NECA's 18" ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: NECA's 18" ALIEN

that base looks great, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that really should've come with a top-heavy figure like that in the first place.

did neca not figure that out in the prototyping stage?
do they design stuff in a crazy space-shop with different gravity?
it boggles the mind.
________
Chevrolet vega specifications

Last edited:
Well, I think it was mentioned that they decided to go with accuracy rather than increasing the size of the feet for more stability. But don't get me wrong -- it'll stand up OK in many situations. It's just that I don't have a lot of options in my house for placing a figure so big. The places that I did want to put it seemed to suffer from vibrations from people walking by and so forth, so it tended to fall down.

Still, the main reason I made the base was that I wanted to try making a cool base. :)

I think that looks absolutely superb, and I wouldn't add to it any further. As it stands it's very stylish, but also in keeping with the film, and I personally think that too much in the way of acid burns, or slime, might actually detract from the look of it.

But what do I know, it's your handiwork. Go with what you think looks good. :)

that base looks outstanding!!!! I'm definitely planning on making a base for him as well... and am thinking the grating idea as well. Need to watch the movie a few more times to get inspired.

I think that looks absolutely superb, and I wouldn't add to it any further. As it stands it's very stylish, but also in keeping with the film, and I personally think that too much in the way of acid burns, or slime, might actually detract from the look of it.

It's true that you can go overboard on that kind of thing, and of course a base shouldn't attract too much attention away from what it's showing off. I'm also concerned that if I take a dremel to it and it doesn't work out, I could end up ruining the whole thing. So I think I will leave it the way it is for a little while and see how I feel about it.

that base looks outstanding!!!! I'm definitely planning on making a base for him as well... and am thinking the grating idea as well. Need to watch the movie a few more times to get inspired.

Awesome. I've never really made anything out of wood before, so it's definitely an approachable project.

Ya, a nice base and the right lighting and you could probably pass it off as a Cinemaquette.

Obviously it won't hold up to close inspection, if only because of the articulation, but with a base it really does look like a high-end statue of some kind. I still can't believe it's only $40. I've spent a lot more than that on figures that aren't remotely as impressive.

I was just going to say, with the base it somehow looks like much more than an action figure, more like a high-end statue.

I haven't seen many different poses with this Alien yet though. Can it move its head up and down much, and can you get it into a crouch etc? I'm sure I saw one of the pre-production shots where it had its arms spread...

I've been considering slime-effects myself, but I can really only think of temporary ones if I don't get something that will dry just the way I want it to - in the film, they used K-Y Jelly :)banana) to simulate mucus, and it worked wonders (if you catch my drift).
So that would work REALLY well for a photo-shoot, but you'd probably want to clean up afterwards :duh

I haven't decided how many I'm getting, but I know I'll get at least one of each (one 18" and one 9" to maul Superman, Laura Croft, and Master Chief on my shelf...)

I was just going to say, with the base it somehow looks like much more than an action figure, more like a high-end statue.

I haven't seen many different poses with this Alien yet though. Can it move its head up and down much, and can you get it into a crouch etc? I'm sure I saw one of the pre-production shots where it had its arms spread...

It has the same articulation as the 9", but due to its size and weight it's a more difficult to pose. IMHO.

As I mentioned earlier, I love this figure, but it's not the most stable. So I decided to make a simple base for it. Obviously it's supposed to look like a metal grating like you might find on the Nostromo. It's not really based off any particular scene, but it was sort of inspired by a couple of shots from the film. It's scratch built from a large piece of wood and a lot of pre-cut strips of basswood (like they sell in hobby stores) glued in place to make the grating. It looks black in the pictures, but it's actually a sort of dark silver, and I covered the grating part with gloss cote to make it look wet. In person, it's a pretty good effect. I drilled a couple of holes and inserted some metal rods to go into the holes in the alien's feet. The holes in the feet only go in about 1/4 of an inch, so it's still not 100% stable, but it's a lot better than before.

NECA_alien_base1.jpg

NECA_alien_base2.jpg

Wow that base looks sharp icruise :horror…nice work.

I got this MF today, but haven’t got time to take it out of the box yet. What strikes me was that it’s much heavier that I imagine. I’m most definitely going to glue the damn thing together, but after seeing you’re base I consider doing a base for it also. I have some earlier practise making thing out of wood, but any material will work after slamming some paint on it. :naughty

Thanks for sharing. :joy

Here is a thing I made out of Balsa wood some years ago.

Bat_Prosjekt.jpg
SAFE3~1_copy.jpg

:D

HOLY HELL! I would love to put my custom Keaton in front of that door!

Got my 9 inch ALIEN In today! ROCKS! :rock
Now, I have both NECAs! :rock

Back