NECA 1/4 scale predator

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Neca 1/4 Predator

Yeah it seems pointless. The back and forth here as of late has been ridiculous. I wish people could just be happy that we're getting an 18" scale Predator action figure that is extremely well sculpted. It's something I've been waiting for a long time.

At the end of the day I'm going to own the following representations of the P1 Predator:

McFarlane MMV
McFarlane MMrefresh (masked)
Hot Toys Predator (hopefully with Baloo mask)
Hot Toys Predator SS excl.
Neca 8" Classic (predators version)
Neca 8" box set version
Neca 8" masked version (whatever series it turns up in)
Neca 1/4 scale 2 versions (contemplating saying 'F' it and ordering the 3rd)

I'm only into poseable figures so I have no need for busts, statues or maquettes.

So basically ***k all y'all and this pointless slagging match

@bronsson: Seriously though, the SSC 1/4 statue is fantastic. Regardless of how anyone feels about it, if you're misguided enough to even think about comparing it to a figure, you won't get your point across. Instead, you'll give people the impression you're just jealous of those who own a far more expensive and rare piece.
NECA has the sculpt, and hopefully, they'll pump up their paint apps. But in no way does this mean you get to compare it to a completely different medium, especially when you do it in such a trollish way. Seriously, it makes people want to shout "just buy the friggin' statue already, if you're so whiny that you missed it."
BTW, the reason the NECA 1/4 Alien looks so similar to the prototype is because the paint is fairly simple. With a Predator, we know there will be differences. At least we saw this with the 7" version. We can only hope they get a little better with this newer, bigger release. In any case, cool it. You're not convincing anyone by comparing apples to oranges, or by posting "evidence" that is more faulty and disconnected than helpful. In the end, all this bickering before in-hand pics is unproductive and pointless.

@hume77: I'd side with accuracy. Paint quality, however, can also count as a part of that. Without a good paintjob, it doesn't exactly fit the definition of "accurate," because who's to know whether or not they were trying to get the colors right? In any case, to me, accuracy also means having a big head on the figures. Or rather, having everything being the same size as it was on the actual suit -- which is what we all saw on-screen. The only reason the Hot Toys P1 looks like a bobble-head with the mask on is because the mask itself is inaccurate and sticks out way too far from the head. Dunno if you've seen baloo's or taylerdurdem's custom helmets, but they fix this problem and make the figure look much better.

@everyone: The moral of the story is... every company has their Achille's Heel. Why do we need to crap up the forums against eachother when it all depends on whether or not the manufacturer knows what they're doing? You can side with whoever you want, still doesn't give grounds to do dumb things like comparing an UNRELEASED figure to a statue you haven't even seen, or getting into fights with people. If you're bored, go read a book or something.

On BBTS the unmasked closed mouth version is now listed at 69.99. $10 less than the other versions. The least popular one so far perhaps?

On BBTS the unmasked closed mouth version is now listed at 69.99. $10 less than the other versions. The least popular one so far perhaps?

Yeah, I saw that too. Thought it was weird. The closed mouth one looks to be awesome.

Maybe we're both right. Maybe the Hot Toys head is already too big for the body - considering that the body is undersized, sure, I'll accept that. But I think that the decision to place the mask over the head is a factor as well. The bobblehead effect is still there without the mask but not as pronounced IMO (see below).

As far as the possibility of NECA's mask fitting over NECA's head, we are going to have to agree to disagree on that, unless that mask is a very, very thin piece of plastic. Which, as we know, would cause complaints in its own right.

2Predator_Predator.jpg

Almost forgot how sick that proto pic is of HT's Predator. Love that pose. May have do a little reposing tomorrow. :)

The proto pics of the HT P1 were great and apart from the wild Einstein dreadlocks we got what was advertised far as I'm concerned. The mask is terrible but apart from that, and the general undersizing, its excellent.

If folks wanna go around claiming NECA is superior to the Cinemaquette, well, I'm sorry but they deserve a laughing smiley pointed in their direction. And so do all of you.

:lol @ you

:wave

I'm sure that is the reason. While there'll be some folks that'll get all of these, or maybe a couple, most will probably go with just 1, and in that case, I'd think mased or roaring unmasked will be the most popular.

Like others have said, I don't think it's necessary to compare one item to another... but it's also kind of dumb to get all defensive about it. Did anyone really expect comparisons NOT to happen?
I have to say that I agree with some who have said this is the very best looking P1 piece we've had the chance to own (all factors considered: price, detail, accuracy and size).
I've looked at pics of the quarter scale maquette plenty of times, and watched vids, and I don't think it looks half as good as this NECA piece. Sure, it looks amazing, but when you ask yourself which product looks more like what was seen in the movie... I don't think you can say the maquette is more impressive...it's just... Not(?).
The ONLY thing I believe will be a possible downfall for this NECA figure is the paint. That's it. Really, what else is anything less than perfection???
You could take that proto picture and cut out the background, plop it into a frame straight from the movie, and it would fool just about anyone. You can't say the same for many other collectibles. The sideshow maquette might be bigger, but it certainly doesn't capture the "essence" of the character very well...one of it's biggest problem is the pose, in my opinion.
Anyway, since everyone is throwing their 2 cents around, that's mine.

Will the dreads be attached separately piece by piece?

don't know if anyone's said this, but I'm thinking of kind of making it Premium Format style since it's going to have the real netting on there. I want to put a cloth material real loincloth as well as real leather straps.

then a more challenging part that I want to try is to make the mandibles removable (possibly with thin magnetic strips) in order to make a removable Bio-Mask for it...

anyone think of commissioning a Bio-Mask for this piece?

Are you getting this Steve ?

You could take that proto picture and cut out the background, plop it into a frame straight from the movie, and it would fool just about anyone. You can't say the same for many other collectibles. The sideshow maquette might be bigger, but it certainly doesn't capture the "essence" of the character very well...one of it's biggest problem is the pose, in my opinion. Anyway, since everyone is throwing their 2 cents around, that's mine.

:goodpost::exactly:

While the SS Maquette is one of the most accurate Predator statue out there, I feel that the pose is somewhat sub-par.

CM Predator has the best pose, but less accurate than the Maquette.

Neca 1:4 (proto) might be more accurate. But paint-wise is still to be seen. And our experience with Neca, normally the mass produced figures are much inferior than the proto.

We've waited so long for a screen accurate 1:4 Predator figure. Let's hope Neca can pull it off and release a well painted and accurate 1:4 predator figure.

You want to be the happiest Predator fan out there? Buy them all. They are all great collectibles.

Are all beautiful ... you can only discuss some parameters:

- fidelity of sculpture
- paint job
- posture
- Accessories
- price

The first and last interest me. For me the others are less important.

Like others have said, I don't think it's necessary to compare one item to another... but it's also kind of dumb to get all defensive about it. Did anyone really expect comparisons NOT to happen?
I have to say that I agree with some who have said this is the very best looking P1 piece we've had the chance to own (all factors considered: price, detail, accuracy and size).
I've looked at pics of the quarter scale maquette plenty of times, and watched vids, and I don't think it looks half as good as this NECA piece. Sure, it looks amazing, but when you ask yourself which product looks more like what was seen in the movie... I don't think you can say the maquette is more impressive...it's just... Not(?).
The ONLY thing I believe will be a possible downfall for this NECA figure is the paint. That's it. Really, what else is anything less than perfection???
You could take that proto picture and cut out the background, plop it into a frame straight from the movie, and it would fool just about anyone. You can't say the same for many other collectibles. The sideshow maquette might be bigger, but it certainly doesn't capture the "essence" of the character very well...one of it's biggest problem is the pose, in my opinion.
Anyway, since everyone is throwing their 2 cents around, that's mine.

:exactly: i havent said anything until now but i agree with every point you made.
enough said.

Back