Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see how some of you guys actually enjoy a movie with all the over analyzation you do. :lol

Actually, for us who enjoy it don't have to analyze it, the plot just clicks.

Those who over analyze it and don't find answers to their questions, as obvious as they seem, are the ones who don't lie it :lecture

But its alot easier for us to fondly talk about the ultimate necessity of war and the inspiration that can be taken from standing up to evil when we aren't the ones that had to live through it and make the sacrifices. Back then the soldiers weren't idealistic and hopeful; they were living through hell and couldn't wait for it to be over.

Imagine the sadness that would come from having one of America's largest cities be destroyed with most of its population, and the pretty justifiable mass paranoia that would come from the knowledge that this will probably happen again at any second on a semi-regular basis.
The worldwide attitudes that would exist just don't represent Superman to me or what he is supposed to stand for.

With you all the way. For me this film just doesn't work as the ''introduction'' of Superman to the world for all the reasons you've stated. With the levels of destruction and the presumed death toll (no matter who caused it) people's primary response to this should be shock, trauma and fear. Much moreso than amazement at Superman. This would have worked much better as a 2nd or 3rd film.

And all of this is why I would have preferred a higher-stakes sequel to Superman Returns because in that scenario we wouldn't have these complaints.

and we'd have the Williams theme :monkey3

Last edited:
Why are you defending Goyer all of a sudden? I thought you were the biggest critic of his over-complicating the story.

I'm not defending Goyer at all. I was the first to bemoan the script's convoluted elements. That's a staple of the Goyer/Nolan movies. But I do think some of you hammer the movie too much on these points, particularly since the TDK films are just as bad with that stuff.

By the way, someone should've told Zod the big to do with Kal-El was overkill. If he wanted the Codex so bad, apparently all he had to do was make a trip to the closest Petco:

e9y5aryj.jpg

But its alot easier for us to fondly talk about the ultimate necessity of war and the inspiration that can be taken from standing up to evil when we aren't the ones that had to live through it and make the sacrifices. Back then the soldiers weren't idealistic and hopeful; they were living through hell and couldn't wait for it to be over.

Imagine the sadness that would come from having one of America's largest cities be destroyed with most of its population, and the pretty justifiable mass paranoia that would come from the knowledge that this will probably happen again at any second on a semi-regular basis.
The worldwide attitudes that would exist just don't represent Superman to me or what he is supposed to stand for.

That's understandable.

But it's what happened, with all respect...

tumblr_m76uxj6zMI1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

It is what it is.

Imagine that Brainiac comes in MoS2, but there's no Superman to fight for Metropolis....

Despite the destruction in MoS, Superman does represent hope despite the mass hysteria MoS should have caused.

Really? TDKR had an emotional core? I don't think so. Honestly, the only Nolam Batman film that can stand quality wise with MoS is TDK IMO.
Yeah, I say that and I don't even care much for Dark Knight Rises. I think it had a lot of problems, but the story and characters conveying genuine weight and emotion wasn't one of them. That includes whiny Alfred and quitter Batman. I didn't like some of the emotions Nolan brought out of the story, but it was there. Apart from Jor-El, Man of Steel felt full of simplistic caricatures I felt no reason to have any investment in. I would say that TDKR was the more mature movie, Man of Steel had better action, and I doubt I'll watch either one again anytime in the foreseeable future.

^ Someone got put in jail for saying a horrible thing just like that! And he too put the words "JK" at the end! Didn't help him one bit!

:lol

You probably havent read much Superman. Metropolis is constantly under attack, the citizens know it, and they endure. They are also on the fence about Superman. Most people love him, but there are a lot who think he is the cause and if he goes, so would the aliens, destruction, and the constant things that are trying to destroy the city.

Exactly. And I don't know how many times I have to point this out, but the Bruce Timm animated stuff (which is pretty much universally beloved) is the same exact thing.

Back