MAD MAX/ROAD WARRIOR Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MAD MAX/ROAD WARRIOR Thread

Picked this information up about the brace from madmaxcostumes.com.

Legbrace/Caliper: I have confirmed that Max's legbrace is in fact based on what is the Aussie equivalent to 1967-1979 US Ford F-series pick-up tailgate hinges. (Thanks to Bill Brown, Jake Dark, Randy Foos and others for getting me to look into this.) Please don't confuse the F-series hinges with the 1966-1977 Bronco hinges: they are different! The hinges appear to be attached onto an AFO (Ankle Foot Orthosis) brace with 3 philips-head machine screws on each side. According to Randy Foos, the AFO brace is actually on backwards (maybe to keep all buckles to the rear). Two leather straps are attached to the hinges and the AFO brace has its own strap.

There's a pretty nice shot of the ankle portion when he first encounters the gyro captain. Don't know if you can snag a shot, but it would be helpful.

BillyB

Thanks EVILFACE . You may be able to help me here.

If you look at the picture, the bottom of the brace looks to be a U shaped piece of metal attached to the rest of the frame at the ankle. ( pivots on the ankle ) Does it look that way to you ? I can't seem to figure out what the bottom of it connects to.

took another one ...

legbraceref.jpg

Good shots. I wish there was a shot where the brace runs under the boot to see how it is actually connected.

I'm of the opinion that Billyb 's leg brace has the correct fixing at the bottom . From looking at several pictures I've got it seems to be a "U" shaped bracket attached which sits under the arch of the boot.

( of course I would love to have someone prove me wrong ! That way we get definitive proof ! :lol )

LEGbraceattachment.jpg

I think our best chance to see it is the part of the movie after he crawls from the wreckage of his car. I've tried to take grabs from this but they come out all fuzzy and blurred. You can see the bottom of his boot.

Billy B -- any news or update on how your new proto Max outfit is going?

Last we heard, it was looking good. I'm holding out waiting for you to make the clothing + gear available in some sort of kit or set, so I'm very hopeful yours will be the set that completes my Mad Max.

Let us know what's up. :)

After a LONG day of house cleanup work here, in preparation for the arrival of my brother's family, I sat down to my DVD player and threw Mad Max in. Watched it. Then, like a machine, threw Road Warrior in. Watched it too. Then, even watched Beyond Thunderdome. Enjoyed it more than I have in years. SO, what does all this mean?
It means I am unexpectedly stoked on Max now! :rock
So, look out for some stuff soon!

BTW, I had forgotten the opening music of BT, and when it kicks in on Mel's name, I was like, HELL YEAH! I remember seeing that in the theatre in 1985. What memories! If only it didn't get so bogged down in the kid section, and redo the RW chase with weird effect, and have the Gyro Cap recast as the Pilot, a strange overlap of logic, it would have been much better.
RW is still BY FAR the best one. MM is still kinda quirky cool though. "That THING in there is NOT The Goose!" Wild movie! But nothing beats RW. I forgot how cool the Feral Kid is. That scene with the music box between Max and the kid is better than both MM and BT. And Humongous! What a nut! "YOU ALL GONNA DIE NOW!"

Cool stuff. I miss these kinds of movies. Lower budget but higher imagination. It all happens out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but a premise. What I wouldn't give to see ten movies that try to make some overblown plot, with high end effects, etc., get as much done. Totally cool!

Now, where do we find the dog? My upcoming Max custom needs one. Love that lil guy. Gyro Cap too! Best shot in the movie, after the big chase, Gyro rides up, takes off his goggles, smoking a stogie, and just does this eye thing. Max smiles back. After all that. Too damn cool!

Glad to be re-MAXed! ;rock

I completely share your enthusiasm! No doubt everyone who posts in this thread does, too. I watch the series at least twice a year, sometimes more. I love the original (even managed to track down a copy with the original Australian soundtrack some years ago), and Thunderdome... each movie has its own unique style and flavor. But my all time favorite is still the Road Warrior. A true masterpiece of modern storytelling. I never get tired of watching it, not ever! :rock :rock :rock

Btw, I said something about Max's sole companion "Dog" a while back in the thread... but nobody seemed particularly interested. I still think it would be really cool to have the Dog to display alongside Max. I have this figure of him from a resin kit I bought ages ago, which looks to be about the right scale. I'll bet someone on the board could probably sculpt a better one, but I think this one will have to do for the time being.

P1010139.jpg

P1010140.jpg

P1010141-1.jpg

P1010142.jpg

I have that same resin kit, Mudshark. Painted it up long ago, like 1995 or something. Anyway, I still have that dog somewhere so maybe it will work.

And I'm excited to hear Les' enthusiasm regenerated. ROAD WARRIOR really is a classic 80's B-movie -- and I mean that is the best way possible. Like so many back then, TERMINATOR included, they really managed so much with so little. Nowadays it's all CGI and big set pieces and repetative storytelling. Too bad. The 80's had some real vigor and imagination, back when ideas sold tickets, not labels.

Anyway, eager to see what magic comes from the Les studio to commemorate the late, great MAD MAX.

I've been looking for a dog myself . Not much luck so far. I'm still putting pieces together. I'm looking forward to seeing BillyB's leathers, if the standard of work on his legbrace etc is anything to go by we are in for something cool !

And I'm also keen to see what Les comes up with !

Has anyone else received their Max from Spenser yet ? I want to see them painted up ! :D

it's interesting how the Road Warrior seems even more poignant today, with the oil price going up everyday...

Funnily enough I thought the same thing when I was watching it the other day. Lets hope it doesn't come to that ! :lol

Back