Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig action and monumental destruction when there's a purpose behind it. But in those shows that you mention, especially the timm superman show, he's trying to minimize the destruction and is not just bashing for because its cool. If that's all you got from those shows then I guess you got the wrong message about the character and Superman is not your type of hero.

In JLU when he knocks Darkseid through several buildings, I do not call that minimizing the damage.As a matter of fact before he does it, his exact line is, "What we have here is a rare oppurtunity for me to cut loose, and show you just how powerful I truly am." It's all for not as Darkseid catches him in the agony matrix. But yeah, he was actively causing damage to Metropolis. He's nowhere near that flippant in MoS. Zod is keeping the fight in the city. Kal at one point loses Zod completely only to be blindsided by Zod coming through a building. Then being punched himself through several. He isnt just destroying the city because he can.

In JLU when he knocks Darkseid through several buildings, I do not call that minimizing the damage.As a matter of fact before he does it, his exact line is, "What we have here is a rare oppurtunity for me to cut loose, and show you just how powerful I truly am." It's all for not as Darkseid catches him in the agony matrix. But yeah, he was actively causing damage to Metropolis. He's nowhere near that flippant in MoS. Zod is keeping the fight in the city. Kal at one point loses Zod completely only to be blindsided by Zod coming through a building. Then being punched himself through several. He isnt just destroying the city because he can.

:lecture:exactly::lecture

Exactly. In the animated shows he's more directly responsible for the destruction than in MOS, where it's basically Zod doing all the damage.

Now they put the stuff in a movie (where he's not even as directly responsible) and all of sudden it's "Superman is a mass murderer!! Waaah! Mommy!!!"

I guess live action fantasy just makes people poo their pants with this stuff. :lol

Last edited:
What was fun about Man of Steel? Of all the words I would use to describe this movie, fun was not one if them. Please elaborate.

*big sigh* Please stop acting as if MoS were "Saw" or "Hostel."

This film was tremendous fun, not to mention many parts of it were awe-inspiring: how often do we see someone throw a locomotive?!! This film was worth it for one reason in particular: this is one of the FEW FILMS where we saw a female who was every bit as powerful as her male compatriots and opponent. [And it certainly was not "The Avengers." Here, here's a random acrobatic chick. This team with demigods and super-soldiers on it sure can use her physical prowess.... or not....]

I am honestly sorry that you did not find it fun. I am sure sooner or later you will find a film that you find fun, but that I find to be a total snoozefest - or even repellent.

Point being, no one person can win them all. Your turn will come around again.

This film was tremendous fun, not to mention many parts of it were awe-inspiring: how often do we see someone throw a locomotive?!! This film was worth it for one reason in particular: this is one of the FEW FILMS where we saw a female who was every bit as powerful as her male compatriots and opponent. [And it certainly was not "The Avengers." Here, here's a random acrobatic chick. This team with demigods and super-soldiers on it sure can use her physical prowess.... or not....]

I am honestly sorry that you did not find it fun. I am sure sooner or later you will find a film that you find fun, but that I find to be a total snoozefest - or even repellent.

Faora was awesome. I love how she is shown to be the superior fighter to Kal. She mops the floor with him at IHOP. And if that wasn't enough, when she faces the Colonel, and he pulls the knife and she pulls hers, I had tremndous respect for her. She was a warrior in every sense. I want her actress for Wonder Woman.

:lecture:exactly::lecture

Exactly. In the animated shows he's more directly responsible for the destruction than in MOS, where it's basically Zod doing all the damage.

Now they put the stuff in a movie and all of sudden it's "Superman is a mass murderer!! Waaah! Mommy!!!"

I guess live action fantasy just makes people poo their pants with this stuff. :lol

When he fought Darkseid, superman just had his cousin taken away from him and Darkseid would not let up. Or were you referring to the time when Darkseid brainwashed him and killed his friend? In both situations the character has already been established as wanting to do good. In Man of Steel no one knows anything about this version of Superman. He wants to help, but he's knocking guys through buildings. It sends the wrong message to the people he's trying to "help". I'm sorry if you two don't get it but that how he comes across.

I'm sorry, but I guess many of you don't know characterization at all. Like I said I love a good action film as much as anyone but when it is done correctly.

I think you might need to see the movie again. Superman was not the one directly damaging the buildings, whereas in JLU (and other animated shows) he literally throws/punches characters through buildings in Metropolis constantly and directly destroys cars and other property himself. It's much more explicit than in MAN OF STEEL. People are absolutely maligning the movie unfairly on this point, especially in comparison to the Timm stuff.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJ2Bd41zsw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJ2Bd41zsw[/ame]

When he fought Darkseid, superman just had his cousin taken away from him and Darkseid would not let up. Or were you referring to the time when Darkseid brainwashed him and killed his friend? In both situations the character has already been established as wanting to do good. In Man of Steel no one knows anything about this version of Superman. He wants to help, but he's knocking guys through buildings. It sends the wrong message to the people he's trying to "help". I'm sorry if you two don't get it but that how he comes across.

I'm referring to the Justice League Unlimited second to last episode, the last episode being the amazing Epilogue! In this one Luthor tries to clone Brainiac. He instead brings Darkseid back. Darkseid goes to Earth and wreck ****. At one point Batman saves Luthor from the Omega Beams. Darkseid tries to hit Batman, who doges them himself. Dearkseid is impressed but thinks it's all for naught as none of them are his equal. Superman says Batman will never quit, but he(Superman) has a different problem. "I feel like i live in a world made of cardboard. Always having to be careful, and never lose control because someone could get hurt. But you can take it, can't you big man?"

This all stems from Superman trying to kill Darkseid earlier in the season, but Batman stops him by boom tubing him away. Darkseid is killed in an explosion, but calls Superman a loser for not finishing him. Batman assures Superman Darkseid could not survive the explosion, Superman angrily responds "You don't know everything."

I'm referring to the Justice League Unlimited second to last episode, the last episode being the amazing Epilogue! In this one Luthor tries to clone Brainiac. He instead brings Darkseid back. Darkseid goes to Earth and wreck ****. At one point Batman saves Luthor from the Omega Beams. Darkseid tries to hit Batman, who doges them himself. Dearkseid is impressed but thinks it's all for naught as none of them are his equal. Superman says Batman will never quit, but he(Superman) has a different problem. "I feel like i live in a world made of cardboard. Always having to be careful, and never lose control because someone could get hurt. But you can take it, can't you big man?"

This all stems from Superman trying to kill Darkseid earlier in the season, but Batman stops him by boom tubing him away. Darkseid is killed in an explosion, but calls Superman a loser for not finishing him. Batman assures Superman Darkseid could not survive the explosion, Superman angrily responds "You don't know everything."

:lecture:lecture:lecture

That was great stuff.

And he isn't saving anyone! He just killed all those people, why didn't he send Darkseid to the Phantom Zone, or take the fight out of MEtropolis???? Why is Superman not caring?

I know!!! He didn't even stop to save a cat out of a tree or walk an old lady across the street. What an evil twat!

There's a difference between a colorful cartoon that never shows anyone getting killed, and a grey, semi-realistic looking movie that shows people being sucked into the air, slammed into the concrete, and running from the collapsing buildings.
And I don't remember any Timm battles culminating in Supes breaking someone's neck with his barehands, making the previously 40 minutes seem pointless (why didn't he do that earlier to save God knows how many lives?)

I agree, it was great stuff because everything was established. Superman was good Darkseid was bad. No need to question.

Yeah, because in MAN OF STEEL it's so very hard to tell if Zod is bad and Superman is good. :monkey1

Zod is only threatening every single human on the planet. How dare Superman try and stop him without also stopping to save a Starbucks.

:slap

There's a difference between a colorful cartoon that never shows anyone getting killed, and a grey, semi-realistic looking movie that shows people being sucked into the air, slammed into the concrete, and running from the collapsing buildings.

The animated stuff had the very same thing.... people running from collapsing buildings and being tossed all over the place. They even had MORE destruction. But I guess because they have more vibrant color in their palette that makes a difference.

But thanks for proving my point, which is it's a-okay for kids cartoons but not okay for live action movies. Even though they're both pure fantasy. Got it.

I agree, it was great stuff because everything was established. Superman was good Darkseid was bad. No need to question.

MoS: Superman = Good Zod = Bad

I think most humans realized Zod wasn't going to be their friend when his world engine was crushing them beneath what I estimate to be close to 100x the gravity of Earth. That and him speaking of our world suffering cosequences if we didn;t do as he asked. That was my big tip off that he wasn't going to invite me over for a marathon of BSG.

Back