Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batman Begins was hardly bellweather for MOS. BB came on the back of B&R with a Director who was virtually unknown at that point in time.

MOS comes on the back of SR (so equal there with B&R), but Snyder is far better known to the general audience than Nolan was in '05 and there is the Nolan name attached which is now a household name as far as cinema goes.

SO i'm not surprised MOS is doing well at the BO, despite the mixed reviews.

Last edited:
Batman Begins was hardly bellweather for MOS. BB came on the back of B&R with a Director who was virtually unknown at that point in time.

MOS comes on the back of SR (so equal there with B&R), but Snyder is far better known to the general audience than Nolan was in '05 and there is the Nolan name attached which is now a household name as far as cinema goes.

I'm telling you, though, BATMAN BEGINS was absolutely the bellwether internally at WB. Everyone knew it was going to be an uphill battle for this to approach TDK or Marvel sequel numbers. Somewhere between BB (adjusted for inflation) and IRON MAN 1 was the goal... and that's exactly where this will land.

So did SUPERMAN RETURNS, but it seems like they poured way more into marketing with MOS.

MAN OF STEEL is way out-performing SUPERMAN RETURNS.

I agree with Adolfo about the competition being tough this summer, June was a busy month this time out.

I still think WB messed up with the release date by being 1 week late.

No, Irish, MoS was supposed to make $1 billion, and anything less is a complete failure :lecture

I know. :(

Embarrassing that this isn't doing AVENGERS or AVATAR numbers. :lecture

Can Devil make another gif where I'm jumping off a bridge in despair, only this time I'm wearing a Superman cape? :lol

Ok, it was smart for WB not having MOS going up against FF6, but c'mon, MOS could've easily beaten the Purge, it would've had 2 weeks at # 1.

WTF is the Purge of my colon even doing on that list. :slap

Yup, WB dropped the ball on the release date.

Jun. 21–27 Monsters University
Jun. 14–20 Man of Steel
Jun. 7–13 The Purge
May 31–Jun 6 Fast & Furious 6
May 24–30 Fast & Furious 6
May 17–23 Star Trek Into Darkness
May 10–16 Iron Man 3
May 3–9 Iron Man 3

Summer release dates are a tricky thing. It's always easier in hindsight. Often, these dates are selected way in advance and it becomes very difficult to move. The bigger the film and bigger the marketing campaign the harder it is. There are also deals and contracts in place with promotional partners, licensees, theater owners, etc.

Summer release dates are a tricky thing. It's always easier in hindsight. Often, these dates are selected way in advance and it becomes very difficult to move. The bigger the film and bigger the marketing campaign the harder it is. There are also deals and contracts in place with promotional partners, licensees, theater owners, etc.

This movie was actually finished way before the release wasn't it.

Didn't it have an earlier release date at one point?

This movie was actually finished way before the release wasn't it.

Didn't it have an earlier release date at one point?

It got pushed about 6 months (from Fall 2012 to Summer 2013), but that was a while ago when filming was going on and it was to allow for a full post-production cycle. The movie wasn't actually finished until March or April.

Every movie under a billion is a fail now. :lol

The general rule of thumb is that a movie must double its production budget in order to turn in a profit. So far MOS has not achieved that. Another 25 million or so is required in order to double it.

It got pushed about 6 months (from Fall 2012 to Summer 2013), but that was a while ago when filming was going on and it was to allow for a full post-production cycle. The movie wasn't actually finished until March or April.

What I love doing post movie release is going back to the start of the thread reading all the comments.

:lol

This one goes back to 10/2007. :horror

The general rule of thumb is that a movie must double its production budget in order to turn in a profit. So far MOS has not achieved that. Another 25 million or so is required in order to double it.

Actually, it has. It's at about $528 million world-wide now. The total production budget was about $223 million. Total worldwide Marketing and Distribution costs were about $167 million, but that was offset by revenue from direct partners (at least $160 million, and counting).

So the movie is already about $300 million in the green,.

Actually, it has. It's at about $528 million world-wide now. The total production budget was about $223 million. Total worldwide Marketing and Distribution costs were about $167 million, but that was offset by revenue from direct partners (at least $160 million, and counting).

So the movie is already about $300 million in the green,.

Ah **** me... my daughter cried all night and got no sleep. Math has failed me today.

Back