Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except that the practical reason for Bats changing his costume was no doubt the pursuit of more toy options :lol

The biggest shock about Dark Knight Rises, to me, was the fact that the Bat suit didn't change much from the previous film. I fully expect Superman's suit to change in future films just like Captain America's suit keeps changing.

I was specifically talking about the change in design from batman begins to the dark knight. The last change was gratuitous like the rest. The trend is bad and needs to end, especially with the "REALISM" they are going for.

Superman and Thor have no practical reason to change their suit. Cap really doesn't either, its the shield that he needs for protection.

Characters like Black Widow and Hawkeye (or cough/puke ironman) it is more understandable because they could need too for practical reasons just like batman

Last edited:
Yeah, in Begins, batman wanted to be able to turn his head :lol and it did change for practicality and in TDKR he added even more protection, he was a walking tank with those shoulder pads and that armor.

I hope they don't change it, Nolan's batman did it for justifiable reasons but now it seems all hero's do it just for the hell of it. If superheros existed in real life they wouldn't be changing their suit for stylistic reasons so corporations can sell toys. They would do it for practical reasons like batman did.

Police never change the color of their uniforms. What's the ****ing point.

Yeah. I really like this costume. If anything maybe brighten the colors a bit.

There were different suits. The "hero" suits (like the one in the pic) were layers of urethane over spandex and cloth. They made only 3 of those, I believe. Those will hold up over time.

They'll make new ones for the next film, of course. Probably because the design will change some.

Did some of the suits not have those full neck lining things?

I thought I was going crazy, but in some scenes they looked to extend all the way and other shots I was thinking they were shorter.

Yeah. I really like this costume. If anything maybe brighten the colors a bit.

Me too. :1-1:

Which is weird, because before seeing it, I thought it would be a detracting point like the ASM Spidey suit became, but once the flick got rolling I didn't even notice the lack of red undies, etc.. then again thinking back I don't think the Spidey suit actually bothered me much until people started arguing over stupid crap like what color its eyes were. :dunno

Superman and Thor have no practical reason to change their suit. Cap really doesn't either, its the shield that he needs for protection.
Saying that, there is no practical reason for these guys to be wearing colorful, flamboyant outfits to begin with. I don't mind filmmakers not coming up with some "practical" rationale for giving characters new suits, considering that their real motivation in going to be selling more toys anyway 9/10 times. Any story-related explanation is going to be secondary.

Saying that, there is no practical reason for these guys to be wearing colorful, flamboyant outfits to begin with. I don't mind filmmakers not coming up with some "practical" rationale for giving characters new suits, considering that their real motivation in going to be selling more toys anyway 9/10 times. Any story-related explanation is going to be secondary.

Based on the movies:

Bruce used the bat suit as a symbol to instill fear in criminals.

Superman's suit in Man of steel was a representation of his heritage and the family he never knew. He wears it out of honor and because the symbol means hope.

Both to me make sense given the context of the material

It's not hard to create a post-hoc rationale, but the real reason these things look the way they look is for aesthetics and decisions made many years ago by comic creators. For example, Superman has an "S" on the chest to stand for "Superman." In the new movie though (and the previous ones) it is not supposed to be an "S," but a Kryptonian symbol. It's an explanation. Not a very convincing one, just like decisions to change costumes, but I (and most of the audience) don't really care. These are comic book characters, they should look interesting and exhibit some variety now and then. If filmmakers come up with a reasonable justification for it (like Batman's neck movement), then all the better, but it isn't necessary. I want guys to wear capes and colorful outfits even though there isn't a legitimate practical explanation for their doing so. If a suit has aesthetic drawbacks like Avengers Cap, then I want them to tweak it, etc.

Seriously, Zack. WTF?

I stumbled upon this in the Making Of book. In all seriousness, Irish, was Zack high at any point during the preproduction process?

They did take a seal and then digitally manipulate it to come up with that design (the wings and other elements were inspired by dragonflies).

I don't get the rhetorical nature of your question. Is it just the random nature of combining animals like that as the basis for a creature design?

I think in the case if the dark knight trilogy, the second suit was the one Nolan kind of always wanted. The Begins suit had a lot of similarities to the Burton suits and I think there were quotes from him at the time that it was an aspect of the original films he wanted to keep.

I think the second suit was created to fit everything they learned while making the first film.

They did take a seal and then digitally manipulate it to come up with that design (the wings and other elements were inspired by dragonflies).

I don't get the rhetorical nature of your question. Is it just the random nature of combining animals like that as the basis for a creature design?
It's just funny how he words it. Reminds me of Kevin Smith's story of Jon Peters mandating Supes fight "a giant ****ing spider." I can just imagine Snyder sitting around an office with Warner execs saying, "Jor-El needs to ride this giant seal-slash-dragonfly. The kids'll love it!"

It's just funny how he words it. Reminds me of Kevin Smith's story of Jon Peters mandating Supes fight "a giant ****ing spider." I can just imagine Snyder sitting around an office with Warner execs saying, "Jor-El needs to ride this giant seal-slash-dragonfly. The kids'll love it!"

:lol:lol:lol

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That's exactly how it works in my head.

Yes, it was ret-conned that way, influenced by the Reeve film, but that was not the original intention.

So they gave it a dual meaning, in earth is an S that stands for Supes and for Superman himself it's a coat of arms of his house.

Sure it was retconned, but it is way more interesting that way.

I hope they don't change it, Nolan's batman did it for justifiable reasons but now it seems all hero's do it just for the hell of it. If superheros existed in real life they wouldn't be changing their suit for stylistic reasons so corporations can sell toys. They would do it for practical reasons like batman did.

Police never change the color of their uniforms. What's the ****ing point.

:exactly::lecture:exactly:

He actually fought a giant mechanical spider in MOS. :lol

Back