Jazzinc 1/6 Batman 1989 Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See post #630.
Thanks. I've read this entire thread but somehow I glossed over these posts. Respectfully, I don't agree with the conclusion.

I understand that this is a finished product and will not be changed at this point. I'm not demanding any refunds. I just wanted to know what people were seeing and where the bronze wheel idea came from. I may be in the minority, I may yet be conclusively proven incorrect, but I don't think these things were bronze. Just my opinion.

Do people find that to be a convincing photo? Unfortunately I don't. I hope there is something better than that. The wheels look about three different colors in that picture. How do you explain the closer, clearer pictures from the Japanese premier that aren't at all bronze?

Here's a still from the movie

.View attachment 729461
1727805231259.png

Genuine question, does this not look like a bronze color to you? To my eye it seems pretty clear that it is. I thought this had already been cleared up anyway by Joost.

Last edited:
I guess the broader question is, if it’s been “settled” or “cleared up”, was that done simply by eyeballing photos? Or, is there some kind of insider information from an unempeachable source? Looking at photos can be deceptive. Different angles, different light. It doesn’t always look exactly the same and people can disagree about exactly what it is.

Not even a little bit.
I guess the broader question is, if it’s been “settled” or “cleared up”, was that done simply by eyeballing photos? Or, is there some kind of insider information from an unempeachable source? Looking at photos can be deceptive. Different angles, different light. It doesn’t always look exactly the same and people can disagree about exactly what it is.

If it doesn't look like bronze to you then how about antique brass lol? The point is, it's not black. You can look at clips from the movie online and stop them and see that the rims have a bronze or brass hue of some kind. @JazzInc had a lot of access to design info via DC/WB so perhaps he can revisit this for you if he has time, but he didn't land on this color based on general consensus or a Facebook poll. Speaking of which, have you joined Jazzinc's closed Facebook group? That would be another place to pose your question. There are probably a few people in there that have this stuff memorized.

The paint on the ‘92 is more of a matte black, for starters.

I would not bet against Jazzinc doing a ‘92 Batmobile. Joost has committed to a lot of other vehicles but that’s not to say he’s not considering a ‘92. The engineering has already been done. The few tweaks needed to go from an ‘89 to a ‘92 are trivial. The main difference is the paint. And he has said that he would like to do all of the versions of the Batmobile that he can.

Besides, he knows he could sell at least 300 of them.
The '92 Returns Batmobile was gloss black and darkened wheels. The '89 had the "flip-flop" paint

If it doesn't look like bronze to you then how about antique brass lol? The point is, it's not black. You can look at clips from the movie online and stop them and see that the rims have a bronze or brass hue of some kind. @JazzInc had a lot of access to design info via DC/WB so perhaps he can revisit this for you if he has time, but he didn't land on this color based on general consensus or a Facebook poll. Speaking of which, have you joined Jazzinc's closed Facebook group? That would be another place to pose your question. There are probably a few people in there that have this stuff memorized.

To me, it doesn't look like antique brass, or copper, or gold, or whatever. At least not to me. I know it's not black and I never said it was black. The wheels were black in Batman Returns. Also, you can't watch the movie and gauge the wheel color because things rarely look the same in real life as they do on film. Movies are specially lit and sometimes even color corrected. Han Solo's Hoth jacket from The Emperor Strikes back is a perfect example of this. People thought it was blue for 30 years and it was actually brown. Also, I do not and would not ever use Facebook.

To me, it doesn't look like antique brass, or copper, or gold, or whatever. At least not to me. I know it's not black and I never said it was black. The wheels were black in Batman Returns. Also, you can't watch the movie and gauge the wheel color because things rarely look the same in real life as they do on film. Movies are specially lit and sometimes even color corrected. Han Solo's Hoth jacket from The Emperor Strikes back is a perfect example of this. People thought it was blue for 30 years and it was actually brown. Also, I do not and would not ever use Facebook.
No argument wrt not being able to trust what colors we see on film but I do trust Joost, as time and again he's gone the extra mile to make sure design elements are as accurate as he can make them. What color do you think they are - stainless steel? The still from the movie that you posted earlier was so washed out that the black body looked white, so one certainly can't judge the rim color from that either.

p.s. - Agree 100% about Facebook. I have an account solely to follow sites associated with this hobby (Sideshow, Jazzinc, OSK, etc.).

Okay...so what color do you think they are?
So.....if you watch one of the making of documentaries, there is a bit with John Evans. You can see the cars in the background in the process of being built. The wheels are the original bright chrome as they would have come from the manufacturer. They were obviously painted before filming. I mentioned before that they to my eyeballs they have always looked like a gunmetal color or a charcoal-ish gray. A darker color, not black.

Also, I think (not 100% sure) that this picture below is the original filming model for the Axis Chemicals scenes. I could be wrong. Maybe this was just a studio scale replica that was made. Or maybe it's the real thing but the wheels were re painted or restored for some reason. Anyway, the wheels on this are very dark and they closely matches the photos of the full size car that I posted previously.

Another thing about the the full size cars. It's not just the lighting you have to be aware of on set. Even when they aren't at their full level of shine, they will reflect a little bit of color from the objects, buildings, and various junk that is opposite of them.

9157cc84-c3ac-43f3-bf7d-bf6c.jpg.png

View attachment 729464

Genuine question, does this not look like a bronze color to you? To my eye it seems pretty clear that it is. I thought this had already been cleared up anyway by Joost.
I was surprised when Joost said the rims were that colour, but at the end of the day, he's done the research. I actually justI saw the film in 35mm--meaning an original film reel, not the blue-tinted Blu Ray/4K version--and definitely saw the brass colour when the car was parked outside the museum.

In this photo where the car is sitting in front of the museum you can arguably see some brownish bronze color on the wheels. Maybe.

But, look at the very front of the car on the body lines. The car has the brownish copper color too, perhaps even more than the wheels. So, you have the special paint on the car, you have the movie lighting, but the car and the wheels also reflect a bit of the color of the set and whatever is opposite of it. It's all very deceiving.

IMG_0054.jpeg

In this photo where the car is sitting in front of the museum you can arguably see some brownish bronze color on the wheels. Maybe.

But, look at the very front of the car on the body lines. The car has the brownish copper color too, perhaps even more than the wheels. So, you have the special paint on the car, you have the movie lighting, but the car and the wheels reflect a bit of the color of the set and whatever is opposite of it. It's all very deceiving.

View attachment 729499
Sounds like the only thing that's going to convince you is if you go ask Joost himself, so I suggest you do that.

Sounds like the only thing that's going to convince you is if you go ask Joost himself, so I suggest you do that.
I'm scared to ask after all the griping people did about the tiny little body imperfections.

Anyway, isn't this a discussion forum? I'm discussing.

Back