InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got the pencil to fix my Gandalf nose paint issue, but… uhh… I’m not sure.

Does this color seem right for flesh, or am I paranoid? Or is InArt gaslighting me?

View attachment 705884
If this had been asmus' response to a defective Gandalf head, there would be 20 pages of people complaining by now. With Inart it seems that there is more tolerance for defects such as hands, ring, letter, noserubs...

If this had been asmus' response to a defective Gandalf head, there would be 20 pages of people complaining by now. With Inart it seems that there is more tolerance for defects such as hands, ring, letter, noserubs...

The difference is a track record of corrective promises that Asmus kicked down the road for which, and I don't blame them, they likely couldn't financially support.

It generally sounds like InArt has made strides to make good on mistakes. But make no mistake, they're burning goodwill quickly. These little things will add up just the same.

100% agreed. Their QC definitely needs tightening up but folks here are for sure giving them way more slack than other companies when they've screwed up

Last edited:
QC is one thing but at least it didn't drop off a cliff like Asmus Crown GTG from prototype to final product then charging people for a replacement head after swindling people who paid full whack for the original Crown figure...
Wifey still wants to keep him when I have the InArt release. Beats me why when the GtG original head looks so much worse. Told her will use the InArt's hat on him to hide the face (eyes mostly) and have him in a separate display,

Wifey still wants to keep him when I have the InArt release. Beats me why when the GtG original head looks so much worse. Told her will use the InArt's hat on him to hide the face (eyes mostly) and have him in a separate display,
Yeah I'd kept mine on display next to Asmus Old Bilbo but it just looks so horrible compared to InArt that I've chucked it on eBay.

It stuck out like a sore thumb next to Asmus's great offerings like Thorin, Bilbo, Gimli etc that I can't bear to look at it any longer 😅

Once you have InArt Gandalf in your life, you'll want to forget the Asmus version!

Of all the things to be missing; the Stick that is supposed to be attached to the cone-shaped group of fireworks! The mushroom has it but not the cone group; just a depression or slot along the one where it belongs. I paid top dollar from KGH, so we'll see where it goes.
The ring packet is cherry, with the inscribed ring inside and the InArt seal on the bag. But one of the corners of the inner set box itself is dented because of no extra shipping box. The sword and its bag were both in there loose.

Of all the things to be missing; the Stick that is supposed to be attached to the cone-shaped group of fireworks! The mushroom has it but not the cone group; just a depression or slot along the one where it belongs. I paid top dollar from KGH, so we'll see where it goes.
The ring packet is cherry, with the inscribed ring inside and the InArt seal on the bag. But one of the corners of the inner set box itself is dented because of no extra shipping box. The sword and its bag were both in there loose.
It was packaged alongside one of the staffs for me, I believe this was standard. You might want to double check as it may have fallen out as you removed the staffs?

Absolutely right! Thanks guys! It is in with the pipe staff. And that is the one staff bag that is sealed with the round InArt sticker. So I will let KGH know.
So much included with this figure. I've been going over the box in bits and pieces since it arrived. Great attention to detail.
I missed the pre-order, distracted I think by the Weta statue and the Asmus offerings. Aragorn I didn't hesitate because there is not one offering out there that's even close to being Viggo IMO. Watching now for a Kit invoice on that one. Can't wait! Thanks again!

While the eyeball discussion continues on the Aragorn thread, what do you guys think of the Black Gloves that are popping up on all the InArt and collector videos now?
Think they're needed and what do you think they're made of? What do you think of glove material choices; cotton, latex or nitrile vs just the choice of clean washed hands??
I found my wife's blue nitrile gloves but definitely had to take them off to unpack things like the ring/moth packet.

They seem a bit unnecessary to me, it's like they're being worn to sell the premium nature of the figures more than for any real purpose. Keeping your hands clean - as oil and sweat free as possible - seems entirely reasonable to me. I don't really get why clean hands wouldn't be fine for handling most of the figure, except for the hair, which I generally try to touch with my fingers as little as possible just to keep it from getting oily.

While the eyeball discussion continues on the Aragorn thread, what do you guys think of the Black Gloves that are popping up on all the InArt and collector videos now?
Think they're needed and what do you think they're made of? What do you think of glove material choices; cotton, latex or nitrile vs just the choice of clean washed hands??
I found my wife's blue nitrile gloves but definitely had to take them off to unpack things like the ring/moth packet.
They look a lot like generic silicone gloves I have. Took a box from work; a remnant of the good ol’ pandemic days. They come in handy for when I’m painting.

I also wear cotton gloves for figures with certain types of fabric clothing or capes because my hands and fingertips tend to get dry in winter and are often callous from being a guitar player and weight lifter which can lead to inadvertently pulling loads of threads out and ruining an outfit.

At least they aren’t remotely oily so I’m safe with chrome and don’t risk destroying paint jobs with what people in the props industry affectionately refer to as ‘piss hands.’

I use cotton gloves. I'm a dentist and climber so my hands are worked heavily and I also don't want to snag any of the fine fabrics just the same.

I still wash my hands before working with any of my collectibles, but even if slowly, fingers will get oily as you use 'em. So it gives me peace of mind

I think I'm gonna switch to nitrile gloves though, just for the texture. I'm packing my collection to move right now, and I'm realizing how easily the cotton can cause things to slip out of my grip.

Great for chrome and shiny things like @Chopper Face says though.

Long story short, I don't think it's unreasonable and I don't begrudge anyone for using them. I used to not, but now always do.

I have read that archivists tend to prefer nitrile gloves over cotton gloves because cotton is thicker and dulls the handler's sense of tactility more easily, which is a bigger threat to fragile documents than skin oil, especially if hands are regularly washed instead. They also apparently advise just washing your hands before handling items more than you might think, in contrast to the image of white-gloved museum archivists that's so dominant in the general public consciousness.

However, you both make a good point about how gloves can help prevent rough fingers from snagging on outfits, and at some point I might try out nitrile gloves and see if I like them. :)

Word of caution: Not all nitrile gloves are created equally...
If using them for archival purposes- Only use "POWDER FREE" gloves, should be written right on the box.
(many come with a light coating of powder to make them easier to get on and off!)

I don't suppose on the off chance anyone has a spare right gripping hand? I've been waiting for 2 months kinda given up hope. Mine came with 2 left gripping hands.

If anyone has a spare hand or doubles name your price. 😂

I hope they step up their QC!

Last edited:
Back