NFL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, not old. I kind of agree. There is a time an place for it. For example if they are getting their asses kicked I don't like it when a lineman sacks the QB and acts like he just found the Holy Grail on the field. It's like damn dude, you're losing. :lol:slap

No..old. But that's besides the point. I don't think you should really showboat ever. It's one thing to celebrate, it's another to showoff and showboat. To me that crosses the line of being a good sport. But then again that's what the NFL has become. It's all about the money and showing off and bling. No more team loyalty or giving back to the fans or playing as good sports. And I'm not just bashing Jackson...it's league-wide, not just him.

No..old. But that's besides the point. I don't think you should really showboat ever. It's one thing to celebrate, it's another to showoff and showboat. To me that crosses the line of being a good sport. But then again that's what the NFL has become. It's all about the money and showing off and bling. No more team loyalty or giving back to the fans or playing as good sports. And I'm not just bashing Jackson...it's league-wide, not just him.

The NFL doesn't care about the fans. Look no further than the current ticket prices for some of the big teams. The true fans can't afford to pay $350 a ticket to go see a game. :mad: They need to come up with a way to stop scalpers. It ____ing drives me nuts!

The NFL doesn't care about the fans. Look no further than the current ticket prices for some of the big teams. The true fans can't afford to pay $350 a ticket to go see a game. :mad: They need to come up with a way to stop scalpers. It ____ing drives me nuts!

It's not just the scalpers, it's the teams needing to raise money to support players getting paid astronomical amounts. The NFL will eventually price itself out of the market. I've always been more of a soccer fan than football fan and it's gotten to the point where I can't even sit and watch a football game because of all the commercials, concerts, and other crap that goes on. Just play football...I don't need to see 100 male erectile commercials and Miley Cyrus dancing at halftime.

It's not just the scalpers, it's the teams needing to raise money to support players getting paid astronomical amounts. The NFL will eventually price itself out of the market. I've always been more of a soccer fan than football fan and it's gotten to the point where I can't even sit and watch a football game because of all the commercials, concerts, and other crap that goes on. Just play football...I don't need to see 100 male erectile commercials and Miley Cyrus dancing at halftime.

LOL! The introductions to SNF and MNF football are insane as well. Just play! :gah:

We'll have to agree to disagree. It might be an age/generation thing but I like it when my guy scores a touchdown he just hands the ball to the ref. No showboating, no celebrating, just getting on with the game. And wow does that make me sound old...

I view the age/generation argument as a cop out. Players have been celebrating/showboating for the 40 years I've been watching football. One of the more famous from the 70's was Billy Whiteshoes Johnson's pistol show.

I couldn't care less how a guy showboats on the field. Or off the field for that matter. What bothers me is when the "news" organizations focus on that ____ over real sports news, and I have to sit through 20 minutes of debate about TO's suicide threat or Vince Young crying in his beer in order to find out anything useful.

He doesn't do it every play. He doesn't even do it every touchdown. :dunno

As for the hall of fame. He's pretty much going to be there. He already has been the first player in NFL history to go to the pro-bowl under two positions. He now has the first ever game winning punt return at the end of regulation.

Last year at the age of 22 he tied an NFL record for touchdowns of 50 yards or more in a season.

So I would said he's well on his way. :monkey1

Let him do it over a career and we will see. What is it his 2nd or 3rd season? You NEVER know what can happen. Its WAY to early to even say such a thing and its pretty damm stupid to say so.

I think the celebrations are idiotic. But having said that...it IS a game in the end. Do we really think that some straight-faced highly professional attitude is appropriate on the gridiron? It is not like these goons are sitting at a roundtable meeting of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. And I see dumber ____ coming from fans that take it too seriously.

I think the offense that people feel about this should be pointed at how criminals are glorified just because they can play a game and at how much these clowns make long before it should be pointed at the celebrations.

I will be a happy man if the season is played with replacements next year. And if that happens...I will hope it serves as a wake-up call to a small group of the current players to get their heads out of their asses and be happy they are getting rich by playing a game.

He doesn't do it every play. He doesn't even do it every touchdown. :dunno

As for the hall of fame. He's pretty much going to be there. He already has been the first player in NFL history to go to the pro-bowl under two positions. He now has the first ever game winning punt return at the end of regulation.

Last year at the age of 22 he tied an NFL record for touchdowns of 50 yards or more in a season.

So I would said he's well on his way. :monkey1

Yikes, he's not within 100 miles of the HOF right now.

I think the celebrations are idiotic. But having said that...it IS a game in the end. Do we really think that some straight-faced highly professional attitude is appropriate on the gridiron? It is not like these goons are sitting at a roundtable meeting of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. And I see dumber ____ coming from fans that take it too seriously.

Exactly! Hell listen to them in interviews. They usually say "Hey man. I'm just out there having fun."

It's game. Most of them still play because its what they love and enjoy it. Of course the money is good. But they didn't spend years growing up playing a game that they hated.

I love watching people out there having fun. I don't care what team there on. I can even get a laugh out of some of TO's stuff. The sharpie and the Dallas star celebration come to mind.

Exactly! Hell listen to them in interviews. They usually say "Hey man. I'm just out there having fun."

It's game. Most of them still play because its what they love and enjoy it. Of course the money is good. But they didn't spend years growing up playing a game that they hated.

I love watching people out there having fun. I don't care what team there on. I can even get a laugh out of some of TO's stuff. The sharpie and the Dallas star celebration come to mind.

I love how players use both its a game and its a business so freely, sorry it can't be both. n If you want to go do what you want be unprofessional they you should be paid in such a way, and if you want to say you should be paid because this is a business act professional.

I would bet a that if they had to play for say 100K a year you would find its not as much about the game as it is about the money. Its easy to see that too look at how many leave college for the pros, if its not about money why leave early. I would say the majority of the scholarship players in college do it to further career, either make the pros or to get free college education. The only ones I would say are truly playing for fun are walk ons.

I love how players use both its a game and its a business so freely, sorry it can't be both.

Sure it can. That goes for any job. Most people try to choose a career that they enjoy doing and make as much money as possible while doing it.

Not everyone is that fortunate of course. You can get stuck in a ____ty job, that you hate, making next to nothing, and be miserable.

Lets face it. These guys are set after their initial contract expires. They could retire and move on and live a happy life. I'm sure some come back for the money. However, if they hated it, I doubt they would. They come back for both enjoyment and a decent pay check.

Then you have players like Haynesworth or Andrews that want the money but don't really seem to care about playing. So of course that can happen too.

I believe that a game can be a business. But I have said it before and I will say it again. I believe the highest salary for a football player should be less than 500,000 dollars a year...total...before taxes and after bonuses. If they are good and can get endorsements on the side...more power to them...but the paycheck for the best of the best should not be that much. What they are making right now is a slap in the face to the fans. They just are not that critical to society.

Edit - And I feel that way for ALL entertainers. Not just athletes.

Football is entertainment. "Sportsmanship" should matter to some extent, but I say let the players self-police if a guy crosses that line (wherever that is). If they think someone is being overly disrespectful, then another player can show him how he feels on the field. Refs already do too much to reign in these guys' emotions and ability to celebrate.
Acting "professional" in one field is completely different than doing so elsewhere. Football players ain't in suits playing chess in front of silent spectators. Let them have fun now and again.

I believe that a game can be a business. But I have said it before and I will say it again. I believe the highest salary for a football player should be less than 500,000 dollars a year...total...before taxes and after bonuses. If they are good and can get endorsements on the side...more power to them...but the paycheck for the best of the best should not be that much. What they are making right now is a slap in the face to the fans. They just are not that critical to society.
For better or worse, the market disagrees.

Sure it can. That goes for any job. Most people try to choose a career that they enjoy doing and make as much money as possible while doing it.

Not everyone is that fortunate of course. You can get stuck in a ____ty job, that you hate, making next to nothing, and be miserable.

Lets face it. These guys are set after their initial contract expires. They could retire and move on and live a happy life. I'm sure some come back for the money. However, if they hated it, I doubt they would. They come back for both enjoyment and a decent pay check.

Then you have players like Haynesworth or Andrews that want the money but don't really seem to care about playing. So of course that can happen too.
Ok so you would go and do stupid stuff at work if you likes the job? Then say ohh its just a game? I highly doubt it. Sorry its either a business or a game.

If that was the case then they would play for free, donate all the $ to charity etc... They don't sorry they are all there for the money. If they made what say a teacher makes a year I bet you wouldn't see a lot of them playing. Also most are not set after initial contract, most of them are still fairly broke since they waste and blow money. You would be very surprised how poor pro players handle their money. I have a few friends who played NFL football, and one HAD a big first contract. He is doing good but hes not by any way set for life the rest are still working regular job and aren't any more financially sound then I am. One still plays and I still to this day can't figure where all the money went.

Football is entertainment. "Sportsmanship" should matter to some extent, but I say let the players self-police if a guy crosses that line (wherever that is). If they think someone is being overly disrespectful, then another player can show him how he feels on the field. Refs already do too much to reign in these guys' emotions and ability to celebrate.
Acting "professional" in one field is completely different than doing so elsewhere. Football players ain't in suits playing chess in front of silent spectators. Let them have fun now and again.

I don't kid myself about that...but I fault fans for that. They will spend 300.00 on a stupid-assed jersey with a name and number on it...they will pay a lot extra if the stupid jersey has a signature. To me...this is ridiculous.

And yes...I see me doing the same thing when I buy my action figures from Sideshow. And though it is contradictory..I think that is stupid as well.

There are norms of behavior that vary by profession. A policeman acts differently than a whore who acts differently from a custodial worker who acts differently from a fishmonger. I don't see this uniform set of professional behaviors that you are talking about.

Having fun is one thing, showing up people is another. Perfect example is TO standing in the star thats , Jackson falling backward into end zone, those are just trying to show someone up and should be fined, penalized ect.. Now some of the stuff Ocho Cinco does is just plain having fun like the putting the ball with the goal line maker.

Back