Lincoln

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that wofford, very interesting. Quite the contrast to how has been portrayed (understandably).

lincoln-daniel-day-lewis-movie-image-set-photo-01-600x458.jpg

I'm really curious how Day Lewis approaches Lincoln's voice. Here are a few quotes about his voice...

Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
--William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
--Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
--Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time

I can't wait to hear what DDL does with the voice either....the accents/voices he did in Gangs and TWBB are so different than the way he really talks.

I am disappointed that he is still in modern clothing. Knowing DDL, he should be fully in character and refuses to drop character and will dress in period accurate clothing and eat period accurate cooking throughout the shoot. He will only drop character once he recorded the DVD commentary.

For ____s sake. We are now picking apart the costumes even before they are made into figures? :lol

I'm really curious how Day Lewis approaches Lincoln's voice. Here are a few quotes about his voice...

Lincoln's voice was, when he first began speaking, shrill, squeaking, piping, unpleasant; his general look, his form, his pose, the color of his flesh, wrinkled and dry, his sensitiveness, and his momentary diffidence, everything seemed to be against him, but he soon recovered.
--William H. Herndon letter, July 19, 1887

But whenever he began to talk his eyes flashed and every facial movement helped express his idea and feeling. Then involuntarily vanished all thought or consciousness of his uncouth appearance, or awkward manner, or even his high keyed, unpleasant voice.
--Abram Bergen in Intimate Memories of Lincoln

The [second] inaugural address was received in most profound silence. Every word was clear and audible as the ringing and somewhat shrill tones of Lincoln's voice sounded over the vast concourse.
--Noah Brooks in Washington in Lincoln's Time

Very interesting, Wofford. I never knew that about Lincoln. Really changes my perception of him.

With Bill and Ted, duh.

I'd lose my ____ if this turned out to be a prequel to a new Bill and Ted film. Have this Lincoln film end with Bill and Ted arriving in their telephone booth time machine, pick up DDL Lewis. :lol

This could be like some Avengers type deal. First film is about Lincoln, the next could be Genghis Khan, etc. etc.

There's a great interview of Tommy Lee Jones online about how amazing Daniel Day Lewis' performance is in this. That's not exactly surprising, but to hear someone like Tommy Lee Jones talk about it is pretty awesome. I'm on my cell right now so I'll let someone else look it up and post it.

There's a great interview of Tommy Lee Jones online about how amazing Daniel Day Lewis' performance is in this. That's not exactly surprising, but to hear someone like Tommy Lee Jones talk about it is pretty awesome. I'm on my cell right now so I'll let someone else look it up and post it.

I can't find nothing :(

I hope this movie is amazing. This is my favorite person from history and IMO America's best President.

https://www.slashfilm.com/tommy-lee-jones-calls-daniel-daylewis-portrayal-lincoln/

I don’t think Daniel ever loses himself but I don’t think President Lincoln has ever been portrayed as well. He’s read his history, he’s read his books – Daniel has – and his Lincoln is a country boy who also happens to be a brilliant lawyer and a poet. This is not a Lincoln that’s just stepped off the dollar bill or just arisen from the Lincoln Monument. This is not the icon or the hero and he’s not the joke of the old ‘Honest Abe’ nonesense. This is a real man and I don’t think Lincoln has ever been done as well.

Back