Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

Bryan Singer had the right idea. Donner's Superman was the perfect origin story, so why try to fix what wasn't broken? Just use that as the jumping point and go in a different direction. Unfortunately Singer's wasn't where most people wanted to go. Even if this film is brilliant, it will still feel a remake of the original with a darker shade of paint, and less of a sense of wonder (I'm sorry, but TASM really burned me when it comes to origin reboots.)

My thing is with fifty to seventy years of exciting stories, I'm tired of seeing the same origins redone every other decade. I swear, if the next Batman opens up in the alley behind the theater, I'm losing my ____.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:exactly: Hopefully that's taken care of in the first half hour in MoS. I can guarantee we'll see it in the Batman reboot again. But as I've said, especially with these icons, the origins can be told in the opening credits so there's really no reason not to do so and just cut to the real story.

Time for a Superman movie to surpass Superman 1 and 2.

Way overdue.

Will always love the original 2, but lets do this.

Don't know if Sucker Punch Snyder is the main to do that though, Singer sure wasn't.

It's a all order since fans are still biased as far as Reeve is concerned. The man epitomized Superman.

I wish they'd release the stuff at SDCC simultaneously on the net man - the Man of Steel FB page has had ____ all on it since forever and now theres like 2 new pics. Is it run by a homeless dude or something? I mean seriously.

I wish they'd release the stuff at SDCC simultaneously on the net man - the Man of Steel FB page has had ____ all on it since forever and now theres like 2 new pics. Is it run by a homeless dude or something? I mean seriously.

Yup, me. :wave

Can you spare a cup of coffee and a dollar mister. :pray:

Bryan Singer had the right idea. Donner's Superman was the perfect origin story, so why try to fix what wasn't broken? Just use that as the jumping point and go in a different direction. Unfortunately Singer's wasn't where most people wanted to go. Even if this film is brilliant, it will still feel a remake of the original with a darker shade of paint, and less of a sense of wonder (I'm sorry, but TASM really burned me when it comes to origin reboots.)

My thing is with fifty to seventy years of exciting stories, I'm tired of seeing the same origins redone every other decade. I swear, if the next Batman opens up in the alley behind the theater, I'm losing my ____.

Singer did not have the right idea. Not only were there way too many plot holes in Superman Returns, but not one thing in that film made any sense. Bryan Singer is great directot, but he needs to stay the hell away from comic book films.

Donner's origin story was not perfect and if given the right script a great director could do better.

I'm suprised you didn't lile TASM. It wasn't the best Spiderman film to date, but pretty much every aspect of his origin was handled better.

Singer did not have the right idea. Not only were there way too many plot holes in Superman Returns, but not one thing in that film made any sense. Bryan Singer is great directot, but he needs to stay the hell away from comic book films.

Donner's origin story was not perfect and if given the right script a great director could do better.

I'm suprised you didn't lile TASM. It wasn't the best Spiderman film to date, but pretty much every aspect of his origin was handled better.

While it may have been difficult for you to comprehend, I didn't think it was that hard to understand that the film was a continuation of Lester's Superman II. It all made perfect sense, people were just burned out on seeing Superman vs. Lex, save for the plane rescue in the beginning and the climax, an overall lack of Superman being Superman. Superman's son, which also made sense considering Superman banged Lois in Superman II, didn't really help matters given he came out of nowhere and it was fairly obvious to the audience that he was Superman's child from the get-go making what should've been a OMG scene far too predictable.

Singer's take had as much right with it as it did wrong..

Wrong.... Lex again...turning Supes into a super stalker (that scene of him hanging around Lane's house were just creepy), the mousy, brittle Bosworth as Lois...

Right...good production, Routh was good.

Just a clunky, but well-made mess....

Snyder's version will hopefully offer more than a warmed-over origin story and too many slo-mo action scenes....we'll see...

While it may have been difficult for you to comprehend, I didn't think it was that hard to understand that the film was a continuation of Lester's Superman II. It all made perfect sense, people were just burned out on seeing Superman vs. Lex, save for the plane rescue in the beginning and the climax, an overall lack of Superman being Superman. Superman's son, which also made sense considering Superman banged Lois in Superman II, didn't really help matters given he came out of nowhere and it was fairly obvious to the audience that he was Superman's child from the get-go making what should've been a OMG scene far too predictable.

And people wonder why I can't just ignore you. I never said anything about not "getting" the film. I know exactly what Singer was trying to do.

Yes, it was obvious to the audience that he was Superman's child and that's the biggest problem with that film. So the audience knows, but Pulitzer Prize winning Lois Lane doesn't?

Singer = :cuckoo:

Besides, if Superman left Earth for 5 years, Lois wouldn't survive long enough for him to get back. She's always in way over her head.

And people wonder why I can't just ignore you. I never said anything about not "getting" the film. I know exactly what Singer was trying to do.

Yes, it was obvious to the audience that he was Superman's child and that's the biggest problem with that film. So the audience knows, but Pulitzer Prize winning Lois Lane doesn't?

Singer = :cuckoo:

Besides, if Superman left Earth for 5 years, Lois wouldn't survive long enough for him to get back. She's always in way over her head.

Seriously, is English your first language? :dunno

You sad, and I quote, "not one thing in that film made sense." That statement pretty much means you didn't understand it. Now you're saying the opposite.

You sad, and I quote, "not one thing in that film made sense." Now you're saying the opposite. Seriously, is English your first language? :huh

You know exaclty what mean. You're just doing what you always do.

Superman leaves the only place he's been able to call home to search for other Kryptonians. When he gets back his behavior is totally unlike the character and his powers are all out wack. He gets his ass handed to him on the same Kryptonite island that he later throws into space. He still has a piece of the Kryptonite inside him at the hospital, but for some reason they can't stick him with a needle.

Lois has a child out of wedlock and doesn't who the father is, even after the kid pitches a ____ing piano across the room.

Lex Luthor gets out prison because Superman's not around to testify?

Yep, everything makes perfect sense.

You know exaclty what mean. You're just doing what you always do.

Really, no. Your post was what made no sense...

Superman leaves the only place he's been able to call home to search for other Kryptonians. When he gets back his behavior is totally unlike the character

Was it? I thought he acted just like Superman/Clark, from being Clark at the office, to stuttering when saying "hello" to Lois on the plane after rescuing her. :dunno

and his powers are all out wack.

I think you're mixing this up with Spider-Man 2. His powers were all perfectly intact. He saves the shuttle, catches the plane, looks through Lois to see her lungs, etc.

He gets his ass handed to him on the same Kryptonite island that he later throws into space.

Because he had a piece of kryptonite inside of him.

He still has a piece of the Kryptonite inside him at the hospital, but for some reason they can't stick him with a needle.

Lois pulled it out on the plane and tossed it into the ocean. Did you miss/forget that part?

Lois has a child out of wedlock and doesn't who the father is, even after the kid pitches a ____ing piano across the room.

Because at the end of Superman II, Clark erased her memory, hence, she'd have zero idea she boinked him. Or did you miss/forget that part too?

Lex Luthor gets out prison because Superman's not around to testify?

Happens all the time when mobs/gangs have witnesses murdered. You do realize this, right?

Yep, everything makes perfect sense.

To people who know what they're talking about, yes, absolutely. :huh

Really, no. Your post was what made no sense...

Was it? I thought he acted just like Superman/Clark, from being Clark at the office, to stuttering when saying "hello" to Lois on the plane after rescuing her. :dunno

I think you're mixing this up with Spider-Man 2. His powers were all perfectly intact. He saves the shuttle, catches the plane, looks through Lois to see her lungs, etc.

Because he had a piece of kryptonite inside of him.

Lois pulled it out on the plane and tossed it into the ocean. Did you miss/forget that part?

Because at the end of Superman II, Clark erased her memory, hence, she'd have zero idea she boinked him. Or did you miss/forget that part too?

Happens all the time when mobs/gangs have witnesses murdered. You do realize this, right?

To people who know what they're talking about, yes, absolutely. :huh

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Singer ruined Superman. If F'ed it up bad. Its taken this long to get a reboot. Singer was supposed to do a sequel to his mess. Glad Hollywood stopped that. Hopefully this new flick does some justice.

Correction, ruined both Superman AND X-Men :slap

Only in your little mind. :lol It was after he left that things became turdy. :monkey1 The fact that First Class includes the first film and United in it's continuity but does away with Last Stand and Origins pretty much verifies this. :huh

Last edited:

Singer did not have the right idea.

I meant he was smart by using Donner's origin as a backstory. He also had the right idea to keep the iconic trappings such as the theme and imagery. Everything else is debatable.

Really?! I'm tired of posting my critiques of this film. It was a cashgrab with none of the heart or wonder of the first two Raimi films. Everything in the original's plot was handled better from the character motivation or emotional moments. In the new film, Uncle Ben's death had no impact on me, and Aunt May was a non-entity. Despite having less screentime, both characters had a far greater impression on me in the original.

And the villain trying to turn everyone into lizard people?! Give me a ____ing break. I'll take Willem Dafoe in his so-called Power Rangers armor any day of the week.

Only in your little mind. :lol It was after he left that things became turdy. :monkey1 The fact that First Class includes the first film and United in it's continuity but do away with Last Stand and Origins pretty much verify this. :huh

You misunderstand. I mean that if he hadn't left for superman, Last Stand wouldn't have been such a turd. Not to mention Cykes wouldn't have been killed off the play that dude in Superman returns.

X1 & X2 were great, the he left and it went in the crapper until First Class

Back