Indiana Jones Temple of Doom Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The paint apps on the KOTCS piece improved from the proto to the production piece. I think this one would benefit from the same and I'll keep my order if they do.

If it doesn't have a collectible following why did a year ago, we get Indy legos, Indy hasbro figures, Indy from Sideshow, Indy Dr. Pepper, Indy Burger King kid's meals, Indy Fruit snacks, I just last night went and saw The Last Crusade in the theatre. Indy is still very much alive and in people's hearts.

Legos sell like crazy and their to kids. Parents will buy them so the kids have something to do and leave them alone. :lol We haven't had new Indy Hasbro figures since KOTCS came out and all that tied in with the movie. SS, HT, etc all do things differently with lines they will have figures for lines that don't have new movies. I wish my local movie places would do that but thats more a local thing than nationwide. I agree Indy is with us. However, besides us the fans who care about it all the time its not.

But your claims simply aren't backed up by what we've all seen. Indy lingers, while Mola Ram, a who? character by comparison sold like gangbusters. And if thats the case why are Edition sizes where they are?

Mola Ram had never had anything of the magnitude made like with the PF. It was a simply stunning so that helped and the ES was pretty decent. He's a demanded character of non Indy pieces. That helped. Other characters wouldn't do nearly as well IMO. Except outside of us.

Oversaturation of the same character, no matter how iconic, will kill a line. We're 3 Indys in with only a single other character where we could easily have another 4-5 to help fill it out, (Marion, Henry Sr., Shortround, Mutt, Willie Scott, Toht...) The Indy line has never been all about Indy, he has so many sidekicks and villains he's famous for, but Sideshow is too busy on theyre real money makers like Marvel and Star Wars to take the time to understand this.

I agree oversaturation can be a bad thing. Though, only some of those characters would be worthy of making in PF and sell well enough to justify it. Plus some of those may be in the pipe line but have issues which is why some pieces have moved up. I think SS more than gets Indy and wants to do more pieces for this. So I think they more than understand it.

Does Indy look great, sure, do I need 3 of the same 20" $300 statues as you pointed out, hell no. So if they want to convince me I do,they better make it perfect and not some random no body from a little company's idea of how he should look.

Do we need any of these pieces? No we don't. :lol Indy had all kinds of different looks and poses. I think it would be pretty boring if he had the whip out in every piece. Also does every piece of any character have to be scene specific? I don't think it does. Indy looks like Indy and looks cool in the way its shown.

I just wish they had stayed simple with this one. They could have just done the TOD one sheet pose. This pose is a little bit awkward looking.
Save the action poses for the dioramas.
Having said that, it is a nice piece/sculpt but I can only display so many of these. The Raiders PF still rules and Mola is preordered.

It could have been nearly flawless, but a couple of design decisions are leaving me and others a little frustrated by what we feel could/should have been. .

Here's a question, if the Raiders PF depicted him wielding an uncoiled whip would you still find the TOD PF lacking? Based on the Raiders and TOD PF's we can probably expect the TLC Indy to be holding the MP40 in one hand and his father's diary in the other. If they wanted to get really cool the Grail would be the exclusive, with an ES of 50 or less. Think about it.... ;)

I like your idea of him holding the gun and the diary. That would be pretty sweet actually.

Here's a question, if the Raiders PF depicted him wielding an uncoiled whip would you still find the TOD PF lacking?

Yes. Because I'm still not thrilled with the pose, in particular the way he's holding the Sankara stone (like a hand grenade, as has been pointed out numerous times). But maybe replacing the stone with the whip might help? Perhaps. But, also, the lack of stubble is mystifying and highly frustrating, particularly because small_studios' proto paint job did have it.

And I don't wanna hear excuses about production in China. The lack of ability and subpar QC there is Sideshow's problem. Hardly any other collectible company has these issues. Besides, if you can't get your factory to paint stubble on 2,000 (or fewer) 1:4 scale statues then maybe you shouldn't even bother having the INDY license in the first place.

great post i agree they should branch out to different characters

If it doesn't have a collectible following why did a year ago, we get Indy legos, Indy hasbro figures, Indy from Sideshow, Indy Dr. Pepper, Indy Burger King kid's meals, Indy Fruit snacks, I just last night went and saw The Last Crusade in the theatre. Indy is still very much alive and in people's hearts.

But your claims simply aren't backed up by what we've all seen. Indy lingers, while Mola Ram, a who? character by comparison sold like gangbusters. And if thats the case why are Edition sizes where they are?

Oversaturation of the same character, no matter how iconic, will kill a line. Were 3 Indys in with only a single other character where we could easily have another 4-5 to help fill it out, (Marion, Henry Sr., Shortround, Mutt, Willie Scott, Toht...) The Indy line has never been all about Indy, he has so many sidekicks and villains he's famous for, but Sideshow is too busy on theyre real money makers like Marvel and Star Wars to take the time to understand this. We only have 2 PFs in hand, both Indy, and now were supposed to order a 3rd???

Does Indy look great, sure, do I need 3 of the same 20" $300 statues as you pointed out, hell no. So if they want to convince me I do,they better make it perfect and not some random no body from a little company's idea of how he should look.

great post i agree they should branch out to different characters

True that, I wouldn't mind having 3 Indy's but would like some other characters to spice up my collection. Gets a bit repetitive, man.

As I said before though, a rope bridge base and I'd have been sold.
He still would have gone nicely with Mola. Didn't need the same base.
I have other pfs with different bases and I still like them together.

I noticed that the Exclusive is now on the wait list. I wonder what the edition size is on this piece.

Last edited:
I noticed that the Exclusive is now on he wait list.

"Well its about time!"

300px-11thPoonaRifles.jpg

Look it's still a great job but i would prefer if they spent the extra money making the PF a stand out !

Than 3 useless stones / monkey brains / and a over the top base !

w.t.f.

that's like saying the holy grail in last crusade is a useless cup. :cuckoo:

anyway, seems like ss has really hit a raw nerve by not giving us an option with the left hand holding the uncoiled whip, and the awkward position of the sankara-gripping hand.

i'd like to be a little optimistic (naive?) and believe that ss will listen to the fans and improve on this proto. it's not too late to give us that switch-out hand, or at least tweak the angle of the left hand...

w.t.f.

that's like saying the holy grail in last crusade is a useless cup. :cuckoo:

anyway, seems like ss has really hit a raw nerve by not giving us an option with the left hand holding the uncoiled whip, and the awkward position of the sankara-gripping hand.

i'd like to be a little optimistic (naive?) and believe that ss will listen to the fans and improve on this proto. it's not too late to give us that switch-out hand, or at least tweak the angle of the left hand...

Or a worthless bronze medallion.:rolleyes2 Besides, they're all just Macguffins anyways. :whip

SIDESHOW GIVE ME THE WHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

:duff

Yes. Because I'm still not thrilled with the pose, in particular the way he's holding the Sankara stone (like a hand grenade, as has been pointed out numerous times). But maybe replacing the stone with the whip might help? Perhaps. But, also, the lack of stubble is mystifying and highly frustrating, particularly because

Where I'm at with the PF is pretty much where I was in 2003 when the Indy trilogy was finally released on DVD. Picture/Sound afficionados didn't celebrate it as reference quality presentation but it was still very good, plagued with no deal breaking problems (incorrect framing, botched color restoration, etc.) For Indy fans, the movies were FINALLY on DVD, they were great to behold and worth celebrating.

I think the TOD Indy PF is also great to behold. I guess you could pick apart the things you mentioned (though the jury's still out on whether the stubble will be painted properly in production--it still might,) but damn, its Indy, and its Indy from the TEMPLE OF DOOM. :yess:

It really captures the "adventuring" side of him, IMO. Because face it, if adventure movies were alcoholic beverages, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom would be everclear. No classrooms, no government agents approaching him for aid, no packing his bags, just a frenetic chase out of Shanghai, a crashed plane, and crisis in India. Not high art, but 113 minutes of pulpy, edgy entertainment. Its great, and the PF does a great job of reminding me of what I love about the movie.

Hopefully they don't let us down with the finished production piece.

Its great, and the PF does a great job of reminding me of what I love about the movie.

Hopefully they don't let us down with the finished production piece.

no doubt..... I love it.. all they need to do is change that goofy stone chucking hand and they'd be right on..

Great post Khev! I really like this piece alot! I had the ROTLA Indy and ended up selling him due to personal problems. At the time, it was the right choice but I miss having it. This might make due for me. My only hope is that they make him grittier looking come production.

Back