JND Studios: Superman (Christopher Reeve) 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, posted it on statue forum too as not everyone on there comes over here.

514506-IMG-20240604-WA0000.jpg

(Hmm... I'm having a déjà vu here, but anyway... : - P)

This looks great to me. Maybe a bit soft, but I think it's the greatest Reeve sculpt I've ever seen, and it certainly runs rings around JND's offering, in my opinion.
it's nicely done, but looking a bit too soap opera, pretty boy, IG filter to me. Much like many Reeve sculpts, if you single out the different parts (eyes, nose, mouth, etc.) they look really good individually; but once combined, something is missing.

Yes, it's an idealised version (idealised due to the sculpted hair and style of paintjob I think). The actual features of the face are Reeve's features - directly scanned from the lifecasts, so they're going to be closer than anything sculpted from scratch. The other angle I've got of the sculpt doesn't look quite so good though which is weird because it IS Reeve's face from a FULL HEAD lifecast that was done by Stuart Freeborn in 1977. Here, it looks like the back of his jawline is too far back, but I assume that's an illusion because that's where the jawline is on the lifecast.
IMG_20240604_171428_953.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's an idealised version (created mainly by the sculpted hair and paintjob I think). The actual features of the face are Reeve's features - directly scanned from the lifecasts, so they're going to be closer than anything sculpted from scratch. The other angle I've got of the sculpt doesn't look quite so good though which is weird because it IS Reeve's face from a FULL HEAD lifecast that was done by Stuart Freeborn in 1977.
For sure. I'm not discrediting the source by any means and understand that it's from a lifecast. I think it just goes to show that even something like this, which should realistically be (and maybe is?) the most accurate Reeve portrait, that it can still look off/stylized/idealized compared to what someone (in this case, me) perceives he should look like.

I'm right with you on that and this just goes to prove that it's incredibly difficult to nail a likeness (even with access to the best and most definitive reference possible). This IS Reeve's face and ears but here we are, still thinking that it's not quite right. LOL. I'll try and get some better photos without any lens distortion.

Last edited:
514506-IMG-20240604-WA0000.jpg

(Hmm... I'm having a déjà vu here, but anyway... : - P)

This looks great to me. Maybe a bit soft, but I think it's the greatest Reeve sculpt I've ever seen, and it certainly runs rings around JND's offering, in my opinion.

That likeness is incredible, it's capture Reeve's warmth and presence - it almost has this etherial feel about it as well.

Agreed, that's the most accurate (also agree it's soft and plastic looking compared to the JND silicone/punched hair) Reeve I've ever seen. Something very special about this one.

Here is a resin painted 1:3 Chris Reeve Superman bust that was created from 3d scans of three separate authentic lifecasts of Reeve that were taken by Stuart Freeborn in 1977 when Reeve was filming Superman the Movie. The lifecast scans were then tweaked digitally to remove the "sagging" caused by the alginate pulling the skin down a bit on the lifecast subject, then 3d printed in resin and painted. Even this looks a bit off and this is Chris Reeve's actual face and ears! LOL.
Now this is Reeve! This just highlights how bad the JND sculpt is.

Mi Superman 1/1 hecho por mí. Me gusta mucho esta escultura y él está sonriendo
1000192863.jpg
1000192871.jpg
1000198105.jpg
1000191572.jpg
1000191391.jpg
448898719_10229557224906876_186641040307801752_n.jpg
448976934_10229557225306886_128758107983440191_n.jpg

Last edited:
Production version of the statue body compared to the prototype. I think it's astonishing how realistic it looks considering it's sculpted. Let's hope the production portrait has been tweaked to make this a real treasure!

Attachments

• in27JUo.jpeg
    in27JUo.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Production version of the statue body compared to the prototype. I think it's astonishing how realistic it looks considering it's sculpted. Let's hope the production portrait has been tweaked to make this a real treasure!
Never seen sculpted clothing look this realistic. Credit where it's due, the outfit is extremely impressive.

Thanks for sharing! That looks really good!

Oddly enough, I was looking over the prototype pics this afternoon as this is currently my most anticipated release.

Last edited:
JND don't F around with their sculpted fabrics. I would rather everything that is textile be a textile and not plastic, but Superman and The Batman are exceptional. The only complaint with them is that because it's a hard surface the lighting betrays that it isn't fabric. But because Superman has such flat colours it'll work really well with it.

Saw on facebook someone mentioned that this statue is due to be released in September :panic: I have not sold enough stuff to make space for yet another big statue :lol
Pull your finger out! LOL. That's great if it's going to be released in September. Maybe they're timing it with the Super/Man Christopher Reeve Story that is getting a cinematic release on 21st and 25th September

Pull your finger out! LOL. That's great if it's going to be released in September. Maybe they're timing it with the Super/Man Christopher Reeve Story that is getting a cinematic release on 21st and 25th September
Good point and could be the reasoning. They just dropped the trailer for that documentary today. Looked really good but also very saddening

I have no skin in the game here as I won't be ordering this Reeve Superman, but if I were I can honestly say that I would probably be happy with either sculpt they've used on the prototype. I think both of them are Reeve in a lot of ways and also a bit of a miss in few ways. But overall, I think it's by far the best representation of a licensed Reeve portrait I've ever seen. Even some of the custom sculpts haven't been this good looking overall. A lot of times I find the custom stuff to come across as too idealized. Too perfect, which takes out the humanity too much.

I think if you combine that with the fact that this will 100% look better in person, in 3 dimensional real life, then you really can't go wrong. Besides, I think the lighting they've used in both photo sets are not really capturing how this looks in person and potentially highlighting some of the flaws more.

Granted, I'm also one who is on the fence with the Indiana Jones sculpt as I think it needs some tweaks around the eyes/brows before it's 100% Harrison Ford, but I definitely see the potential there and hope for an actual tweak before I get so tempted that I can't wait any longer and order it. I'm already struggling not to :).

Anyway, good luck to those who get this and I can't wait to see in hand photos soon.

Saw on facebook someone mentioned that this statue is due to be released in September :panic: I have not sold enough stuff to make space for yet another big statue :lol
I'll need to be cancelling my duo set then. I leave for a month and a half on the road for work around the 20th and no one will be here to take delivery or to vet it if it was delivered.

I'll need to be cancelling my duo set then. I leave for a month and a half on the road for work around the 20th and no one will be here to take delivery or to vet it if it was delivered.
Well, there’s no guarantee that it will be shipping in September, just rumor. I wouldn’t cancel until you actually get the invoice.

If you’re in the US, you probably have about that much time (meaning a month or so) before it actually ships. JND ships all the Korean orders before they ship elsewhere. I paid my Cavill Sups on March 26th and it didn’t ship until April 19th.

Back