Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Waits/Ledger thing has gotten blown out of proportion.

Whether he was inspired/influenced by Waits or not, Ledger still made one hell of a Joker. There were actual influences that they commented on, like Alex from a Clockwork Orange, Johnny Rotten, Pete Doherty but you know what? He transcended all of those. I don't see the influences, I just see the Joker.

The original vision was this weird, punk rocker, anarchist.

tdk-aug10-joker-concept-art-4.jpg

I think Ledger took all those ideas and instead made his own thing by taking it to a different place. I never saw Tom Waits eat shrimp cocktail. I never saw Tom Waits reading from scripted notes as he tries to pitch his little morality game to the ferry boats. I never saw Tom Waits dressed in Nurse drag cleaning his hands with hand sanitizer. Ledger's Joker is special and it isn't because of some awkward 1970s interview.

Last edited:
^ We're not really disputing any of that either (well I'm not anyway).

It's just the lack of Ledger info generally, that would've been great to get an insight into his part in shaping the film.

He almost should've, for wearing that rubber suit in Tunisia while filming the mo-cap stuff - & then ILM saying, "ya'know... we probably could've just done all of Ahmed's scenes digitally in post..". :lol

Agreed. If Ledger can get one for throwing crackwhore paint over a good Waits impression, Ahmed should for Jar Jar. :lecture:lecture:lecture

This Waits/Ledger thing has gotten blown out of proportion.

Whether he was inspired/influenced by Waits or not, Ledger still made one hell of a Joker. There were actual influences that they commented on, like Alex from a Clockwork Orange, Johnny Rotten, Pete Doherty but you know what? He transcended all of those. I don't see the influences, I just see the Joker.

The original vision was this weird, punk rocker, anarchist.

I think Ledger took all those ideas and instead made his own thing by taking it to a different place. I never saw Tom Waits eat shrimp cocktail. I never saw Tom Waits reading from scripted notes as he tries to pitch his little morality game to the ferry boats. I never saw Tom Waits dressed in Nurse drag cleaning his hands with hand sanitizer. Ledger's Joker is special and it isn't because of some awkward 1970s interview.

Perfectly worded, to say it's just an impression of Waits is to turn a blind eye to 98% of the character and the great performance.

I've seen that Waits video before, and though the similarities are clear, I'm also pretty familiar with Tom Waits in general--I own most of his albums, have seen his concerts, have seen him interviewed a fair amount, and and have seen his acting in films like Down by Law. Ledger Joker never struck me as a real Waits impression. To choose some obscure interviews from 25 years in the past as your inspiration would also seem odd. Wouldn't surprise me if it really was a coincidence. Though I'm also sure that Ledger was inspired by various things he had seen before in that role.

I didn't see much of Alex DeLarge in that performance myself, though the characters may be kindred spirits. Same goes for Johnny Rotten, apart from being an aggressive, anti-establishment type.

Maybe this will give you a better appreciation for what was done.

https://youtu.be/DNMETV9A0Js?t=1m50s

It's in 720p HD quality. Joker starts at 1m50s in.

Is that all the behinds the scenes material the ultimate collection blue ray shows of Heath Ledger? If it is, I hope WB shows a lot more in the future. I would like to see the make up test video and his audition/costume test. They showed some photos in this video, but why not show it all? Nolan was like "the makeup test was amazing! Amazing to watch..we recorded everything" ....and they don't show us :lol

Last edited:
Is that all the behinds the scenes material the ultimate collection blue ray shows of Heath Ledger? If it is, I hope WB shows a lot more in the future. I would like to see the make up test video and his audition/costume test. They showed some photos in this video, but why not show it all? Nolan was like "the makeup test was amazing! Amazing to watch..we recorded everything" ....and they don't show us :lol

It's all because he's still chaffed over Ledger's death.

Ledger's joker pisses me off. Why? Because I thought he was great, but he never seemed to have the breathing time to really show us the character in TDK. Like we missed out on seeing the rest of his story/scenes.

We should have seen a whole lot more of him as he was by far the most interesting thing in the movie IMO. I found a lot of the second half of the movie grudgingly slow and dull. He could have made it almost as good as Begins, had his character been more central to the storyline.
I mean what's his actual onscreen time in TDK, 10minutes or so?
:dunno

Back