Joker: Folie à Deux

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secondly - why this discourse of "why do people like villains" can be read too much into and cause self-created problems for critics and creatives, and why I think this impacted Joker.

So people like villains,
It doesn't mean people are secretly psychos and losers who want to watch the world burn and the idea that the masses need to be educated and uplifted/enlightened by content-creators and members of the literati has been debunked on a societal level more times than I can fathom.
Watching Tarantino movies doesn't encourage people into a life of crime, watching horror movies doesn't make serial killers, enjoying Hopkins performance as Hannibal Lecter doesn't make someone a cannibal, liking Darth Vader doesn't make people into space-fascists and enjoying the Joker as a character and perhaps even feeling a degree of empathy doesn't make someone a crazed anarchist.

I thought we all collectively got over this hurdle with the insane critical reaction and fear-mongering spread about the first film before its release...
and the audience I believe did get over it because, being rational and decent ordinary people who actually understand human nature and dont view their fellow humans as impressionable sheep who will follow whatever example is shown to them, they dismissed this fear-mongering hysteria by the critical class as the ******** it was.

Sadly it seems Phillips bought this hysterical school of thought hook-line-and-sinker.
This movie seems to be made with one purpose only = to "correct" the "mistakes" made by the last film in making the Joker character remotely relatable or sympathetic as clearly this is creating a false idol of deviance for the gullible masses to adopt as a symbol and it is the duty of the content-creator class to educate the masses on why a man who kills people is bad and we are bad for remotely liking him in a film that was crafted specifically to help audiences empathize with the character...
Because clearly an audience with such a capacity for empathy and sympathy are all ready to be moulded into psychopaths, incels and whathaveyou.
So the solution? deconstruct everything that drew people to the previous film's iteration of the character and furthermore deconstruct the fanbase itself with an audience surrogate....
Its just insulting at this point and betrays a condescending attitude from the director and writers.
In short, **** Todd Phillips.

Do you know what kind of failure we are talking about here with this movie?

They literally set up the natural progression going from him killing Murray to then him and Harley in the sequel taking out the audience just like in Dark Knight Returns.

They had a clear path to do that it was a natural narrative progression from him killing the talkshow HOST to then killing the audience!!

Instead he went and got raped because you know that makes so much more sense! :slap

I’m just a fan of the character yet the narrative path is so clear for me while Hollywood can’t write themselves out of a paper bag!

I can only imagine that he must be super happy and feels lucky that Phoenix failed miserably because now it’s his time to shine, all eyes are on him now!
After Leto and Phoenix I would be hesitating to take that step into the spotlight if I was Keoghan.
Not that I have any doubt in his talent, but actors are at the mercy of the writing and direction.

Honestly though, as a member of the audience and someone who has always enjoyed the character, give Joker a rest for a few years - Batman has the most iconic villains in all popular culture, give someone else a chance in the spotlight and also... can we please move past this "ultrra-realistic-Batman" take, Gothan ought to be a heightened reality rather than utterly grounded.

They need to give heroes their bright colored costumes again....

Sell toys and make money. Their is no money in the Joker getting bent.

jokerS.jpg

Last edited:
No official merch for the sequel so far is pretty weird. There’s nothing, right? Not even a single Gaga.
Hard to believe companies don't want to touch this masterpiece with a 10ft pole, you'd think we'd at least get a double pack of Gleeson and Arthur with a bathroom diorama to represent one of the greatest moments in cinema history!

tumblr_349279e714cf664c238bae8d7f9c2cd3_83db6c82_400.gif

That's hard to look at.

I for one would like to finally see a classic debonair comic Joker. Basically, the guy in the photo with green hair and that's it.

No scars, no clown makeup, no long hair, no tattoos or any other weird "creative" choices.

Just have this guy with the same exact haircut, with green hair in a stylish purple suit, green shirt, orange vest. Acid flower 🌼 🌸 optional.

Hopefully James Gunn's Batman and Robin movie gives us a classic Joker 🃏
1000001353.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001353.jpg
    1000001353.jpg
    180 KB
Back