James “Bucky” Barnes Premium Format Figure – Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't hot Toys heads cast in a translucent skin colored plastic? I think only the details & highlights are actually painted.

I could be wrong since I don't collect 1/6, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere.. They certainly look more realistic, that's for sure - but I'm still very pleased with my SSC PF's.

Aren't hot Toys heads cast in a translucent skin colored plastic? I think only the details & highlights are actually painted.

I could be wrong since I don't collect 1/6, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somewhere.. They certainly look more realistic, that's for sure - but I'm still very pleased with my SSC PF's.

When paints are paint on different materials, it result very differently. And I am not sure if it is reasonable to make comparison between HT and SSC.

It is like saying, "Can't the statue move flexibly like Figures? HT can do a 1:6 nicely, it should be easier if it is a 1:4."

I insist you "MUST" be kidding. When you are comparing a Polystone hand painted "STATUE" with a massively produced "TOYS". At the very beginning it is already a "Categorical Mistake". It is like asking why some orange is juicier than apple.

Secondly, please go visit some antique stores that sell high hand display statues, which a Tiny 5 inch piece cost more than the PF itself and the size like Bucky= 10 PF Dr. Doom at current market price. My uncle is a collector on those stupid things, since I started being a collector I have been more aware of the painting on eyes. (I have complained that at another thread.) And I if you complain SSC has not done well on the eyes painting, go see how those 10 times more costly one have been done and you know how great SSC is.

Thirdly, if you really want to make comparisons,(for the sake that we really want to dig into how mango taste better than beef) why dont we discuss how "dead fish" the HT Thor looks and how "Wierd" Spiderman is?

:confused::confused::confused: But orange are juicer than apple!

Yeah, HT figures are cast in a translucent resin. Sideshow is going to that as well.

:confused::confused::confused: But orange are juicer than apple!

I prefer apples. :lol

The german paratrooper pf was done that way. Thats the first piece I know of they did that with.

I think it is a marketing move since ppl are confused, trying to suggest unless it is like figure it is not nicely done. I will miss the facial expression of a statue like Punisher.

I think it is a marketing move since ppl are confused, trying to suggest unless it is like figure it is not nicely done. I will miss the facial expression of a statue like Punisher.

Its makes for even nicer looking pieces. You can get even more detail when casted using that kind of resin. Has nothing to do with people thinking 1:6th figures are better. You can get those kinds of expressions with the new material just like polystone faces.

As far as the Cap paint job I'm sorry but you're failing badly trying to prove that it has a bad paint job.

Is it just an okay paintjob then? What are you objectively defining it as while keeping an open mind and looking at what other companies are putting out? There's definite room for improvement here, it's apparent in the pics. I think this is a bad ass statue. Hell, I have it on order. Why is it a sin to ask for improvement? It's nothing personal.

The German Paratrooper is an excellent example of what should be standard (I'll take your word for it that it will be). But looking at that, and then back at Bucky, I'm not sure how you don't see quite a big dip in paint apps quality. Are we spoiled? Yeah. But once we see what is possible, that's what becomes the new benchmark. That's the way all commercial products work, and this is no different. Subjective, yes-men get in the way of progress while objective, healthy, honest criticism moves everything forward. :peace

c11098: You lost me when you scolded me for making a comparison and then made one yourself.

Its a solid paint job. Thats my opinion of it. Will when they go to the style of the german paratrooper be better? Sure especially with how good that looked. As things get transitioned into that then I'll worry about comparing the two.

Is it just an okay paintjob then? What are you objectively defining it as while keeping an open mind and looking at what other companies are putting out? There's definite room for improvement here, it's apparent in the pics. I think this is a bad ass statue. Hell, I have it on order. Why is it a sin to ask for improvement? It's nothing personal.

The German Paratrooper is an excellent example of what should be standard (I'll take your word for it that it will be). But looking at that, and then back at Bucky, I'm not sure how you don't see quite a big dip in paint apps quality. Are we spoiled? Yeah. But once we see what is possible, that's what becomes the new benchmark. That's the way all commercial products work, and this is no different. Subjective, yes-men get in the way of progress while objective, healthy, honest criticism moves everything forward. :peace

c11098: You lost me when you scolded me for making a comparison and then made one yourself.

Hm. So either u assert it is problematic to make a comparison or you don't hv a convincing case for the argument. I am fine by both because a statue is a statue, it is not a toy.

I love SSC trying new materials in postulating something differently, especially movie statues. But I am not positive about that. To me they just want to cut cost in using those sort of new materials, once again look at Punisher Com and you have to agree it captures the essence of the character from the print that toys cannot. (this is the limitation of figures now, maybe in years Thayer can make it better, but not now)

Its a solid paint job. Thats my opinion of it. Will when they go to the style of the german paratrooper be better? Sure especially with how good that looked. As things get transitioned into that then I'll worry about comparing the two.

When a statue is no longer a statue :(

When a statue is no longer a statue :(

How's that? That german paratrooper looked every bit as good last year any of the pieces that was all polystone.

I know you're not a fan of 1:6th but those are great and very detailed collectibles as well. Using the translucent resin will be really awesome.

Well, I am not a 1/6 fan like hot toys, but they do have great value and most of the people like it because it's much cheaper on most of them, also the Quility are pretty good.

Hm. So either u assert it is problematic to make a comparison or you don't hv a convincing case for the argument.

Nope. I just don't bother with hypocritical mentalities :dunno

I had written a lengthy response to your post, but got rid of it. I feel like I've made my stance known, have had some healthy dialogue about it with members, and have nothing more to add. You're either going to agree or disagree, and the conversation we were beginning to have was one about 1/6 vs statues —something off-topic and something I wasn't trying to get at.

As said, the GPT looks pretty great. Can't wait for that to trickle down into more of Sideshow's lines. Even with my issues with paint, SS is undoubtedly the master of 1/4. Increasing paint quality will only push them further ahead of the pack :yess:

As said, the GPT looks pretty great. Can't wait for that to trickle down into more of Sideshow's lines. Even with my issues with paint, SS is undoubtedly the master of 1/4. Increasing paint quality will only push them further ahead of the pack :yess:

Agreed that improvement is always a good thing.

Re: James �Bucky� Barnes Premium Format Figure � Captain America

Agreed that improvement is always a good thing.

Ok, put things like this, as a statue collector, I expect some quality work from craftsmanship, I am not sure about the German PF you are talking about because all I can see are photos. But if they are using the tech HT has been using, then I can be very honest to you, it is just a cost saving way to do a statue. I do collect HT figures because as toys, there is nothing I can pick on, but I expect more from a statue.

Maybe it is because I have uncle who collects high end statue and influenced by him I am very rigid about what constitute as a statue. Call me conservative, there are some good qualities of hand painting the stuffs.

Back