NECA's 18" ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that, technically, the Classic Alien has had about 5 "variants" or issues.

The first run figures, with the clear dome and gloss paint apps,

The second run with the foggy dome and gloss paint apps,

The third run in the Alien and Predator 2-pack with the foggy dome and minimal (if any) gloss paint apps (I Prefer this one myself, I like the muted colors due to the lack of the gloss)

The fourth run manufactured in september 2010, with paint apps similar to the second run figures, but with more black paint paint
"fogging"around the dome edges and the front of the "skull", and gloss.

And the fifth run manufactured in april 2011, with a dome similar the fourth release, but with very heavy and bright silver paint apps and gloss.

There could be more, but I tried to get one from every production run of this figure, so I think that's it. Technically, only the first 2 are variants, and the rest are just paint variances due to the factory, probably not due to any ordered paint changes. But if you have a preference, they are noticably different if you closely enough.

I don't think so many variants were made of the 18" figure, but who knows...
At any rate, what I would like is a re-sculpt of the figure to bring it up to today's NECA standards. And in the 18" scale with new factory paint apps.

I don't think so many variants were made of the 18" figure, but who knows...
At any rate, what I would like is a re-sculpt of the figure to bring it up to today's NECA standards. And in the 18" scale with new factory paint apps.

There were at least 2 as far as I could tell - almost crystal clear domes (which I highly disliked) and at least two shipments of foggy domes (very noticeable); they were the ones I picked up. Still had to do some touch-ups, but honestly the "skull" under the dome was NOT that noticeable on-film.:lecture

There were at least 2 as far as I could tell - almost crystal clear domes (which I highly disliked) and at least two shipments of foggy domes (very noticeable); they were the ones I picked up. Still had to do some touch-ups, but honestly the "skull" under the dome was NOT that noticeable on-film.:lecture
If at all.

Foggy > clear

I finally got this. It's awesome.

IMGA0080.jpg

This different versions is confusing as I doubt ebay stores selling will know that version but I am probs safe as the original clear dome must have all gone by now.

Im not sure if I should get this or the 18" Endo atm.

This different versions is confusing as I doubt ebay stores selling will know that version but I am probs safe as the original clear dome must have all gone by now.

Im not sure if I should get this or the 18" Endo atm.

Both are great, but overall the Alien is better as the Endo needs to be repainted to make it shine (both literally and figuratively).

Both are great, but overall the Alien is better as the Endo needs to be repainted to make it shine (both literally and figuratively).

yeah the alien does look bad ass!
I noticed BBTS said pre order sold out due in January 2012.
It seems sold out most places in the UK.
Play have it for £40 but it says ships in 1 - 2 weeks so not sure if they even have the stock.

which will always make me wonder, Why bother making the Skull and putting it in the first place? why bother at all???? :slap
wtf

which will always make me wonder, Why bother making the Skull and putting it in the first place? why bother at all???? :slap
wtf

It shows how much thought went into the design.

I would wager there's some shots cut that showed the skull, and Alien in fuller light. But that doesn't look as cool as it in the shadows.

It shows how much thought went into the design.

I would wager there's some shots cut that showed the skull, and Alien in fuller light. But that doesn't look as cool as it in the shadows.
I doubt they thought it would be completely covered up when they added it.

Plus, I think in a few scenes, if you look hard..you can just BARELY see it.

I prefer the foggy/milky look anyway though.

Yeah I prefer the foggy look. Seeing all of the skull just looks odd and not very movie accurate.

I emailed a seller and asked if the dome is cloudy or clear. Hear is hoping its cloudy!

wtf
Originally the dome was supposed to be completely see through but it kept fogging up with condensation off the guys breath in the suit. It happened so much they decided to just make the a new dome ready-fogged for the rest of the movie

Originally the dome was supposed to be completely see through but it kept fogging up with condensation off the guys breath in the suit. It happened so much they decided to just make the a new dome ready-fogged for the rest of the movie

Huh?
Where did you get that info from? Never heard of that before.

Back