Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this Superman was supposed to be "gritty and realistic"?!

;)

You never heard me say that.

In comparison to the previous films, sure. But it's not like this is ****ing SEVEN or something. It's still Superman and still fantasy. It's not even as "realistic" as the Nolan Batfilms.

There's a difference between a colorful cartoon that never shows anyone getting killed, and a grey, semi-realistic looking movie that shows people being sucked into the air, slammed into the concrete, and running from the collapsing buildings.
And I don't remember any Timm battles culminating in Supes breaking someone's neck with his barehands, making the previously 40 minutes seem pointless (why didn't he do that earlier to save God knows how many lives?)

Where were all you people when IM was leading flying space lizards THROUGH buildings last year? Where were you win a flying space lizard crashed into Grand Central Station? Or when Thor and the Destroyer destroyed a small town? Or when Batman was flippantly wrecking cop cars to save his sort of but not really girlfriend?

Your'e right Timm never did anything that sick. Except having The Joker torture and mutate Tim Drake, then have Tim Drake shoot Joker in the chest while laughing/crying. Or all the people who died with that twisted Joker grin. But it was a cartoon so it's cool?

Where were all you people when IM was leading flying space lizards THROUGH buildings last year? Where were you win a flying space lizard crashed into Grand Central Station? Or when Thor and the Destroyer destroyed a small town? Or when Batman was flippantly wrecking cop cars to save his sort of but not really girlfriend?

Your'e right Timm never did anything that sick. Except having The Joker torture and mutate Tim Drake, then have Tim Drake shoot Joker in the chest while laughing/crying. Or all the people who died with that twisted Joker grin. But it was a cartoon so it's cool?

:lecture:exactly::goodpost:

You wake up, go outside see two guy punching people through buildings, your going to tell me that the guy in the red cape must be good because he's wearing red. So I should trust him. Please!

Superman needs to change, if you want the old superman you have about 80+ years of material to entertain your lack of progress, when they changed batman most seemed ok with it and today he's arguably number one,in today's world the old superman is cheesy, corny, boring, he needs to change "for tomorrow".:lecture

Superman needs to change, if you want the old superman you have about 80+ years of material to entertain your lack of progress, when they changed batman most seemed ok with it and today he's arguably number one,in today's world the old superman is cheesy, corny, boring, he needs to change "for tomorrow".:lecture

planetary7b.jpg

You wake up, go outside see two guy punching people through buildings, your going to tell me that the guy in the red cape must be good because he's wearing red. So I should trust him. Please!

I wasn't aware the entire movie is from the POV of some random person in Metropolis. Interesting.

THE AVENGERS took the time to show our heroes limiting the destruction to a few blocks and actually saving people in the process. They even showed the regular people's side of it during the denouement, making it feel relatable and hopeful.

In MAN OF STEEL you have 9/11x10 just happening, but they're still having basketball games the next day. (Ok, there is no sense of how long after the battle that was, but it might as well be the next day. Give us a dissolve, a montage, something.) There is also no attempt to show Superman helping clean up the city afterwards or how the common citizen was affected.

There is that ONE scene of Perry and Jenny saying "he saved us!" But that just comes off as awkward when millions are dead around them and ash rains from the sky.

I wasn't aware the entire movie is from the POV of some random person in Metropolis. Interesting.

I'm saying that the character should be more established before he goes around doing major damage and breaking necks! I'm all for the different version of superman, I'm all for big epic battles between two super powered beings, just establish him as a person who is here to help. Show the good of what he can do before you put him in such dire for circumstances where he's forced to kill. I would say the same thing if the 78 superman had him fighting the three villains on the first day too.

Does this person not have a tv, cell phone, tablet? Zod broadcast his message of love and peace to all of them, in their native tongue. Then I'm certain the news would have carried the story of the guy in the cape turning himself in, and wroking with the authorities. So there is that.

Not because he's wearing red. Because the other guy went on TV and threatened the entire planet. You'd tend to root for the guy fighting against that guy.

SnakeDoc

In all honesty I think the people of Earth would be terrified of Superman at this point. All they know is that an intergalactic terror came and razed a city in the process of trying to destroy all life of the planet all because he was dwelling with them.

Sure he saved the "planet" but they're down an entire city simply due to his existence. I could see the United Nations requesting that he leave not unlike whichever Bayformer movie where the US government asked the Autobots to leave thinking they were attracting Decepticons to the planet.

He really has a long way to go in showing humanity that his presence is actually a benefit.

I'm sorry, but I guess many of you don't know characterization at all. Like I said I love a good action film as much as anyone but when it is done correctly.

So, people who enjoyed MoS "don't know characterization"? O-kay.

This is not War and Peace. Superman is not hard to understand.

I'm all for the different version of superman, I'm all for big epic battles between two super powered beings, just establish him as a person who is here to help. Show the good of what he can do before you put him in such dire for circumstances where he's forced to kill. I would say the same thing if the 78 superman had him fighting the three villains on the first day too.

This is nice and all, but you know what? Sometimes life does not WAIT for you to get experienced. There isn't a nice, gentle progression of events. Anyone with a job knows this! or dare I say, anyone with kids. There you are and life throws you to the wolves! Sink or swim! Fight or flight! And in this sense, this movie is very realistic.

Superman was completely inexperienced, and here come three people who are just as powerful as he is, with ill intentions. The miracle here is that MORE people and MORE property were not destroyed.

But you don't like this, because we didn't have a three-part miniseries where the first ten hours were devoted to his childhood, the second ten hours was related to him learning the ropes at the Daily Planet, then a bunch more talking and soul-searching and the last thirty minutes of the third ten hours was.... maaaaaay-be, devoted to Superman defeating his genocidal enemies, all three of whom wield the powers of gods btw.

I throw my hands into the air in sheer disbelief!

Did you ever consider that maybe in MoS 2 is where we are going to address the issue of Superman reassuring the people of earth that he is a benefit, not a liability to the planet? Everyone has emerged from a big shock, Superman and humans alike. Now is where proving himself will begin, I bet. Just give things a chance to develop!

I added a bit in bold

THE AVENGERS took the time to show our heroes limiting the destruction to a few blocks and actually saving people in the process. They even showed the regular people's side of it during the denouement, making it feel relatable and hopeful.

In MAN OF STEEL you have 9/11x10 just happening, but they're still having basketball games the next day. (Ok, there is no sense of how long after the battle that was, but it might as well be the next day. Give us a dissolve, a montage, something.) There is also no attempt to show Superman helping clean up the city afterwards or how the common citizen was affected. And Superman's final scene is him destroying a spy drone and being a bit smug. I'm sorry but you don't get to be smug when your people came here, because of you, and almost wiped an entire city off the map

There is that ONE scene of Perry and Jenny saying "he saved us!" But that just comes off as awkward when millions are dead around them and ash rains from the sky.

That^

In all honesty I think the people of Earth would be terrified of Superman at this point. All they know is that an intergalactic terror came and razed a city in the process of trying to destroy all life of the planet all because he was dwelling with them.

Sure he saved the "planet" but they're down an entire city simply due to his existence. I could see the United Nations requesting that he leave not unlike whichever Bayformer movie where the US government asked the Autobots to leave thinking they were attracting Decepticons to the planet.

He really has a long way to go in showing humanity that his presence is actually a benefit.

and that^

He could stop a thousand bank heists and save 10,000 cats from trees and people would still be, "that's nice, but we'd rather have the million Metropolans back that died because Zod came looking for you."

Does this person not have a tv, cell phone, tablet? Zod broadcast his message of love and peace to all of them, in their native tongue. Then I'm certain the news would have carried the story of the guy in the cape turning himself in, and wroking with the authorities. So there is that.

How do you know it's Zod if you never see his face on tv? Maybe it was superman sending the message? And I don't recall seeing any cameras when he gave himself up.

How do you know it's Zod if you never see his face on tv? Maybe it was superman sending the message? And I don't recall seeing any cameras when he gave himself up.

This is getting nit picky. I could do this with every film. Why did Tony have to fly into space with the nuke? It wasn't remote controlled once he pointed it up it would have kept going. Why did Batman take the fall for Harvey. Joker had been killing people for months. Say Harvey died protecting Gordon's family. No one knows any different, and Batman doesn't take the fall. If Superman has the ability to fly so fast he can reverse time, why not go back and save Krypton?

So, people who enjoyed MoS "don't know characterization"? O-kay.

This is not War and Peace. Superman is not hard to understand.

This is nice and all, but you know what? Sometimes life does not WAIT for you to get experienced. There isn't a nice, gentle progression of events. Anyone with a job knows this! or dare I say, anyone with kids. There you are and life throws you to the wolves! Sink or swim! Fight or flight! And in this sense, this movie is very realistic.

Superman was completely inexperienced, and here come three people who are just as powerful as he is, with ill intentions. The miracle here is that MORE people and MORE property were not destroyed.

But you don't like this, because we didn't have a three-part miniseries where the first ten hours were devoted to his childhood, the second ten hours was related to him learning the ropes at the Daily Planet, then a bunch more talking and soul-searching and the last thirty minutes of the third ten hours was.... maaaaaay-be, devoted to Superman defeating his genocidal enemies, all three of whom wield the powers of gods btw.

I throw my hands into the air in sheer disbelief!

Did you ever consider that maybe in MoS 2 is where we are going to address the issue of Superman reassuring the people of earth that he is a benefit, not a liability to the planet? Everyone has emerged from a big shock, Superman and humans alike. Now is where proving himself will begin, I bet. Just give things a chance to develop!

I disagree with this totally! Batman begins did it right. Gave us characters in flash backs that told who he was, showed us how he got there, caught some crooks thereby showing his intent. Yes he did some damage, and yes some were hurt, and the bad guy was killed at the end. But when it was over the character was established and proven that he wanted to help. And it was at the beginning of his role.

Back