1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want to see Sideshow succeed with this one. That prototype looks fantastic. They nailed the headsculpt, tailoring of the jumpsuit and the overall look of him in his pilot gear.

It would be a real shame if they drop the ball when it comes to the production if this guy. This could potentially be one of their best. I hope the $250 price tag is is a good representation of what people receive. It should be.

EX is pretty silly actually. Gloves-in-hand.

I would think you can get the reg elsewhere once available for $50 less at least.

It is... basically making an exclusive out of something boring enough to have been part of the regular release on an already sparsely outfitted figure.

I really want to see Sideshow succeed with this one. That prototype looks fantastic. They nailed the headsculpt, tailoring of the jumpsuit and the overall look of him in his pilot gear.

It would be a real shame if they drop the ball when it comes to the production if this guy. This could potentially be one of their best. I hope the $250 price tag is is a good representation of what people receive. It should be.
Yeah, with them dropping that stupid eye plate this could be outstanding. And for the price it certainly should be. I really want Sideshow to succeed in cracking out sculpts that are equal to or close to HT. They have a great creative team over there they just need the production piece to come out the way it should.

Hey if it comes out looking anything close to that prototype, it'll be worth it.

If its important to you ('you' meaning people), then price shouldn't even be a problem. Hell, I spent more than twice that on a good Bond (man in suit). Probably more than that again for a good Indy (not counting the hundreds I've already spent trying to get one I like).

For me though, I'd rather spend a large amount on one great representation of the character -- and for me that's going to be HT Farmboy Luke.

So to spend another $240+ on the same character in a different outfit starts to make no snese for me. I just want one to be front-and-center. Multiples create problems for my display as I've discovered.

Yeah, with them dropping that stupid eye plate this could be outstanding. And for the price it certainly should be. I really want Sideshow to succeed in cracking out sculpts that are equal to or close to HT. They have a great creative team over there they just need the production piece to come out the way it should.

Why are they dropping the eye plate?

I'm amused at the renewed discussion for this figure now that Hot Toys has revealed photos of their ANH Luke. Boy, does Sideshow's $240 asking price look less attractive than ever! Although HT's headsculpt isn't the home-run I was hoping for, IMHO it puts the X-Wing one to shame.

Like DiFabio, there's no part of me that emotionally wants to crap on Sideshow's efforts. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how good their unhatted Hoth Luke's headsculpt looked on Hot Toys' Bespin Luke figure. But as it stands now, the only way I plan on including SSC's X-Wing Luke into the collection is seeing a significant price drop and/or knowing that I may have to display it with Hot Toys' ANH portrait.

I'm amused at the renewed discussion for this figure now that Hot Toys has revealed photos of their ANH Luke. Boy, does Sideshow's $240 asking price look less attractive than ever! Although HT's headsculpt isn't the home-run I was hoping for, IMHO it puts the X-Wing one to shame.

Like DiFabio, there's no part of me that emotionally wants to crap on Sideshow's efforts. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how good their unhatted Hoth Luke's headsculpt looked on Hot Toys' Bespin Luke figure. But as it stands now, the only way I plan on including SSC's X-Wing Luke into the collection is seeing a significant price drop and/or knowing that I may have to display it with Hot Toys' ANH portrait.

Not sure I agree the HT sculpt puts the SSC one "to shame." That SSC sculpt looks incredible as a proto, to my eye a slightly better likeness than the HT - the only question (the age-old SSC question) is what we'll get in-hand... and of course whether you want to pay $240.

I agree that SS head sculpt appears to have a better resemblance. Would like in my collection, but the price is too high considering the lack of extras. Will order HT depending on price. Really don't feel the need to replace figures I already have.

How will SSC paint app be any better than their Hoth figures only released a short time ago? Will they be producing at a new factory and that's why the cost has escalated?

SSC are just always a gamble when it comes to the final production piece. I know that I'll be waiting to see the final outcome before I consider purchasing this figure. With HT their figures are in most cases very close to the prototype, so what you see is what you will get. Sometimes it even turns out better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With HT their figures are in most cases very close to the prototype, so what you see is what you will get. Sometimes it even turns out better.

Usually. But it didn't turn out that way for poor Maleficent - the HT paint application is horrendous.

I had zero interest in this pilot Luke, now I'll try to get one of the first parted out heads when they become available. At this point I just can't in all good conscience display the head HT is going to ship with their Luke. Kit-bashing full licensed release is something I normally don't consider, but enough is enough and I'm replacing the head on Indy this year too.

I love some of Hot Toys' stuff, and I think their quality is usually excellent, but looking at this whole first wave of SW objectively, sometimes I feel like telling Howard:

chosen-one.gif

I'm not hating on them; obviously these are amongst the best 1/6 SW ever made, I just see missed opportunities all over the place. This is more about the license as a whole rather than that Luke.

I love some of Hot Toys' stuff, and I think their quality is usually excellent, but looking at this whole first wave of SW objectively, sometimes I feel like telling Howard:

View attachment 188048

I'm not hating on them; obviously these are amongst the best 1/6 SW ever made, I just see missed opportunities all over the place. This is more about the license as a whole rather than that Luke.

I completely agree. The likenesses are all slightly off and just weird. You'd think they would have put their best work to date behind this license instead of kind of half-assing it. Seriously, Howard, what gives? :huh

I completely agree. The likenesses are all slightly off and just weird. You'd think they would have put their best work to date behind this license instead of kind of half-assing it. Seriously, Howard, what gives? :huh

We may have seen this coming with Bespin Luke; it's an outstanding release any fan would enjoy having on the shelf, in the end held back only by...an idealized portrait.

Yet some Hot Toys portraits are bang-on. They're as mysterious and unpredictable as Sideshow (albeit in different ways sometimes), in terms of art direction.

Back