Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as good as Wilma's, but a toe is toe.

picture.php

Some toes are better than others, Dr. Theopolis.

I accidentally deleted my earlier post, but I do think Crowe was much better than Brando, even though I have a nostalgic connection to Brando's performance. It is a bit godly and "magical," but the one thing MOS really fails at--demonstrating heart--is one thing Crowe did much better than Brando IMO. Could well be the case that Brando did more considering the relative effort :lol But the performance is the performance, and based on that I just don't think Brando matches up to what Crowe did. Of course, part of that is no doubt the writing and direction.

:exactly::goodpost:

Agreed, Brando's performance was bland IMO.

But overall Costner Pa is way more heartwarming and fatherly than Ford's IMO.
Glenn Ford does a lot without smashing you over the head with it. He's just a terrific actor across the board, and was a great father figure for Reeve in my eyes. Costner was fine, but was just a slight tweak on characters he's played over and over in the course of his career (Field of Dreams, Prince of Thieves, Waterworld :lol ). He had some scenes that were supposed to be really emotional but like most of MOS the supposed drama just felt like window dressing over a pretty spare emotional center. It didn't ring true to me or really connect. Felt like empty platitudes.

Crowe was actually one of my favorite things about MoS. I liked his silly Jedi door-closing ghost bit. But that's probably because he had way more dialogue and character than Superman.
Yeah, Crowe was the best thing about this movie to me (the only really good thing?). You bring up a good point thought--maybe it's because he had more character development than the primary protagonist :lol

That makes absolutely no sense, either you care for a character or you don't, how can a CGI scene "trick you" into thinking you care for a character?

I cared more for this Superman than Reeve's in Superman 1, and also the rest of the characters.
It's not as confusing as you think.

The images, the dialoge, the music, all give the appearance of heart, and soul, but it's all fake. None of it's genuine. But your brain thinks it is because of these things.

Jye's right. The brain is a funny thing. Hence why an hour and a half of lectures and uplifting speeches do not correlate with punching and mass death.

Glenn Ford does a lot without smashing you over the head with it. He's just a terrific actor across the board, and was a great father figure for Reeve in my eyes. Costner was fine, but was just a slight tweak on characters he's played over and over in the course of his career (Field of Dreams, Prince of Thieves, Waterworld :lol ). He had some scenes that were supposed to be really emotional but like most of MOS the supposed drama just felt like window dressing over a pretty spare emotional center. It didn't ring true to me or really connect. Felt like empty platitudes.

I'm really not judging the actors for anything else other than this movie franchise, I sound like a broken record because I liked both characters and both actors, but Costner scenes were a lot more satisfying to me.

If I had to choose one death scene over the other, I'd pick S1 scene, but not by much, still think Coster does an overall better job.

The images, the dialoge, the music, all give the appearance of heart, and soul, but it's all fake. None of it's genuine. But your brain thinks it is because of these things.

Jye's right. The brain is a funny thing. Hence why an hour and a half of lectures and uplifting speeches do not correlate with punching and mass death.

MOS is a big deal in the sense that we're seeing them fight as we had always imagined for the first time.

But that's it.

It is. The thing is, the movie isn't about the effects. It's about the resonance of it. Like I said 100 times before. The themes, characters, all hold true today.

Man of Steel, really will not have that lasting impact.

I'm really not judging the actors for anything else other than this movie franchise, I sound like a broken record because I liked both characters and both actors, but Costner scenes were a lot more satisfying to me.

If I had to choose one death scene over the other, I'd pick S1 scene, but not by much, still think Coster does an overall better job.
In full disclosure I, uh. . .think I went to the little boys room during the scene where Costner must have bought it :eek:

I saw Costner coming on the screen again and thought to myself, "yep, this would be a good time to go."

It is. The thing is, the movie isn't about the effects. It's about the resonance of it. Like I said 100 times before. The themes, characters, all hold true today.

All I remember are the incredible flying scenes, his cape blowing in the wind, fights and Faora's eyes and accent.

What I remember from S1 are my feelings for what the characters were going thru when watching it.

Yeah, the FX are old, oh well.

In fairness, I wonder if any of the superhero movies we see today will, though. The original Superman was the first big time, legitimate comic movie made. Just due to historical importance it's got a lasting impact. Batman ('89) has the benefit of being made by a film auteur, and so it has artistic value. The Marvel U movies may be somewhat popular in the next 10 or 15 years due to the charisma of the actors, and the appealing nature of the action and stories. But I don't think any recent comic films--apart from maybe the Nolan Bat movies--are particularly "timeless" or anything.

That's because it's not fake, it does correlate because the mass death isn't Supe's responsibility in MoS, that hour of uplifting speeches and lectures leads to Supes' both motivation and doubt for saving manking.

It's has certainly more heart and correlation than the scene where Lois dies in S1 where despite Jor-El's insistence to not interfere with human history ala "Lion King", contradicts the scene that follows, removing the little empathy I felt when Supes found Lois dead, without mentioning the fact that he cried more for Lois than for his own father. :dunno

Like I said, nostalgia armor.

That is pretty dang hilarious. A bagel talking to Superman using electronic beeps :rotfl Oh, Brando. . .

Yup, it's great.

Bagel Kryptonians talking to each other in subtitle beeps and sending their son in a human form would have been better than Matrix babies and codex genetic skulls. What a genius. :lol

Back