Marvel's WHAT IF?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now we're talkin'.

94893e33122.jpg

Wait, Robert Downey Jr didn't do a voice over? I thought that was the whole clickbait hook of the series when they announced it a year or two ago.

"Robert Downey Jr is back as Iron Man!!!"

I definitely remember reading crap like that.

Great animation and art style on this show. That J.C. Leyendecker style used in the Avengers still shots last week was very nice. Glad they use the original actors when possible. BC seemed a little flat doing the voice work in last nights episode especially the high emotion scenes.

I knew the Strange stuff would deliver. He is clearly the most interesting Marvel character right now with the multiverse plot. My Spidey Zombie Hunter will be good too, cause there is some Strange there. Haven't seen anything else in this What If series that seems interesting to me. Bunch of rehashes, like some of Endgame was.

That last one was indeed great. So far the series has been getting better with each episode. Hoping the trend continues. :D

Was easily the best episode, but the message seemed a bit muddled. Considering that most of the Avengers including film Steven Strange are more than fine with messing with time to bring people back from the dead; what exactly is the message here? Don't become obsessively dedicated to fixing past tragedies, unless you are in one of the situations where doing so makes it work out just fine?

Last edited:
That's a good point. This movie breaks the time travel laws set in Endgame and mostly followed in Loki. The only wait it wouldn't break those laws is if each time he travels back to the time of the accident, it created a separate timeline.

That's a good point. This movie breaks the time travel laws set in Endgame and mostly followed in Loki. The only wait it wouldn't break those laws is if each time he travels back to the time of the accident, it created a separate timeline.
Ah but this is magic time travel though, different rules :lecture
:lol

Not really because
Christine's death was described by The Ancient One as an absolute point in time that cannot be changed, whereas the Thanos snap (apparently) was not.

Strange couldn't change Christine's death so he wasn't changing anything. It was the Ancient One who fragmented him into two timelines that eventually converged, but it looked like Strange was going to destroy that verse regardless. All this show is about is rehashing a previous MCU movie. Got TFA, GOTG, Avengers and DS so far. Luckily, the events that played out with Strange were interesting.

Also at the end of Doctor Strange when he reverses the attack on the Hong Kong sanctum, bringing everyone killed in the attack including Wong back to life.

Not really because
Christine's death was described by The Ancient One as an absolute point in time that cannot be changed, whereas the Thanos snap (apparently) was not.

I am referring more on how you cannot change your own past rule of Endgame's time travel rules. This is why they could not kill a baby Thanos to prevent the snap from happening. So in theory, whatever evil Dr. Strange does should not be able to affect the present good Dr. Strange was at. Evil Dr. Strange would be in a divergent timeline.

Also at the end of Doctor Strange when he reverses the attack on the Hong Kong sanctum, bringing everyone killed in the attack including Wong back to life.
That's similar to how Thanos reversed time to bring back Vision to get the stone too good point. My head canon here is that it is not "time travel" in the sense you move to a different point in time, but more like a reversal in the flow of time where you make time move backwards.

I am referring more on how you cannot change your own past rule of Endgame's time travel rules. This is why they could not kill a baby Thanos to prevent the snap from happening. So in theory, whatever evil Dr. Strange does should not be able to affect the present good Dr. Strange was at. Evil Dr. Strange would be in a divergent timeline.

That's similar to how Thanos reversed time to bring back Vision to get the stone too good point. My head canon here is that it is not "time travel" in the sense you move to a different point in time, but more like a reversal in the flow of time where you make time move backwards.
I agree to both points. But with the first one, does going back in time not create a new branch in the timeline? Just putting the stones back doesn't do it for me, Cap literally fought himself and you think that he would not be different from that situation compared to the original timeline? Events play out the same, but it would still be a very minor difference cause something different did happen.

When good Strange made all those attempts to save Christine I assumed he repeatedly reversed time (as that's what we've seen him do previously), not travel back in time like through the quantum realm in Endgame. What I found curious is that even when he changed the circumstances of their night together (even the location - i.e., when they went to a diner & she was shot), she still died at that exact point in time. So her death was fixed, but not how she died.

I agree to both points. But with the first one, does going back in time not create a new branch in the timeline? Just putting the stones back doesn't do it for me, Cap literally fought himself and you think that he would not be different from that situation compared to the original timeline? Events play out the same, but it would still be a very minor difference cause something different did happen.
Yes that's why I think whatever evil Dr. Strange does after he gains that power should not affect good Dr. Strange since they are now in effectively separate universes.

Loki established that a substantial enough change in timelines will create a divergent line.

Back