a middle ground best suits these companies--make it truly limited, but give collectors a genuine chance to pick it up initially).

I don't really collect for that reason, but I can understand it, and it does help to ensure that your figures' values go up, so if you want to flip or just like knowing that your collection could be re-sold for profit if you were down on your luck, then that's good for you.

Hot Toys is getting around this a bit while still appeasing those who missed out by giving us improved versions of existing figures. But with the OC Batman they might be pushing it a bit far for some.

Whether you personally agree with that perspective or not, it seems to clearly be part of the attraction of Sideshow statues and, to a lesser extent, Hot Toys figures. And as long as those companies figure that their success from following this orientation outweighs their potential success from following the Matty or Hasbro model, that's probably the way it's gonna keep going for the foreseeable future.

All of them to be honest. The more you make the larger chance you have at QC problems to which no company gets away with. With the flooded market thats a big issue really. If they make too many they can sit around in the warehouse which makes the company unhappy and then leads to people just waiting because they know they can get it cheaper on ebay. All of these the more it happens is bad for a line and for collectors. The best thing for everyone I think are moderate edition sizes that allow items to retail value and cause demand but also allow a fair amount of collectors to get them.

If they make too many they can sit around in the warehouse which makes the company unhappy and then leads to people just waiting because they know they can get it cheaper on ebay.

Good point. Thanks Josh. Unfortunately, this is what happens with Sideshow's figures.

The best thing for everyone I think are moderate edition sizes that allow items to retail value and cause demand but also allow a fair amount of collectors to get them.

Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? :)

Good point. Thanks Josh. Unfortunately, this is what happens with Sideshow's figures.

No problem. It has been though I do think we're turning a corner where people won't be able to do that. I think ES are starting to really moderate out and make sure people think for sure that they want something. The NRD is also helping with this problem as well.

Well, that's the real trick, isn't it? :)

That it is. That it is.

I absolutely cannot wait for this figure.

I hope HT will make a Captain America version of when he is going around spreading propaganda about the war!

Same here. I was kind of on the fence about the whole character, but the movie changed my mind.

That version with the helmet and goggles would be sweet.

Same here. I was kind of on the fence about the whole character, but the movie changed my mind.

That version with the helmet and goggles would be sweet.

that would be pretty nice too, I as well was skeptical about Captain America, but after seeing the movie, and the character of captain america, I was glad to know I pre-ordered him:joy

Back