Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think the industry as a whole needs to move away from rubber. In a world of increasing costs, cutting corners, especially on rubber, is resulting in QC issues left and right.

None of us like ugly joints. What are the alternatives to silicone and rubber? A cloth suit with plastic panels wouldn't have looked right on Batman.

None of us like ugly joints. What are the alternatives to silicone and rubber? A cloth suit with plastic panels wouldn't have looked right on Batman.

Don't know what the alternatives could be, but after seeing the comedian thread, and my own experience with TDK, I'd think twice about buying a full rubber suited body again especially with the lousy CS at HT.

The alternative is easy. Dont buy theyre crappy product, at least the ones that might have rubber issues... i mean, im sorry but its true..no matter how good it looks, in the end its a crap product. I know they read the boards so i hope they read this. There is absolutley no excuse for producing a $150+ collectible figure that has a shelf life of 3-5 years. And to the ht fans, please,dont be apologists for them! If ht sees youll take it on the chin 1-3 times because you' d rather have a crappy oily, cracking figure than non at at, they will NEVER Fix theyre qc issues..

Last edited:

Don't lump me in with that close-minded crap! :mad: I'm perfectly content with joints on action figures. :nana::lol

I think if they find ways to sculpt it into the bodies and use PVC in place of rubber, like they did with Bruce, Barney, etc., that's a nice middle ground given the joints are hidden and we don't have to worry about rotting issues.

It'd be cool if they'd release muscle bodies with the improvements that we've seen like the pvc bodies and jointed arms on muscle bodies with figures like Barney Ross, Bruce Lee, etc. I'd like to transfer figures like Dutch and Chris Redfield to new bodies if they start to fall apart in the future.

I was just thnking, what if you used a little Armour All on the rubber parts every now and then? I was just also thinking about the leaking TDK figure, what if that leaking oil was something used to keep the rubber from cracking, I don't know.

Anyway, by the time your bodies start cracking (if you've taken good care of them) there might be something hopefully better.

I hate joints they look horrible. But I hate leaks even more. Hot Toys just has to find a better solution because I want my cake and I want to eat it too and for what they charge me I deserve seconds dammit.

@ Raven... use Armour-All at your peril.

Keep in dust free environ., limited handling, do not expose to any light...refrigerate if possible, uhm don't stare at for too long...

what the hell is it exactly that we're purchasing? expensive toys meant for futzing and posing.

Correction: Thenam likes joints. :monkey3

Let's put it this way. I don't smoke now, but I wouldn't be able to be president. :wink1:

@ Raven... use Armour-All at your peril.

Keep in dust free environ., limited handling, do not expose to any light...refrigerate if possible, uhm don't stare at for too long...

what the hell is it exactly that we're purchasing? expensive toys meant for futzing and posing.

:lol There was just some dude yesterday in the Comedian thread claiming Armor All was the fix-all, cure-all for the newly discovered leaking issue with Comedian. :lol:rotfl:lol

:lol There was just some dude yesterday in the Comedian thread claiming Armor All was the fix-all, cure-all for the newly discovered leaking issue with Comedian. :lol:rotfl:lol[/QUOTE]

Why not just use regular 5W30 and call it a day :lol

Armor All....
that shat is the culprit for breaking dashboards and cracking tires. i wont use that on ANY high end action figure.

So out of all the figures made from HT it seems the only problem they have had are MAINLY on the TDK figure and the Comedian figure? Not bad if you ask me from a company that makes toys. I agree though with some posters that in a day and age of the internet when one person has a problem either with a service or a product it get's blown out of proportion and is extremely over quantified.

So out of all the figures made from HT it seems the only problem they have had are MAINLY on the TDK figure and the Comedian figure? Not bad if you ask me from a company that makes toys. I agree though with some posters that in a day and age of the internet when one person has a problem either with a service or a product it get's blown out of proportion and is extremely over quantified.

uhhhm, what part of rubber decay dont you get?:slap

uhhhm, what part of rubber decay dont you get?:slap

I don't know please explain it to me since it seems like you know the answerer. If you could give me the exact rubber hot toys uses and the half life formula you seem to have for this decay then I sure would appreciate it. Oh please also include environmental factors in that decay to, IE direct or indirect sunlight Sorry I just have not been brought up to speed.

Yeah until then please do not ask me what part of rubber decay I don't understand.

I don't know please explain it to me since it seems like you know the answerer. If you could give me the exact rubber hot toys uses and the half life formula you seem to have for this decay then I sure would appreciate it. Oh please also include environmental factors in that decay to, IE direct or indirect sunlight Sorry I just have not been brought up to speed.

Yeah until then please do not ask me what part of rubber decay I don't understand.

:lol:lol:lol

i guess you havent looked at the other threads or really looked into this at all...also part of the problem would be the CS from HT not wanting to replace defective parts that are cracked/leaking. Factor in that some of their future toys maybe made with sub standard rubber, and those toys will possibly crack is more than enough reason to hope that something will be done to prevent this from happening. Especially since the prices are going to continue to go up on the retail side not to mention on the aftermarket.

Ive also read that the Alien Kane and the Perseus figure have issues also.

Back