Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Weird. Seeing him all blue like that it's almost like he's naked! :horror

Like he's in the buff with just a cape and boots!:monkey4

They just had to screw up the costume!I guess it would have killed them to put the friggin red trunks on and keep it traditional?Just because DC is pissing on Superman it doesnt mean the have to in the film.And what the hell is up with the crap on the sides of his legs?Leave it to hollywood to frig it up!I guess screwing with the costume in the last film wasnt a wake up call!

Not a fan of that costume at all. The S shield looks cool though, kinda like Kingdom Come with yellow instead of black.

Superman and Spider-Man are two instances where the original costume designs are perfect, I don't understand why people keep trying to "fix" them. There's absolutely no need to re-invent the wheel with either.

Superman and Spider-Man are two instances where the original costume designs are perfect, I don't understand why people keep trying to "fix" them. There's absolutely no need to re-invent the wheel with either.

Nah! The red trunks over the costume is too outdated and ridiculous . DC is trying to get rid off that look once and for all. I hope the red shorts never make a return!

As for the movie, they are going with the same look that Superman has now.

action1-variant-jim-lee.jpg

tumblr_lorklu7IrY1qet655o1_500.jpg

I like it!

These 2 would have worked as well:

Mc_G__s_Superman_Movie_Suit__by_BroHawk.jpg

usuperman.jpg

Superman and Spider-Man are two instances where the original costume designs are perfect, I don't understand why people keep trying to "fix" them.

The blue should have been brighter on Spider-Man's costume. I agree that Supe's was perfect though. I could take or leave the S on the cape.

I have always liked and preferred the "traditonal" look of the red and blue tights for Superman. I don't think it's "outdated"! Anytime they try to change the look for him, it makes me like the traditional look even more.

Without the red trunks, it's too much blue imo. Looks like one big nude blue body.
I was thinking the same thing.

Nah! The red trunks over the costume is too outdated and ridiculous .
I'm not completely clear on how skin-tight blue leotard with a billowing red cape is a completely reasonable fashion choice, while the addition of red underoos transforms it into outdated and ridiculous. But then, I'm no connoisseur of fashion.

Does Jim Lee's "cool, modern" lines and whatnot make it better?

I'd be open for a new design, but I can't say I've seen any new ones that are better than the traditional one. Most of them seem too trendy and "cool", meaning they are reflective of the times, and not alien and timeless. (EDIT: I wrote this before seeing what you wrote, karamazov).

These two aren't bad. They look different enough to be from another world. I like the cape on the second one particular because it looks more like a royalty type of cape, which would be the only instance a person would wear a cape so it makes sense. But it's pushing it with the "cool" racing stripes on the ribs.

One more annoyance for me: these Supes are drawn way to detailed with the muscles! You see absolutely every single muscle fiber, except miraculously not in his junk! All of a sudden, the unstable molecules that make up his costume that cling and define every pore in his body, now are vague and flat, making him look like a naked Ken doll! :nana:

In those shots you can't see the gold belt very well - thankfully the belt isn't red - the yellow or gold is needed I think. But I do miss the red trunks - it doesn't really make real world sense - but neither does the cape.

Superman haaaaaaas to have the briefs. He is a golden age era Hero. He is supposed to be retro-looking guy. Outdated? He's been wearing the same suit (ignoring subtle changes) for decades now. I dunno, I just feel if Superman loses his red trunks, we are "Dark Knighting" every single costume.

One more annoyance for me: these Supes are drawn way to detailed with the muscles! You see absolutely every single muscle fiber, except miraculously not in his junk! All of a sudden, the unstable molecules that make up his costume that cling and define every pore in his body, now are vague and flat, making him look like a naked Ken doll! :nana:
:lol That's a good point.

Here's Warren Ellis and John Cassaday's interpretation of a truly alien Superman baby:

superman.jpg

Comes out of one of the more depressing comics I've read in my life.

I'd be open for a new design, but I can't say I've seen any new ones that are better than the traditional one. Most of them seem too trendy and "cool", meaning they are reflective of the times, and not alien and timeless. (EDIT: I wrote this before seeing what you wrote, karamazov).

These two aren't bad. They look different enough to be from another world. I like the cape on the second one particular because it looks more like a royalty type of cape, which would be the only instance a person would wear a cape so it makes sense. But it's pushing it with the "cool" racing stripes on the ribs.

Lol, you must not read comics much to say that, or just have a really different taste than the average comic reader, this pertaining the muscle definition. :lol But I agree with you, anything thats too trendy and not purposeful, will seem stylish. That's why I like Superman's costume, its simple and timeless.

Nah! The red trunks over the costume is too outdated and ridiculous . DC is trying to get rid off that look once and for all. I hope the red shorts never make a return!

As for the movie, they are going with the same look that Superman has now.

action1-variant-jim-lee.jpg

I really like this one. It's just one small change, the red belt replaces the need for the undies.

Lol, you must not read comics much to say that, or just have a really different taste than the average comic reader, this pertaining the muscle definition. :lol But I agree with you, anything thats too trendy and not purposeful, will seem stylish. That's why I like Superman's costume, its simple and timeless.

:lol I think I'm just aging myself! That more intricate muscle definition came about around the Jim Lee/McFarlane/Liefield 90s era, which is around when my interest in comics started to wane. I'm all for muscles, but I like them a little more subtle, like John Byrne, the Romitas, the Bucemas, Alan Davis, etc. Although I do love Chris Bachalo's work, and he's kinda current, isn't he?

My only issue with the new Comic suit is the collar... How does he hide it with the his Clark Kent suits? Seems like that wasn't thought through in the design process. Also, I wish the belt buckle was still a yellow oval. That's all!

Back