Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel/Nolan's Superman

I made this up. I know it's terrible.

I'm so excited that Zach Snyder is directing this. He's got a real flair for visual style, and he really knows how to shoot action. Plus, the music he uses is always great.

Can we now change the title of the thread to Zach Snyders Superman.

Can we now change the title of the thread to Zach Snyders Superman.

Is it really *that* big of a deal? :dunno

You already asked that on another page and a discussion followed. If it gets changed, it gets changed. If not, life moves on.

Seems Snyder was NOT WB's first choice, but a choice of expediency...

from Slashfilm via Vulture...

Vulture also reports some troubling news: the reason Warner Bros. supposedly picked Snyder for Man of Steel is that David Goyer’s script is a bit of a mess as it was rushed, and Snyder is looked at a man who can get the movie completed for 2012. You see, the studio doesn’t have time to go through extensive rewrites as they need to get a new Superman movie in production by 2011 or they’ll lose the rights to make said film.

Warner Bros. needs someone who won’t spend months or even years trying to get it just right (i.e. Aronofsky), because time is the one thing they don’t have … We’re told that Snyder was not really Warner’s first choice to direct Superman, but that a director needed to be hired imminently. Privately, even Snyder has confided to agency sources that the current Superman script needs work, but clearly Warner Bros. believes he can get it done faster than Aronofsky

That is actually very true. An "artsy" director would want time to produce something, I have a feeling that Aronofsky would have wanted another three years to produce something. The article is a bit off, WB/DC have until 2013 to get a Superman film off of the ground before losing the rights but I'm sure they are rushing to make sure in case something goes wrong.

I had a feeling that whatever Goyer wrote would be rewritten as is the status quo (look at the Batman series for example) and hopefully they go to the actual books for the filler.

Who would get the license if not WB/DC? The Salkinds? I can't find an article detailing the story behind the movie rights...

PS - This is a really interesting read on the production of the original film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(film)#Production I didn't know any of that.

Muhamad Ali as supes?!? (cites "You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman", anyone see this?)

The rights would revert back to the estates of Siegel and Schuster, the creators. Members of the Siegel estate have already said that they'd like to send it to a place where he would be the spotlight. What they could take and couldn't was detailed in the original articles about the split.

According to Variety, the Siegels have recaptured the rights to the first two weeks of the daily Superman newspaper strips, and portions of Action Comics and Superman comics. They apparently now control all depictions of Superman’s origin story, which means they now own Krypton, its fiery destruction, Jor-El and Lora, and Kal El. In 2008, the Siegels recaptured the rights to the Superman character (which includes his costume and his alter-ego of Clark Kent), Lois Lane, the Daily Planet, its gruff editor, and their love triangle. DC still owns Jimmy Olson, his ability to fly, Lex Luthor, kryptonite, and Superman’s expanded powers and origins.

https://themovieblog.com/2009/08/superman-rights-get-chopped-up

https://blog.moviefone.com/2009/08/14/the-siegels-win-back-pieces-of-krypton/

and I was wrong, they have until next year to have a Superman film in full production....2013 was this:

If you thought Superman's prospects were ugly then, just wait until 2013 when things get really serious. All rights revert to the Siegel and Shuster heirs. That will allow them to shop Superman to whatever studio and television outlet they want, and it will deprive DC of all but Jimmy, Lex, and some of his powers.

I can understand them needing it to get done quick, just hope the movie is good.

is there actually a likelihood they would not continue with DC? seems it would be best for all to continue the relationship.

I'm sure they would. DC needs Superman and they will rape DC for lots of $$$.

Re: The Man of Steel

if DC couldn't afford it, I find it highly unlikely anyone else could either, especially being that DC would hold so much of the character.

I can see an outlandish proposal from the estates, then DC laughing at them, declining, estate shops around, find no buyers at their price, and maybe a year later come back to DC with tail between legs.

^^^ ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
The Man of Steel is back! Thanks. :D

I'm just happy this is going forward. I trust the screenplay will be in good shape before Production begins next year. Chris is a great Writer as is Jon and there's plenty of help available for polishing.

I'm sure they would. DC needs Superman and they will rape DC for lots of $$$.

That is what is comes down to actually. The reason for the push and the threats is over royalities and how much they are getting. Both families are pissed because Superman isn't the cash cow it was 20 years ago and in recent times DC is really trying to create a catalog of media stars which is taking the spotlight off of the big 3. They've said they'll take Superman elsewhere if they don't get what they've demanded, so there is a very real possiblity they'll take it if WB/DC won't pay. The thing is imagine the movie is a huge success, fantastically done but WB/DC scoffs at how much they want, they could take it elsewhere and kill the franchise...

if they don't, superman will be completely unusable in any form

Not really. All the basic components are owned by the families up to Lex, Jimmy and I believe The Daily Planet, probably Metropolis although it isn't mentioned. They could take it all and "reboot" it somewhere else without much hassle. What would be really a blow to the character is that the "S" shield and in various formats from the Animated to the Film to the TV shows are all owned and copyrighted by WB/DC so if they do take the character the symbol that is recognizable all over the world wouldn't go with them. That being said as Evilface posted I'm sure the families will get their way and just rape WB for everything they've got.

Honestly this is less distressing that the Kirby family going after his characters quietly as well...

Back