Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll never have more then 5-10 collectibles, including figures and statues. I'm not lacking in space rather I only buy what I really like, I never feel the need to buy something and more often than not pass unless its something exceptional, this is how I prefer to collect. And I enjoy going to a friends place who used to collect cars, now he just drives two and got a huge garage worth of space for his pop culture collection, feel no need to crap on his way of collecting though very different from my preference, in fact unless you catch someone collecting peoples fingers in jars probably should not criticize other people how they like to collect things.

I agree about the picking sides nonsense, it’s inevitable HT will make a superior version to IA and vice versa. So then it just comes down to how do they scale together? I’m sure we will see differences in scale on purpose due to companies wanting you to buy their ****, look at Apple, everything they do is to make it where you’re solely dependent on their brand of tech and none of it can be compatible with the competition, that’s business 101. They want us to pick sides, so don’t. Inart did this with the magnets instead of pegs on purpose, not just because of innovation, but to avoid their product ending up on a HT. Gloved hands for example.
I agree with everything here, between the lack of accountability going on, clout chasing, you name it. People can now walk into stores and steal without repercussions if it’s under a grand, unbelievable!

Blindly following brands should never be the prerogative, but people will do it regardless.
It’s been ingrained into us since we were children.

I don’t agree with Danoby? In the slightest on his bias views. If something is made well, it gets my respect, as it should be.

Let’s be clear here about the Artisan Joker since people think I’m defending it, there are things that need work done on it, obviously, that’s what happens when the number of units begin to climb without an artists trained eye overseeing every minute detail and not a small run of say 60 units for a custom, done by a small group of people with the same ideas in mind. This is reflected in price.

It’s going to have flaws, it’s going to take upgrades, it’s going to take a trained eye to make look good, no matter what you buy, no matter who’s selling if it’s made in large quantity. If you (not specifically you) don’t care about the inconsistencies in it, then my thoughts shouldn’t bug you, and only pertain to those that care about making their figures be at their max potential.

The issue I have with Inart is the fact that they had Viper hand painting the sculpts on video to sell product, again under no illusions that he was going to paint and hair Nicks sculpt, my question is why do that? Just show them already painted? HT didn’t do that? They only showed the process of sewing the suit. The Inart prototypes look extremely better than what was delivered, are the figures still perfectly fine for some less picky collectors? Sure, so it doesn’t apply to you. But to others it clearly does, Gary Pool here decided to avoid the IA release in its entirety because his eye saw what mine and others did as well. Is his thoughts inaccurate? No, so don’t dismiss them in the thought that he’s blindly following the opposing company.

Same about my personal opinions on collecting things, it should not bare any weight on you if it doesn’t apply.
I’m not demanding everyone only collect two detolfs of collectibles and that’s it, that’s silly. I’m just saying we need to know our limit and stick by it, when space becomes an issue you need to sell things, not sell your house because you’ve got a growing family and made a poor decision with making a room unusable for a newborn.

I don’t care how well off someone is, having a room filled with collectibles to the point you can’t walk or have to tell your wife & kids they have to pick up shop because you need more space is selfish.

My points of blindly crawling up HT’s a** wasn’t directed at you, just wanna clarify that. I was just chiming in about what bugs ME as a person as well as a collector.

There are certain members here I won’t name that go through life with HTs **** in their mouth…those are the ones I was referring to, along with the YTer you named. Wanting IA to DIE is taking tribalism to the next level. It’s embarrassing. It’s cringe. They need help. They’re one more “this is the next evolution of 1/6” video from strapping a vest lined with grenades and storming into IA’s offices.

I still disagree hard with your stance on IA’s prototype to final as the differences are not as exaggerated as you say they are…so let’s just agree to disagree.

As for showing Viper paint the figure in the video…dude, it’s a behind the scenes video with the sole purpose of getting people interested. Viper being the lead artist, sculptor AND painter, of course that’s something you’re gonna wanna put in the video. It’s like promotional material of a film director looking through the view finder of a 70mm camera…he’s not ACTUALLY operating the camera or framing the shot. That’s the DP’s job. The director’s supposed to be next to the camera or sitting in video village yelling “action! Cut!”. But photographing the director behind the camera just looks cooler than sitting in front of a screen.

Would it have made a difference if they showed Viper walking behind factory workers on the assembly line, gesturing and guiding them which area needs more black paint and which area needs more red paint?

He paints it and then trains others to follow his process. Oh they effed up? Ok, work on the next one until I say it’s good.

You said HT didn’t show the painting process in their vid…why should they have to? You got JC hong showing his paint work of joker (and EVERY OTHER SCULPT) on his insta. So what’s the difference between what viper did vs what Hong did?

Ah…there IS a difference.

1 is a video, the other is a static image. I feel this argument you made was just for the sake of arguing. No one in their right mind would EVER consider there was a shot in hell that Viper was going to hand paint HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of figures with a release window within the SAME YEAR IT WENT UP FOR PREORDER😂

legit, you’re the ONLY person that’s complained about a segment in a video where it’s sole purpose was to create hype and promote the idea that the next step in 1/6 figures is around the corner. Cmon man.

I've made myself a few rules to limit myself to only about 12 -14 figures on display at a time, or at all. I only buy one of each character. Luckily for me, i don't care about marvel, dc or star wars or literally anything else they put out besides batman, Spider-Man, terminator and indiana jones. And i aslo don't care about the vast majority of characters in those lines besides the main ones, i ain't gonna have a TDK display anytime soon. I suppose it's good because i can just have a few figures and be happy with it. This is a hobby to me not an obsession, so some of the little things here and there idc about. I love heaths joker but inart is enough for me. I really don't fret about the accuracy of the clothing on most of these characters because they're little dolls they aren't going to be 100% accurate. I also feel like most people who don't share the passion and interest for something like this would think it's weird, I've had many people tell me that.

@Gipetto0812,

@BrooklynWolf X,

You know how dense people can be, how can you recall people blindly following brands and not think there’s people out there that actually thought he would? Did you see my post a good bit of pages back regarding the last rooted Joker Viper did? A lot of collectors were literally pissed that viper didn’t hair the figure, like they thought.
It was very poor on Vipers end, he let utter dogshit get released knowing his name was attached and that people paid $400 usd for it, didn’t apologize, nothing. That’s not right, regardless if you ever intended to root them yourself or not. He let this abomination release for $400 usd after the DX11, no excuse can be made for this I’m sorry.

View attachment 658097

I’m certainly not running into IA with grenades LOL but if I was victim of this bs I probably would. You act like I’m holding this figure above and the IA release in the same light, I’m not. He’s definitely streamlined a lot of the issues since then, but not good enough yet, for me, this is why I wanted them to tackle Ledger Joker in a year or two, not first release, any companies first release is guaranteed to have flaws, this is why I joked pennywise should’ve took the hit instead because who’s buying that?
Yes I know how business works, in order to generate hype you start out swinging with a character highly regarded by the majority, very slippery slope however, as some people won’t give IA a chance after this, not saying I won’t, not saying you won’t. But a lot of people don’t have 1k to throw down and did so because they love this character and figured IA would knock it out of the park, awesome first figure, but it’s no home run, maybe they’ll revisit him, maybe not. We’ll see.

I’m….

Not gonna lie. I’m a bit confused. What does InArts promotional video of Viper painting have anything to do with the abomination you posted?

@Gipetto0812,

I wasn’t meaning a slight by if you’re single and on your own, you’re reading too deeply in that statement.

If you’re single and on your own you can do whatever you want, and most guys do, boxers everywhere, dishes yet to be done, this type of thing. I may not do that and neither may you, but there are people like this, it’s a running joke that us men can’t keep a clean house which I disagree with for me, but I can’t speak for everyone else. A lot of women view us this way, and that’s fine, just show them there’s more to you and that you’re disciplined.

If you have a girlfriend or mom (for those younger) that’s ok with a 1:1 scale Ledger next to their coffee table, more power to you, but in reality most people would think it’s gaudy and look at you like you left the water running before you went on vacation.

You may not feel as such because you enjoy media, and your partner does as well, or loves to see your passion in something, making you happy, but for a lot of people the living room is a no go, bottom line. People can date eachother without liking all of the same things, this is when sacrificing is made, not bowing down to your wife’s say, but being mature enough to see her pov. You don’t have to dump her because she isn’t into SW.

Just because your brothers wife is accepting and is helping her husbands hobby doesn’t make the rule. I hear all the time about people saying their wives are going to kill them when they find out about a purchase, some in lightheartedness, but some very serious. Wives get onto their husbands all of the time for purchases outside of this hobby, be for real here man.

I speak from a general stance, not from a completely personal one in that regard as you do.
I appreciate your response. I'll just leave it at that I don't agree with you on some of your points and some of your scenarios and that's ok. We don't have to. And for the record, I'm not picking on you. I was truly trying to understand your POV as I don't believe you have ill intent in your responses even if they were coming off that way to not only myself, but apparently others as well.

Lastly, I will say that I do appreciate your passion for the finer details as that's something I tend to get into for characters that I truly enjoy as well :duff Not everyone understands that, to call it like it is, obsession with the details or even care at times, even on this board.

I’m….

Not gonna lie. I’m a bit confused. What does InArts promotional video of Viper painting have anything to do with the abomination you posted?
It has everything to do with it, if people were gullible enough to believe it then, they’re gullible enough to believe it now when they see him doing the very thing on this prototype, that they thought they were getting on that release. You must not have paid attention back then, I genuinely mean pissed.

I’m not digging up dirt, I’m simply telling you that people actually believed he was hand painting and hairing this release.
What’s stopping people like that from thinking the same this go around? Would you let this release for $400 usd with your name attached to it as a custom artist who specializes in paint & hair? It’s a bad look, thankfully for Viper the IA release swept the old one under the rug. As an artist your old work should always pale in comparison to your current work, that’s the goal, I don’t see that as me taking a dig at him. He clearly didn’t care enough about the quality of that release to step away from it.
Thankfully, you live and learn.

E0860C48-B27F-4F0F-937C-7717CC8A8AFF.jpeg

Last edited:
It has everything to do with it, if people were gullible enough to believe it then, they’re gullible enough to believe it now when they see him doing the very thing on this prototype, that they thought they were getting on that release. You must not have paid attention back then, I genuinely mean pissed.

I’m not digging up dirt, I’m simply telling you that people actually believed he was hand painting and hairing this release.
What’s stopping people like that from thinking the same this go around?

View attachment 658113

You’re comparing back then, where he was essentially taking commission work…to now, where he has a whole team backing him with funds and resources.

About his commission days, Why haven’t you dug up his Gandalf the white figure? Apparently he did an amazing job with those right? What about Nate Algren from the last samurai? I own one, and good lord is it awesome.

Y’see what you’re doing here? You’re cherry picking or…grasping at straws. You pick the one time he screwed people over and are somehow relating that to NOW…but, relating it to him…painting?? Dude, I’m genuinely trying to connect the dots here man.

I’ve followed the IA joker thread since the beginning. I’ve never seen anyone complain that their copy of the figure wasn’t hand painted by “on the run from authorities” viper. And if there were those handful of complaints…ITS DEFINITELY FROM THE HT BOOTLICKERS that were complaining since the reveal and have it in for IA because IA beat their lord and savior to the punch with a fantastic joker.

And you can just tell who was genuine with their issues and who were doing it due to copium. It’s not hard to dectect.

@Gipetto0812,

I wasn’t meaning a slight by if you’re single and on your own, you’re reading too deeply in that statement.

If you’re single and on your own you can do whatever you want, and most guys do, boxers everywhere, dishes yet to be done, this type of thing. I may not do that and neither may you, but there are people like this, it’s a running joke that us men can’t keep a clean house which I disagree with for me, but I can’t speak for everyone else. A lot of women view us this way, and that’s fine, just show them there’s more to you and that you’re disciplined.

If you have a girlfriend or mom (for those younger) that’s ok with a 1:1 scale Ledger next to their coffee table, more power to you, but in reality most people would think it’s gaudy and look at you like you left the water running before you went on vacation.

You may not feel as such because you enjoy media, and your partner does as well, or loves to see your passion in something, making you happy, but for a lot of people the living room is a no go, bottom line. People can date eachother without liking all of the same things, this is when sacrificing is made, not bowing down to your wife’s say, but being mature enough to see her pov. You don’t have to dump her because she isn’t into SW.

Just because your brothers wife is accepting and is helping her husbands hobby doesn’t make the rule. I hear all the time about people saying their wives are going to kill them when they find out about a purchase, some in lightheartedness, but some very serious. Wives get onto their husbands all of the time for purchases outside of this hobby, be for real here man.

I speak from a general stance, not from a completely personal one in that regard as you do.

@BrooklynWolf X,

You know how dense people can be, how can you recall people blindly following brands and not think there’s people out there that actually thought he would? Did you see my post a good bit of pages back regarding the last rooted Joker Viper did? A lot of collectors were literally pissed that viper didn’t hair the figure, like they thought.
It was very poor on Vipers end, he let utter dogshit get released knowing his name was attached and that people paid $400 usd for it, didn’t apologize, nothing. That’s not right, regardless if you ever intended to root them yourself or not. He let this abomination release for $400 usd after the DX11, no excuse can be made for this I’m sorry.

View attachment 658097

I’m certainly not running into IA with grenades LOL but if I was victim of this bs I probably would. You act like I’m holding this figure above and the IA release in the same light, I’m not. He’s definitely streamlined a lot of the issues since then, but not good enough yet, for me, this is why I wanted them to tackle Ledger Joker in a year or two, not first release, any companies first release is guaranteed to have flaws, this is why I joked pennywise should’ve took the hit instead because who’s buying that?
Yes I know how business works, in order to generate hype you start out swinging with a character highly regarded by the majority, very slippery slope however, as some people won’t give IA a chance after this, not saying I won’t, not saying you won’t. But a lot of people don’t have 1k to throw down and did so because they love this character and figured IA would knock it out of the park, awesome first figure, but it’s no home run, maybe they’ll revisit him, maybe not. We’ll see.
62016F0F-9E54-48E3-A994-A07B65328ACF.gif

Also, the InArt release is quality. I had no idea what Queen Studio is or what a Viper was, just that a new Joker figure was coming. I didn’t really have faith in them, but they pulled it off. I got the sculpted and rooted. Had a great time opening the set and putting them together. I think they did a great job on their for 1:6 figure and I look forward to seeing what else they do in the future.

69517DD3-8367-4D32-9936-FA4BC523C536.jpeg

Ah I remember that scene from Burton's Wonka, "I feel terrible so my candy is terrible, you're very good." :lol (Or something like that lol )
yup! you pretty much got it exactly right
Replace candy with movie and it's about right, that movie SUCKS.
eh, I like it. But I also love Burton and Depp so :dunno :lol I tend to fall asleep a lot on the original, where as the Burton one, if it's on tv, I'll sit and watch the rest of the way through.

Last edited:
You're not wrong at all here to be fair. Ppl were under the same assumption that Viper was going to root and hand paint all the Queen Studios Artist Edition 1/4 TDK Joker statues as well only to find out later that it was Viper's team that did the rooting and painting. The mark up on that one didn't seem as justified after that information was officially revealed. And that's a much more recent release than that previous 1/6 Joker you've mentioned. So, yes, it is quite possible that some folks believe Viper would be out here sitting at his desk painting and hairing all these figures.

yup! you pretty much got it exactly right

eh, I like it. But I also love Burton and Depp so :dunno :lol I tend to fall asleep a lot on the original, where as the Burton one, if it's on tv, I'll sit and watch the rest of the way through.
I love burton, despise depp. And i just hated it as a kid since i thought it was weird and i didn't like it. Am i biased? Yes. Do i care? No.

[...] I'm sure they can fit one life-size Joker in their living room.

Come to think of it, the only character I'd want to have in life-size scale is - Captain Marvel! :D

I want a life-sized CM statue!!! But at that point I'd want Brie Larson in real life (in costume of course!) in my living room!! 😁

(Okay maybe that didn't come out right :rotfl)

:chase

Last edited:
I love burton, despise depp. And i just hated it as a kid since i thought it was weird and i didn't like it. Am i biased? Yes. Do i care? No.
Hey, we like what we like, right? I love Depp in most of his roles whether he is the lead or supporting and own just about all his movies, so what someone else thinks won’t change my mind :lol I understand why some don’t though. There are plenty of actors/characters ppl have spent thousands of dollars making custom figure after custom figure (not talking about Ledger Joker either), and I just wonder what was so great about that character that there are this many customs being made. I’m like that with movies as well and usually go against the grain at what the majority think is great where I’ll probably consider it a snooze-fest, downright awful and/or a waste of my time and money.

I agree with everything here, between the lack of accountability going on, clout chasing, you name it. People can now walk into stores and steal without repercussions if it’s under a grand, unbelievable!

Blindly following brands should never be the prerogative, but people will do it regardless.
It’s been ingrained into us since we were children.

I don’t agree with Danoby? In the slightest on his bias views. If something is made well, it gets my respect, as it should be.

Let’s be clear here about the Artisan Joker since people think I’m defending it, there are things that need work done on it, obviously, that’s what happens when the number of units begin to climb without an artists trained eye overseeing every minute detail and not a small run of say 60 units for a custom, done by a small group of people with the same ideas in mind. This is reflected in price.

It’s going to have flaws, it’s going to take upgrades, it’s going to take a trained eye to make look good, no matter what you buy, no matter who’s selling if it’s made in large quantity. If you (not specifically you) don’t care about the inconsistencies in it, then my thoughts shouldn’t bug you, and only pertain to those that care about making their figures be at their max potential.

The issue I have with Inart is the fact that they had Viper hand painting the sculpts on video to sell product, again under no illusions that he was going to paint and hair Nicks sculpt, my question is why do that? Just show them already painted? HT didn’t do that? They only showed the process of sewing the suit. The Inart prototypes look extremely better than what was delivered, are the figures still perfectly fine for some less picky collectors? Sure, so it doesn’t apply to you. But to others it clearly does, Gary Pool here decided to avoid the IA release in its entirety because his eye saw what mine and others did as well. Is his thoughts inaccurate? No, so don’t dismiss them in the thought that he’s blindly following the opposing company.

Same about my personal opinions on collecting things, it should not bare any weight on you if it doesn’t apply.
I’m not demanding everyone only collect two detolfs of collectibles and that’s it, that’s silly. I’m just saying we need to know our limit and stick by it, when space becomes an issue you need to sell things, not sell your house because you’ve got a growing family and made a poor decision with making a room unusable for a newborn.

I don’t care how well off someone is, having a room filled with collectibles to the point you can’t walk or have to tell your wife & kids they have to pick up shop because you need more space is selfish.

Yeah, the end product was not close enough for what was offered in the promo for me. Also, I have a 1/4 Joker Jaxon sculpt that WAS personally painted and rooted by Viper, and it's very good. But has issues also - particularly the hair rooting, it's done nice enough in how it drapes, but it's too thick and full and long at the front (an issue both InArt and Hot Toys have equally). I didn't have faith that the product was worth £1k when I didn't think the clothing was particularly great anyway (no one can convince me the purple coat is a purple cotton sock material).

I just do what I do, which is to say, I collect what I really like without any bias or preference for a company. And base my display around that motif. There are a few people here who wouldn't admit how bias they are towards InArt if you ask me, but in their defence they think what they're getting is worth the price which you can't really attack, I suppose the same with a collection display.

Personally, I'd never want a cluttered display, even the thought of having more than 15 pieces is too much for me (that's the line I've tended to stay within since starting collecting in 2013). I'd almost defintely never have a diorama display, they can stay with the 1:1 statues in a museum. But more power to anyone who is enjoying their display the way they want.

But also as a side note, if anyone travels to the show your collection part of the forum you'll find that most people's collections are cluttered and unrefined. ALSO DUSTY! Along with having no space how can you maintain such a collection is beyond me.

Either way, no one is collecting wrong as long as they're enjoying it. just that some collections are better than others...

(That was a joke).

(sort of.)

Come to think of it, the only character I'd want to have in life-size scale is - Captain Marvel! :D

I want a life-sized CM statue!!! But at that point I'd want Brie Larson in real life (in costume of course!) in my living room!! 😁

(Okay maybe that didn't come out right :rotfl)

:chase
You meant her costume on the floor right? :ROFLMAO:

I’m just saying we need to know our limit and stick by it, when space becomes an issue you need to sell things, not sell your house because you’ve got a growing family and made a poor decision with making a room unusable for a newborn.

Meanwhile, the rest of us adding a new shipment of 1/6 figures to the collection:

LimitedTightBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Back