James “Bucky” Barnes Premium Format Figure – Captain America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: James �Bucky� Barnes Premium Format Figure � Captain America

Nope. I just don't bother with hypocritical mentalities :dunno

I had written a lengthy response to your post, but got rid of it. I feel like I've made my stance known, have had some healthy dialogue about it with members, and have nothing more to add. You're either going to agree or disagree, and the conversation we were beginning to have was one about 1/6 vs statues �something off-topic and something I wasn't trying to get at.

I am going to disagree. Because you cannot compare statue with figures.

Ok, put things like this, as a statue collector, I expect some quality work from craftsmanship, I am not sure about the German PF you are talking about because all I can see are photos. But if they are using the tech HT has been using, then I can be very honest to you, it is just a cost saving way to do a statue. I do collect HT figures because as toys, there is nothing I can pick on, but I expect more from a statue.

Maybe it is because I have uncle who collects high end statue and influenced by him I am very rigid about what constitute as a statue. Call me conservative, there are some good qualities of hand painting the stuffs.

I'm curious as to how you know this is a cost cutting measure. I think thats just a way for you to take a rather snobbish approach to something you look at as a lesser collectible.

Well, honestly I think you're fairly new to collecting and need to loosen up a bit. A statue doesn't have to be made of polystone, marbel, etc to be a statue.

Also, there's latex and silicon if you want to get into the whole Hollywood movie approach.. some materials are used because they look more realistic.

I think the idea of using different materials is all just part of the whole "Premium Format" mixed media idea. They have been using real cloth for the clothings, now they are trying a certain kind of plastic for the head which has a more realistic skin look to it. I'm pretty sure the body underneath will still be polystone. That's what Premium Format was always about, using different materials instead of just using polystone. There will always be Commiquette and maquettes for those who want everything sculpted in polystone.

Also, there's latex and silicon if you want to get into the whole Hollywood movie approach.. some materials are used because they look more realistic.

I think the idea of using different materials is all just part of the whole "Premium Format" mixed media idea. They have been using real cloth for the clothings, now they are trying a certain kind of plastic for the head which has a more realistic skin look to it. I'm pretty sure the body will underneath will still be polystone. That's what Premium Format was always about, using different materials. There will always be Commiquette and maquettes for those who want everything sculpted in polystone.

Pretty much. :goodpost:

So SSC made a statue using the same materials as a HT for the head? link please Josh, i want to see how that looks. :D

I'm curious as to how you know this is a cost cutting measure. I think thats just a way for you to take a rather snobbish approach to something you look at as a lesser collectible.

Well, honestly I think you're fairly new to collecting and need to loosen up a bit. A statue doesn't have to be made of polystone, marbel, etc to be a statue.

Well I am new to SSC, my family has collect statues for years.

Why do I know it is cost effective? Well, one is done by machine, one is by person. You tell me.

HT "is" less of a collectible, it is a toy manufacturer, you categorize them under toys. Statues are not toys, the essential property is for appreciation. Collectibles as I hv suggested elsewhere is a secondary property, one can reduce everything as collectible but it doesn't mean it should be the case.

Well, it is sad that many ppl has encroached by the ideology and exhibit a rationalization on purchasing toys.

I think the idea of using different materials is all just part of the whole "Premium Format" mixed media idea. They have been using real cloth for the clothings, now they are trying a certain kind of plastic for the head which has a more realistic skin look to it. I'm pretty sure the body underneath will still be polystone. That's what Premium Format was always about, using different materials instead of just using polystone. There will always be Commiquette and maquettes for those who want everything sculpted in polystone.

I agree with you, trying new materials are ok. I hv just express my feeling about that, it is just like some ppl don't like PF, I am siding with them in a certain extent.

When people compare Bucky's head with HT's head as I hv said it is a categorical mistake. Bucky is a comic character, he does not have to look "real". While to movie Thor or CA, a new way to paint the statue is not such bad of a deal. But just make sure it is just not a way to cut cost.

Why do I know it is cost effective? Well, one is done by machine, one is by person. You tell me.

Family collecting those type of statues and what we collect is a whole totally different ball of wax.

Statues or 1:6th are both sculpted by hand the sculpts are and then molds are used to make what we get. Nobody is setting down and sculpting each piece individually.

HT "is" less of a collectible, it is a toy manufacturer, you categorize them under toys. Statues are not toys, the essential property is for appreciation. Collectibles as I hv suggested elsewhere is a secondary property, one can reduce everything as collectible but it doesn't mean it should be the case.

Well, it is sad that many ppl has encroached by the ideology and exhibit a rationalization on purchasing toys.

We refer to our 1:6th figures as our toys but they're not toys. I don't think any of us are outside in our yards playing with them. The stuff you buy at a Target, Wal-Mart, etc (Hasbro figures) are toys Hot Toys is not that.

Does it bother you people collect 1:6th figures? I mean you seem to think lesser of them and think people buying them are wasting their money. I've collected all things in the years I've been doing this and enjoyed them all the same. I would suggest you do the same and not take such a what I collect is better than you approach. Just enjoy it.

Does it bother you people collect 1:6th figures? I mean you seem to think lesser of them and think people buying them are wasting their money. I've collected all things in the years I've been doing this and enjoyed them all the same. I would suggest you do the same and not take such a what I collect is better than you approach. Just enjoy it.

He'd one of the few SSC fans i've seen acting that way, it's normally the HT fans making snide comments about statues and the paint looking like crap or you can't pose them etc. IMHO it's the HT fans that look down on statue collectors.

Shame this thread is all about this for the last few pages though. Back to talking about this awesome PF NOW! :lol

He'd one of the few SSC fans i've seen acting that way, it's normally the HT fans making snide comments about statues and the paint looking like crap or you can't pose them etc. IMHO it's the HT fans that look down on statue collectors.

Shame this thread is all about this for the last few pages though. Back to talking about this awesome PF NOW! :lol

Its odd. I just don't get the mind set at all. To each his own I guess but I enjoy what I do and I know you do in the end thats all that matters. :hi5:

Yeah, we need more pics of this guy from folks! I'm not dragging mine back outside. :lol

:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse

I sure so. :rock

Yeah once is enough right? i know all too well. :lol

Hell yeah :rock

Darn skippy! Especially these bigger pieces. Makes me as nervous as a lady of the evening in church. :lol

:lol

I try to take them out in bits rather than drop it and have to bring it back inside in broken bits. :horror :lol

P1070890.jpg

P1070892.jpg

P1070891.jpg

Besides I dont look them HT buyer, I just urge them to be realistic about what they are buying. I welcome people to tell me they are collecting toys, but toys are toys, the essence is not going to change unless it is no longer toys. I am sorry, I am very rigid on things, especially what constitutes A as A. And I agree with Jay it is not a debate thread about what make HT better than SSC or vise versa, I just want to point out, comparing HT figures with SSC with statues, as I have been repeatedly suggesting since the very beginning, is a categorical mistake.

I also collect HT stuffs, I am from HK and I am proud of HT, a company from HK, a place that lacks dream, has turned out become one of the most important center of 12 inch figures.

Back